Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,228 times

Advertisements

I will be entering Mexico from San Ysidro border entry and am looking for a bus to go from that area to Mexico City where I will be going onto a TICO bus into El Salvador. Does anyone know what options I have for travel and possible prices
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 05:31 PM

10,664 posts, read 16,088,959 times
You know what they say about crossing borders by bus in 3rd world countries right
Expect to be scammed or your luggage stolen.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:49 PM

552 posts, read 1,060,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgarcia123 View Post
I will be entering Mexico from San Ysidro border entry and am looking for a bus to go from that area to Mexico City where I will be going onto a TICO bus into El Salvador. Does anyone know what options I have for travel and possible prices
You might be better off going from Arizona south to Mexico City. Otherwise you'll need to travel down Baja, MX and take a ferry to the mainland. Check the Baja Ferry schedule and cost. I've travel the TICO bus, many times from Mexico City to Panama but that was long ago. It was fun, you could get off and spend a few days at a stop and pick up your trip again when you're ready.

Mexico and Baja Ferry - Baja Ferry Information - Mexbound Mexico Insurance

Old 05-10-2014, 07:02 PM

6,386 posts, read 11,924,404 times
Most people do the flight now because its the same price or cheaper. Maybe not with short notice, but with 2 week advance purchase a flight from Tijuana to Mexico should be around $100-150 and a bus will be about the same. I have never taken the 25 hour bus, but I can't imagine its terribly scenic.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:54 PM

6,368 posts, read 7,820,483 times
You couldn't pay me $100,000 to ride a bus cross-country in Mexico, especially if you are going through the mountains. They pass on blind curves in the mountains, dontcha ya know? It's almost like murders in Chicago...crashes happen so often that the news media don't report them anymore. Local, city buses are fine as are subways.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:17 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,807,919 times
I haven't ridden a bus from Tijuana to central Mexico in years, but you can probably get information online about the cost.

I do have experience riding many buses all over Central and Southern Mexico, and it is an excellent transportation system. The buses are very clean, organized, prompt. I have only ridden first class though, I'm not sure about the other classes.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:19 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,807,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
You couldn't pay me $100,000 to ride a bus cross-country in Mexico, especially if you are going through the mountains. They pass on blind curves in the mountains, dontcha ya know? It's almost like murders in Chicago...crashes happen so often that the news media don't report them anymore. Local, city buses are fine as are subways.
That is pretty much all of Latin America. Have ridden buses all over and it is the same thing.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:09 PM

23,317 posts, read 29,186,172 times
In 2004, I took the bus from the Guatemala border to Nogales, via Guadalajara, Mexico City, Tepic. It was a luxury bus, and that was the big disappointment, as having ridden around Central America on those exciting, fun-to-ride chicken buses, I would have preferred to cross the country that way, but I was told the chicken buses have been retired!

I didn't find much scenery along the way, worth noting, but the biggest irritants were the stops by the Federales to look for drugs and illegals on the bus coming from Central America and elsewhere, and going thru your luggage. Very time-consuming and annoying! And for that reason, I won't take another bus trip across Mexico! I never had to endure this in Central America!

Old 05-20-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
You know what they say about crossing borders by bus in 3rd world countries right
Expect to be scammed or your luggage stolen.
On my 5 trips, riding the chicken buses around Central America, doing any number of border crossings down there, I have no idea what you're talking about!!! That never happened to me, and the border crossings were a piece of cake, each and every time, and not time-consuming either!

Old 05-20-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Someone hasn't been following the news in this country, all the bus crashes that have happened on this country, and not on mountain roads either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas