Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 11:16 PM

491 posts, read 753,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Did you go to Brazil as well?

The transport systems are just fine. Very efficient buses, trains, subways, etc. That was also in 1997, and I'd imagine it hasn't declined since then at all.
honestly, there are rankings which puts chile and argentina in a whole different category than brazil. Please respect HDI and such. Brasil is nowhere near the development level of the southern cone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I grew up in New Orleans and now outside of Seattle. I love New Orleans to visit and party but not to live...to live, Seattle is a better place imo. I probably feel the same about Brazil versus Chile...maybe Brazil is more fun but with a murder rate that is 8 times higher than Chile and transport systems that don't function as well, Chile is a better place for living imo. You visited there 17 years ago and my visit was 2 weeks ago. The Metro in Santiago is highly functional, the bus systems are excellent, metered taxis where there's no gringo tax, safe areas such as Las Condes. Not saying your opinion is not valid, just saying I have a different opinion.
I stayed in las condes, close to the titanium tower. But I walked from there a few hours to the city center, usually where that funny overhead passage is, and all looked like fine, safe areas. I dare to say I wouldn't walk like that in Rio... I did btw the same long walks to the palermo area from centro/recoleta, in BA...

Old 02-16-2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
You did say:

This is what I was referring to. There are alot of people interested in living in Brazil. There are alot of people who have moved to or are moving to Brazil. At least here in the U.S., Brazil is a hot spot.

Also, the topic of discussion is choosing a country to live in in Latin America, which is why I referred to preferences.
oh did you read the word "MOST" in the sentence. Most people (NOT ALL) would prefer to live in a country like Chile over Brazil. There are still fundamentals not properly in place, like rule of law, sanitation, water, etc in the big brazilian cities.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:36 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
honestly, there are rankings which puts chile and argentina in a whole different category than brazil. Please respect HDI and such. Brasil is nowhere near the development level of the southern cone.
Okay, we get the fact you've never been to Southern Brazil, and you associate all of Brazil with Northeastern Brazil.

It's fine you like Chile. It's just ridiculous that you are completely unaware of southern Brazil though. But, yeah, if you are going to compare HDI for an entire nation and take that as your bible, than that makes sense how you'd be completely unaware of southern Brazil and what is there. It would get lost in those statistics.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:04 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,143,696 times
Quote:
I stayed in las condes, close to the titanium tower. But I walked from there a few hours to the city center, usually where that funny overhead passage is, and all looked like fine, safe areas. I dare to say I wouldn't walk like that in Rio... I did btw the same long walks to the palermo area from centro/recoleta, in BA...
I've heard varying accounts of BA, even from Argentinians. Basically that Palermo/recoleta is as safe as Las Condes/Vitacura...others Argentinians I work with say no.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:06 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,194 times
Quote:
oh did you read the word "MOST" in the sentence. Most people (NOT ALL) would prefer to live in a country like Chile over Brazil. There are still fundamentals not properly in place, like rule of law, sanitation, water, etc in the big brazilian cities.
You speak for yourself, and only for yourself. 'Most' is an exaggerated opinion.

Reading your comments, I realize I am speaking to someone who is not very familiar with Brazil as a whole. I don't understand why there are so many people on CD making strong assertions about countries they have minimal experience with.

We can leave it at that.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:09 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,194 times
Quote:
Okay, we get the fact you've never been to Southern Brazil, and you associate all of Brazil with Northeastern Brazil.

It's fine you like Chile. It's just ridiculous that you are completely unaware of southern Brazil though. But, yeah, if you are going to compare HDI for an entire nation and take that as your bible, than that makes sense how you'd be completely unaware of southern Brazil and what is there. It would get lost in those statistics.
Because many people on CD like to get their 'facts' from statistics and news articles, instead of from real life experiences.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:

so are you going to take the BEST AREA in brasil and compare it to a whole country? That does not seem fair.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
You speak for yourself, and only for yourself. 'Most' is an exaggerated opinion.

Reading your comments, I realize I am speaking to someone who is not very familiar with Brazil as a whole. I don't understand why there are so many people on CD making strong assertions about countries they have minimal experience with.

We can leave it at that.
So are you saying MOST would move to an (in every single ranking, be infrastructure or crime, or HDI etc) inferior country like brazil instead of a more developed country like Chile or Argentina? Mmm does not sound right at all.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Because many people on CD like to get their 'facts' from statistics and news articles, instead of from real life experiences.
Look, the southern cone countries have DECADES of progress ahead of Brazil, come on, drop the chauvinism. This is just silly... there are 40 countries between Chile and Brazil in development ranking... christ. Compare Brazil with Peru but not Chile or Argentina please.

source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...elopment_Index

ah please read OP's opening question.

Last edited by MrPilot; 02-17-2015 at 04:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas