Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 12:25 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,971,897 times

Advertisements

Will be taking an extended weekend to Mendoza, Argentina with the woman and was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for things to do? Trying to do this on the cheaper side.

Any cool things to see or do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 02:16 PM

552 posts, read 1,058,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Will be taking an extended weekend to Mendoza, Argentina with the woman and was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for things to do? Trying to do this on the cheaper side.

Any cool things to see or do?
It's been many years and things have changed greatly in both Argentina and Chile since I was last there.

That said . . .I would stay in Vina De Mar and eat seafood and sleep . . .best seafood in the world.

To your point, firstly it depends if you are driving or taking the bus? Flying is expensive. I think you have to go by Turbus for a day light journey: ¿Qué es Plataforma 10? | Plataforma 10 Most bus companies make that a night trip. I wanted to see the Andean pass so I took the Turbus.

If you drive make sure you have a car with horsepower enough for the high altitude coming from sea-level. I've had that problem in the past. If the car begins to heat up, turn on the heater and dissipate the heat.

Mendoza is all about wine and hot, sweltering hot, in the summer. Being it nearing autumn now in your part of the world that may not matter. Stayed at the Hostal Confluencia which was not too expensive and very nice:
Home » Hostal Confluencia - Hostel en Mendoza, Argentina

This page may be more helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...mar+to+Mendoza

I spent two days in Mendoza then went to Salta which I really enjoyed. I liked the Andesmar bus in Argentina. I tried to connect with Platforma 10 but have a poor connection for some reason it may work better for you.

Good luck

Old 05-05-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
It's been many years and things have changed greatly in both Argentina and Chile since I was last there.

That said . . .I would stay in Vina De Mar and eat seafood and sleep . . .best seafood in the world.

To your point, firstly it depends if you are driving or taking the bus? Flying is expensive. I think you have to go by Turbus for a day light journey: ¿Qué es Plataforma 10? | Plataforma 10 Most bus companies make that a night trip. I wanted to see the Andean pass so I took the Turbus.

If you drive make sure you have a car with horsepower enough for the high altitude coming from sea-level. I've had that problem in the past. If the car begins to heat up, turn on the heater and dissipate the heat.

Mendoza is all about wine and hot, sweltering hot, in the summer. Being it nearing autumn now in your part of the world that may not matter. Stayed at the Hostal Confluencia which was not too expensive and very nice:
Home » Hostal Confluencia - Hostel en Mendoza, Argentina

This page may be more helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...mar+to+Mendoza

I spent two days in Mendoza then went to Salta which I really enjoyed. I liked the Andesmar bus in Argentina. I tried to connect with Platforma 10 but have a poor connection for some reason it may work better for you.

Good luck
Yeah, but I've been living here in Viña for a little while now. My girlfriend is from Valparaiso and we usually take weekend getaways to other places in the region but we decided on going to Argentina this month. I'd probably give the same advice to a tourist though, Viña/Valpo is great.

We are going to take the bus, I got a good deal through Turbus and got a nice deal on a hotel downtown as well. All parts of the actual travel are booked and set up. I'm just looking for some ideas on things to do while there. On our trip to Santiago, we went without planning and ended up laying down in a park and just falling asleep, lol. Trying to avoid that again

Were there any activities that you did while you were in Mendoza or did you just kind of walk around and do sight seeing?

Old 05-05-2014, 05:32 PM

32,685 posts, read 48,227,692 times
Burglar, go read allchile. The expats who have to renew their visas go to Mendosa twice a year, so there is lots of advice about how to get there and where to eat and where to stay

Old 05-08-2014, 06:54 AM

Default Mendoza, Argentina - Advice

I didn't get too many responses in the travel section so I thought I'd post here.

I'm taking a long weekend trip with my girlfriend to Mendoza. I don't know too much about the city so I was wondering if anyone who has been there can recommend a few things to do or places to eat.

Also, what are some good typical Argentine foods that I should try?

Old 05-08-2014, 09:14 AM

552 posts, read 1,058,702 times
Quote:
Yeah, but I've been living here in Viña for a little while now. My girlfriend is from Valparaiso and we usually take weekend getaways to other places in the region but we decided on going to Argentina this month. I'd probably give the same advice to a tourist though, Viña/Valpo is great.

We are going to take the bus, I got a good deal through Turbus and got a nice deal on a hotel downtown as well. All parts of the actual travel are booked and set up. I'm just looking for some ideas on things to do while there. On our trip to Santiago, we went without planning and ended up laying down in a park and just falling asleep, lol. Trying to avoid that again

Were there any activities that you did while you were in Mendoza or did you just kind of walk around and do sight seeing?
I was there to perform (musician) when it was sweltering hot. If you are interested in wines there are lots of tastings and tours . . .not that I did. It also had a number of up scale restaurants. Like I said I was only there two days and sort of "captured" by my host and the heat.

Google Maps: https://maps.google.com/ now has "Get Directions" and map of the city you might find useful.
Mendoza is a gateway to the high Andes with mountain sports. For reasons I can't fully explain Mendoza didn't resonate with me. . .just another loud city at the time. Otoh, I had been traveling hard and trying to keep my chops up. I'd check out that x pat site someone else mentioned.

Have fun.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:21 AM

2,953 posts, read 2,926,855 times
Quote:
I didn't get too many responses in the travel section so I thought I'd post here.

I'm taking a long weekend trip with my girlfriend to Mendoza. I don't know too much about the city so I was wondering if anyone who has been there can recommend a few things to do or places to eat.

Also, what are some good typical Argentine foods that I should try?
Try this: Mendoza Turismo - Información turística sobre Mendoza, Argentina - TripAdvisor and this Actividades en Mendoza - Cosas que hacer en Mendoza - TripAdvisor

Best rated activities in Mendoza:

- Visit to Aconcagua National Park
- The way of the 365 curves
- Los pingos horse riding
- Visit to Parque General San Martín (in the city, great monument of the Andean Cross)
- Visit to lake Potrerillos
- Baccus Vineyards Biking
- Visit to Paramillos mine
- Wine Museum

I recommend also visit the Villavicencio Hotel:

Hotel de Villavicencio por Caledi, en Flickr

Last edited by marlaver; 05-10-2014 at 09:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas