Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2014, 10:55 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,142,038 times

Advertisements

How many even know where this is?

Quote:
This city is trying to clean up its act. From being the home town of one of the world's biggest drug dealers, efforts are underway to bring high-tech businesses.

And it appears to be paying off. Hewlett-Packard have based their entire Latin America services centre there, while Kimberly-Clark and Pipeline Studios – a Canadian animation company – are among the big names to have moved in. In March, Medellin was named “Innovation City of the Year” by Citi, the Wall Street Journal and the Urban Land Institute – beating off competition from fellow finalists New York and Tel Aviv.
Read more @ Inside Medellin: How Pablo Escobar's hometown hopes to become South America's 'Silicon Valley' - Telegraph

There is also a city just north of Mexico City that is doing the same. The question is, will they draw enough nerds to support their efforts? Perhaps American college graduates who cannot find jobs equal to their degrees might look into them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 11:24 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,802,178 times
That is great news. Many positive developments are hapenning in Colombia now. Glad to hear that. The stronger each country gets, the more they will hopefully impact other Latin American countries.

Which city in Mexico is doing this?

Old 05-17-2014, 12:19 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,142,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
That is great news. Many positive developments are hapenning in Colombia now. Glad to hear that. The stronger each country gets, the more they will hopefully impact other Latin American countries.

It's Santiago de Querétaro, Mexico in an area that has always been a rich agricultural center. The way the state government is deal with things, a lot of very advanced companies are moving into the area.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:30 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,974,167 times
I don't really see Medellín becoming a Silicon Valley, but they have made great leaps. I would bet on Colombia over Brasil. It's definitely not a bad place to be right now. If a huge tech boom is going to happen outside of the US, I think it would be somewhere in Asia.

I think people have to stop referencing Pablo Escobar with Medellín.. it's been a very long time now. We get it, but Medellín hasn't been a dangerous wasteland for a LONG time.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:19 PM

850 posts, read 1,028,240 times
I did some business travel in Colombia about 15 years ago. I was working in Silicon Valley at the time! Medellin was surprisingly nice/posh - I must admit I did not know what to expect at the time. I wish I could have visited Cali to compare. In Bogota, the locals told me "the US thinks Medellin is like Beruit - Bogota is like Beruit - old Bogota anyway."

Lots of submachine gun toting security at the airports and luggage was intensely searched.

Glad to see that things are improving.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:00 PM

603 posts, read 1,635,222 times
With time it could develop more and get prosperous, if the economy keeps in line.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:37 PM

6,386 posts, read 11,908,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post

Guadalajara area has been the Silicon Valley of Mexico since the 90s. Queretaro and San Luis Potosi making good strides in last decade as well. Medellin will not catch any of these cities soon.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:34 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,802,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Guadalajara area has been the Silicon Valley of Mexico since the 90s. Queretaro and San Luis Potosi making good strides in last decade as well. Medellin will not catch any of these cities soon.
Yes I do know about Guadalajara being a techie city. I was curious about this other place the poster mentioned. Isn't Monterrey techie as well?

Old 05-20-2014, 02:43 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,270,040 times
Colombia is a sleeping giant, but they need to open up their economy way more. Also class inequality (especially education wise), and woman's equality remain issues that hold that country back IMO.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:49 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,974,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Colombia is a sleeping giant, but they need to open up their economy way more. Also class inequality (especially education wise), and woman's equality remain issues that hold that country back IMO.
Yeah, all the girls I know have a pretty tough time in the workplace.. especially in Medellín. I think it's better in Bogotá.

They are doing better education-wise I think. They're really trying to get the poor students to start studying in the university. I think Medellín is really pushing education.

Class inequality is a pretty big problem everywhere in Latin America, but I think that's true for every developing nation in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas