Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 02:44 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,904,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
True,

A Cartagenero/a (Caribbean coast) sounds way different than a Paisa or Pastuso.

Exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 03:15 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
What part of Spain did you live in? What part of Colombia did you go to?

What exactly do you mean by sounding Caribbean?

Colombia's dialects and/or speech patterns vary or differ by region

Every country has differing dialects/speech patterns depending on regions. That is a given.

Could a Colombian sound like a Spaniard? Sure. But in general, when I think of the Colombian people I know(Bogota, Barranquilla, etc...) I do not see a similarity between the two. That is just my personal opinion.

I have both Colombians and Spaniards in my family. I lived in the Castilla y Leon region in Spain and have been to Cartagena.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:50 AM

570 posts, read 491,091 times

Defendiendo el Acento de Puerto Rico - YouTube

There are some accents or forms of talking that are so interesting, like the one in Puerto Rico. Dominacana or even Argentina.
Not because the singular/particular way of using the Spanish language, but how became to be.
I love to hear some basic explanations of other countries like these "boriqua"girls.

Asi hablamos los Boricuas - YouTube

... and how the misunderstandings are so common between different parties.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:14 PM

43,641 posts, read 44,368,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
When I was younger (especially in my teens), I would noticed that my accent (in Spanish) would change naturally to adjust to wherever I was visiting, even more so if I stayed at a particular place for a long period of time.
When I was a child and a teenager my accent in English changed a few times since I moved from the USA to England and then to a couple of countries where English wasn't the local language. During my 2 year stay in England an American friend of mine came to visit me after I had been there for approx. a year. She mentioned that I didn't speak like an American any more (as I had a real British accent then) and asked me if I could switch back to speaking like an American. Afterwards, my accent changed again when we moved to a non-English speaking country.

As an adult, I spent 6 months in Australia but there everyone knew I was American by my accent. But when I moved back to the USA as an adult, I lived in Northern California and there everyone said I had an East Coast accent but couldn't tell where exactly. One person said I had sounded like I came from the Bronx (part of NYC) and I have never in my life lived in the Bronx and at that time I had never even lived in the NYC area. But my father grew up in the Bronx so I must have picked up some of his speech inflections. Some years ago, I visited London for 10 days (after not being in England for over 20 years) and when I came back somebody that I interacted with said that I sounded British in my accent and word/expression usage. Although that passed within a short time period, I think that if I had stayed longer in England, perhaps my former British accent would have returned!

Old 10-13-2014, 05:38 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
When I was a child and a teenager my accent in English changed a few times since I moved from the USA to England and then to a couple of countries where English wasn't the local language. During my 2 year stay in England an American friend of mine came to visit me after I had been there for approx. a year. She mentioned that I didn't speak like an American any more (as I had a real British accent then) and asked me if I could switch back to speaking like an American. Afterwards, my accent changed again when we moved to a non-English speaking country.

As an adult, I spent 6 months in Australia but there everyone knew I was American by my accent. But when I moved back to the USA as an adult, I lived in Northern California and there everyone said I had an East Coast accent but couldn't tell where exactly. One person said I had sounded like I came from the Bronx (part of NYC) and I have never in my life lived in the Bronx and at that time I had never even lived in the NYC area. But my father grew up in the Bronx so I must have picked up some of his speech inflections. Some years ago, I visited London for 10 days (after not being in England for over 20 years) and when I came back somebody that I interacted with said that I sounded British in my accent and word/expression usage. Although that passed within a short time period, I think that if I had stayed longer in England, perhaps my former British accent would have returned!
Your experience definitely parallels mine, but in English instead of Spanish. Do you still feel your accent feels out of place where you live?

I had a woman in one of my French classes that spoke English with what I called a 'European' accent (no one could really place it), though she is California born and raised. She told me she grew up in a multilingual household (her parents and grandparents all spoke multiple languages), so she thinks that has something to do with it. She was also really good at picking up accents/languages in general. I was actually a bit jealous...her Parisian accent was superb, while my French sounds more southern (Mediterranean/Provence). At least I don't have an American accent in my French, but still..lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas