Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2014, 03:49 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times

Advertisements

I have an upcoming job opportunity in Arequipa, Peru and would like anyone's opinion about it that's been there. My current opinion is a very favorable one as it seems beautiful area with a mild sunny climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 04:34 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I have an upcoming job opportunity in Arequipa, Peru and would like anyone's opinion about it that's been there. My current opinion is a very favorable one as it seems beautiful area with a mild sunny climate.
I took a bus to Arequipa once. Only because they wouldn't sell tickets to gringos to go directly from Cuzco to Lima. Too much banditry.

On the plus side, the sold those tickets because Arequipa and the roads leading there were deemed 'safe'.

That's about ALL I know about it!

Old 08-01-2014, 06:09 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I took a bus to Arequipa once. Only because they wouldn't sell tickets to gringos to go directly from Cuzco to Lima. Too much banditry.

On the plus side, the sold those tickets because Arequipa and the roads leading there were deemed 'safe'.

That's about ALL I know about it!
How "safe" was Lima and Cuzco? Should I not bring my wife there? I've heard conflicting information about Peru's safety.

If it works out for me to work there, the first chance I get I'm headed to Cuzco & Machu Pichu. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
How "safe" was Lima and Cuzco? Should I not bring my wife there? I've heard conflicting information about Peru's safety.

If it works out for me to work there, the first chance I get I'm headed to Cuzco & Machu Pichu. Any other suggestions are welcomed.
Both cities have a lot of crime. You DO have to watch yourselves while there.

That being said, I wouldn't say 'don't bring your wife'. As there are also plenty of female tourists, and couples and foreign travelers, who spend time in Cuzco all the time seeing Machu Pichu and all the local sights.

Lima has a little less of the travelers/tourists. But they are there as well.

In short, even while I was there, I met tourists who were victims of crimes. Usually had things stolen from them. Lots of other 'crime-experiencing' stories as well. But, plenty of people just go there, and have absolutely nothing happen to them either.

I think it comes down to the basic principle. Anything can happen at anytime, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it will happen.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:59 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,793,025 times
Tiger Beer, one important aspect to take in account is: WHEN were you there?

How much time ago?

Old 08-01-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Tiger Beer, one important aspect to take in account is: WHEN were you there?

How much time ago?
Good point. Been 15 years ago.

But, I think reading any travelers experiences, they will tell you about crime throughout South America.

Back when I was there, I felt Ecuador was quite a bit safer than Peru. Than a couple years later, I kept hearing of other travelers getting robbed left and right as the cost of living went up in Ecuador.

I think a person pretty much has to be on their guard, in general, in South America. I can't imagine that changing that much.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:39 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
I lived in Peru for a short time, but as with the other poster, it's been some years ago (10+). I lived in Lima in a suburb called Surquillo--definitely considered a "rough part of town." That said, I didn't have any problem. But, that assumed common sense. Don't do things or be in places that are likely to result in bad situations (a crime). Most folks get into trouble in places like that because they are oblivious to the dangers and think they can do whatever they like. Be careful. Don't take chances. You will stand out. You will get noticed. Get to know your neighbors--folks in that area tended to look out for one another. My wife's brothers were great "bodyguards" at times . Not literally, of course, but they did look out for me a bit while I was there. Also, if you blend into the culture (even if you are a gringo like me) by learning the language, respecting the locals, and not having a haughty North American attitude, you have a better chance of living in peace and making true friends.

I don't know how things are now in Peru as far as political matters, but at the time I was there, there was some unrest and there were literally army tanks and armored cars on the streets in some areas of the city. From what I've heard, things are much better now.

It is an intriguing place if you are into Latin America culture and language, and it's hard to beat the beauty of Miraflores on the coast!

Old 08-11-2014, 12:02 PM

274 posts, read 353,774 times
I was in Peru for a few weeks in 1997 during the hostage crisis at the Japanese embassy. Was in Lima, Cusco, and stayed at the govt hotel at Macchu Picchu.

It's anecdotal to say we had no problems, but we didn't and I never felt uneasy. That was a long time ago though and almost 20 years ago holds no relevance for today. That said, we used basic common sense for travel in a poor country.

I loved what I saw of Peru! - and the people were lovely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas