Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can the average Black American pass as a Nigerian?
Yes 6 17.14%
No 29 82.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 12:40 PM

102 posts, read 166,481 times

Advertisements

[quote=caribny;34349046] I have a theory that AAs with origins in the East Coast will be more mixed than in regions like Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia.
Georgia is on the east coast...

Old 04-13-2014, 01:01 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,531,661 times
[quote=Rising-Star;34349147]
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I have a theory that AAs with origins in the East Coast will be more mixed than in regions like Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia.
Georgia is on the east coast...

True but when people talk about the East Coast do they usually include GA? Isn't it usually the NE and Mid Atlantic?

Old 04-13-2014, 01:19 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times
Quote:

I am not even sure whether there is even a unique AA "look", given the fact that different regions of the USA had different traditions in terms of where slaves were sourced as well as the degree of mixing with the Scots-Irish indentures ( the possible origin of most AAs European ancestry, and not the frequent belief of slave owner rapes). I have a theory that AAs with origins in the East Coast will be more mixed than in regions like Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. This because slavery was at its peak in those regions when there were substantial numbers of Scots/Irish indentures. By the peak of slavery in the Deep South white "slaves" no longer existed.
Good points and what you're saying becomes obvious when one considers that Black Americans are the only non European group to have Irish and Scottish surnames in any large numbers. There are many McDonald's, McCoy's and O'Brien's who are black.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:21 PM

[quote=caribny;34349360]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising-Star View Post

True but when people talk about the East Coast do they usually include GA? Isn't it usually the NE and Mid Atlantic?
Yep, from "Delmarva" up to Maine.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:32 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Good points and what you're saying becomes obvious when one considers that Black Americans are the only non European group to have Irish and Scottish surnames in any large numbers. There are many McDonald's, McCoy's and O'Brien's who are black.
Let's not forget Murphy, Jackson, Johnson and Wallace (Wallace allegedly deriving from the Scottish MacAulish).

Old 04-13-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Let's not forget Murphy, Jackson, Johnson and Wallace (Wallace allegedly deriving from the Scottish MacAulish).
Of course

Old 04-13-2014, 02:06 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,531,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post

There is a whole Irish and black history that I will explore one of these days. Not only in the USA but also in the Caribbean.

This might ruffle some feathers though because it will turn out that the Scots Irish absorbed more "Africanisms" than they will want to admit. The interaction definitely wasn't one way. There is a whole sarcastic, and direct (to the point of being rude at times) sense of humor that both AAs and the Scots Irish share. Coincidentally so do Afro Caribbean and at least some Africans (Akan groups).

Old 04-13-2014, 02:13 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Me personally I can tell the difference between Black Americans and any African including Senegambia regions or Ghana regions. Point blank, we don't look much alike to me. Black Americans and Caribbean Blacks it would be harder. As far as European admixture, I'm not going to touch it as it will create a bit of uncomfortableness around here. But I will just say that don't believe everything that is taught to you without verifying it yourself.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
There is a whole Irish and black history that I will explore one of these days. Not only in the USA but also in the Caribbean.

This might ruffle some feathers though because it will turn out that the Scots Irish absorbed more "Africanisms" than they will want to admit. The interaction definitely wasn't one way. There is a whole sarcastic, and direct (to the point of being rude at times) sense of humor that both AAs and the Scots Irish share. Coincidentally so do Afro Caribbean and at least some Africans (Akan groups).
I agree with this and so did the Irish people I used to work with each summer. We would get varying numbers of them, mostly students. On more than one occasion one or two would tell me that Black Americans remind them the most of people "back home". Our manner of speaking and the humor we used they apparently relate to very well. I remember them using a very similar brand of sarcasm too.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Me personally I can tell the difference between Black Americans and any African including Senegambia regions or Ghana regions. Point blank, we don't look much alike to me. Black Americans and Caribbean Blacks it would be harder. As far as European admixture, I'm not going to touch it as it will create a bit of uncomfortableness around here. But I will just say that don't believe everything that is taught to you without verifying it yourself.
Besides the irish and others, we had employees of various African origins as well. Most of the time, I could tell the difference. Well with Somalians this is rather obvious and they were the most numerous of the Africans. There was one Sudanese guy who we all thought was American but he was the exception. There was a Nigerian-French guy who almost looked like a Black American but he had a more sloping forehead. Beyond that, he was very French in his behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas