Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 04:01 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
I firmly believe that blacks are over represented in the U.S media. It's mostly due to political correctness and people trying to make up for past mistakes. What I feel -and thank God it's changing- it's that Latinos and Asians are very underrepresented at the moment.
Overrepresented? really??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 04:05 PM

844 posts, read 1,063,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Overrepresented? really??
Yes, I do believe that. Just take a look at any award show, and you'll see much more of them than what you'd expect for a group that represents, about 13% of the U.S population. But again, Jews are uber represented as well.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:12 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,531,661 times
Quote:
I firmly believe that blacks are over represented in the U.S media. It's mostly due to political correctness and people trying to make up for past mistakes. What I feel -and thank God it's changing- it's that Latinos and Asians are very underrepresented at the moment.

Really? How?

The fact that Latinos are under represented doesn't mean that you ought to envy black representation. Understand something. African Americans were part of the building blocks of this nation. Most arrived before 1776. African Americans have played a strong role in this country's formation and in its evolution.

Not only this, but they have become role models in enabling darker people of African descent in Latin America and Europe formulate strategies to improve their situation, whether people wish to admit this or not.

And I am not African American.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Yes, I do believe that. Just take a look at any award show, and you'll see much more of them than what you'd expect for a group that represents, about 13% of the U.S population. But again, Jews are uber represented as well.

No you see more than YOU will expect because you come from lands where people looking like them are kept in the kitchen! I very much doubt that blacks account for 1 in every 8 people playing a pivotal role in the media.

How often do you see blacks receiving awards in mainstream environments, outside of the music industry?

Old 04-13-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
No you see more than YOU will expect because you come from lands where people looking like them are kept in the kitchen! I very much doubt that blacks account for 1 in every 8 people playing a pivotal role in the media.

How often do you see blacks receiving awards in mainstream environments, outside of the music industry?
Caribny, let's keep this conversation in a most adult like way plz. Regardless of where I come from, or who's in the kitchen, black people are over represented in the U.S media. Now, don't take it too hard, it's just my impression and I do not own the truth.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Really? How?

The fact that Latinos are under represented doesn't mean that you ought to envy black representation. Understand something.

And I am not African American.
Envy it's a very strong word. I didnt mean to say that I'm glad blacks are getting less attention, but that Hispanics and Asians are getting more.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
black people are over represented in the U.S media. Now, don't take it too hard, it's just my impression and I do not own the truth.
Clearly you don't own the truth. Yes blacks are more represented in the media than are other non whites, but to claim that blacks are OVER represented is carrying this too far. Even in their representation they most often have to act as spokespersons for the organization which they represent, which are invariable dominated by elite white interest.

So I am not going to remain quiet while some one suggests that black people are a bunch of spoiled kids who get too much attention. All one has to do is go over to the Political forum to see how packed it is with white racists who will gladly turn the clock back to 1960 if they can do this.

Hispanics and Asians need to argue for MORE representation. But not by implying that blacks get too much.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:

So I am not going to remain quiet while some one suggests that black people are a bunch of spoiled kids who get too much attention. All one has to do is go over to the Political forum to see how packed it is with white racists who will gladly turn the clock back to 1960 if they can do this.

Hispanics and Asians need to argue for MORE representation. But not by implying that blacks get too much.
Just so you know, this is not the political forum. And Latinos -for the most part- have nothing against Blacks, Asians nor even whites. Remember that Latinos come in all colors, so a big number of us have black ancestry.
Everyone has a cause. Glad to read you have yours Caribny.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:30 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,618 times
Not very laughable compared to Fox and the rest of the crew...

Old 04-13-2014, 07:39 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,730 times
I have no problem with the overrepresentation of blacks in the U.S media. I think its a good thing overall. They must be careful though. Being in the media is bad aswell. Alot of tv programs enforce negative stereotypes that can be hurtful to any ethnicity. Such as Basketball wifes with Blacks, Mobwifes and JerseyShore with Italians, 16 and pregnant with our American youth, HoneyBoo and other similar shows where rednecks act goofy and stupid with the Southern People etc.

I dont understand why a American would criticize Latin American tv when its probably worst. Yes Latin women are shown as sexy, but i think its a good kind of sexy. American tv either portrays women as too uptight and robot like or too skanky and flashing everthing around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas