Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 08:14 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You are technically correct if you speak as an American. However, anyone can always up the ante. There are Northern Europeans that see the USA as a mixing bowl and a country full of Heinz 57 folks. For these folks the USA is no different than Brazil, a non caucasian country.

From a South American perspective I don't know anyone that would call Chile a non-caucasian country. And that tells me you are highly americanized and see South America just as the Americans do despite your claim to have Latin American roots. You have lost your authenticity and are now a full fledge American. There is nothing wrong with being American, but they are the ones that have the same views you do about Latin America.
That's because you guys in South America, in particular, identify as white even if you are 50/50 with white features. You mestizos need to get over your insecurity of being mixed race. You are not white like the españoles, you are not going to be accepted as white like them so just give it up. For someone who is criticizing me for being Americanized, you sure are hung up on what race you are. In my experience, the only Latin Americans who are always preoccupied about race are mestizos, which is the reason why I assume you are one. Well, I also assume you live in North America, but I digress

Old 07-10-2014, 08:14 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,791,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Pounder View Post
Since Argentina will be in the limelight for the next few days and over the weekend, I thought it relevant to share this article I read. It's interesting, that Argentina once had an economy double that of Spain, and was poisoned to become perhaps a second superpower, or at least firm first world nation, in the western hemisphere, but due to a number of reasons that never eventuated.

What do you think?
They have serious problems with corruption. In graduate school I took a course titled 'Economic Development in Latin America.' I remember being surprised that Argentina frequently was rated the most or one of the most corrupt countries.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
They have serious problems with corruption. In graduate school I took a course titled 'Economic Development in Latin America.' I remember being surprised that Argentina frequently was rated the most or one of the most corrupt countries.
Must be all that Italian influence in Argentina Italy is usually rated the most corrupt or in the bottom 5 for political corruption in Europe

Old 07-10-2014, 08:36 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,791,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Must be all that Italian influence in Argentina Italy is usually rated the most corrupt or in the bottom 5 for political corruption in Europe
Actually it does have alot to do with that. There was a huge problem with Italian companies operating in Argentina offering huge bribes for everything under the sun.

They inherited double corruption.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:41 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,337,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That's because you guys in South America, in particular, identify as white even if you are 50/50 with white features. You mestizos need to get over your insecurity of being mixed race. You are not white like the españoles, you are not going to be accepted as white like them so just give it up. For someone who is criticizing me for being Americanized, you sure are hung up on what race you are. In my experience, the only Latin Americans who are always preoccupied about race are mestizos, which is the reason why I assume you are one. Well, I also assume you live in North America, but I digress
Yes, you assume a lot. And that is why you have made a few errors.

First of all there are plenty of South Americans that are more fair skin than Spaniards. A lot of Spaniards are of mixed heritage and you can find chocolate skin in Andalucía.

This is not an issue of anyone being insecure or wanting to be whiter than the next guy. The issue here is the American view on South America and you demonstrate that perfectly.

This thread is certainly not about ethnicity. The theme was economics and YOU immediately injected the "doing OK for a non-caucasian country". That was as American as apple pie bro. It also demonstrates the "Ugly American" syndrome, you may want to look that up. And BTW, not all Americans have these views. Americans that are well traveled and have seen the world get it.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:

First of all there are plenty of South Americans that are more fair skin than Spaniards. A lot of Spaniards are of mixed heritage and you can find chocolate skin in Andalucía.

This is not an issue of anyone being insecure or wanting to be whiter than the next guy. The issue here is the American view on South America and you demonstrate that perfectly.

This thread is certainly not about ethnicity. The theme was economics and YOU immediately injected the "doing OK for a non-caucasian country". That was as American as apple pie bro. It also demonstrates the "Ugly American" syndrome, you may want to look that up. And BTW, not all Americans have these views. Americans that are well traveled and have seen the world get it.
You did not get my post at all, the one you are referring to. You let your insecurity get in the way, and totally did not get the context of what I was saying. That's ok, it was meant for Republocrat, an American, to understand, not for you. That is why I quoted his post and replied to it, I was not talking to you

Old 07-10-2014, 09:05 PM

827 posts, read 865,036 times
Quote:
wiki

Everybody knows Argentina was an economic success at the onset of the 20th century. Why the decline? That is the question.
I know a sptecular article from Mises Brasil website, but unfortunately it's only in portuguese: IMB - Cambalache - a história do colapso econômico da Argentina

According to them, it is because of the big intervencionism of the government in the economy. There are a lot of graphics in this article.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:28 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:

I don't think you're getting his point. What you're arguing seems to be unrelated to what he's actually saying.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:17 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,337,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I don't think you're getting his point. What you're arguing seems to be unrelated to what he's actually saying.
OK, maybe you can explain his point. I am all ears!

Last edited by Julian658; 07-11-2014 at 10:30 AM..

Old 07-11-2014, 10:31 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
OK, maybe you an explain his point. I am all ears!
It was pretty explicit. If what he meant by non-Caucasian country could not be inferred from his original comment, then I don't see how his subsequent posts would fail to clarify. I'm not sure what more explanation can be made there. I think you're going off a strawman that no one's really arguing about, but you really want to belabor.

In regards to the article--eh. There are a lot of holes in the argument, but one of the most important would be per capita wealth, even hypothetical alternative history per capita anything, not necessarily equating to being a superpower. This series of articles in response to that article make a lot more sense. The third part of the series is really great.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-11-2014 at 10:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas