Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 10:13 PM

620 posts, read 1,074,322 times

Advertisements

I currently live in NYC but have fell in love with idea of living in either Colombia or Dominican Republic.
What are the pro's & cons of moving to either of there countries ??

I am fluent in English & Spanish and have experience in the hotel/ restaurant fields. I understand no country will pay like NYC but that's OK. Both of my parents are Colombian born ( although now US citizens).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 10:17 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,103,400 times
There are folks here who know far more than me but I would think that you will get better advice if you specify a region in Colombia as it seems to be one of those countries that is vastly different depending on region. In addition you have family connections to Colombia which can be good and bad depending on the type of connection.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:44 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,841,831 times
which part of Colombia because DR is tiny in comparison!!!

generally I'd pick Colombia but not every where in Colombia, for some parts I'd pick over DR though

Old 02-20-2015, 10:15 AM

10,647 posts, read 16,047,237 times
For working in the tourism industry i think DR would be better.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:15 PM

18,134 posts, read 25,314,766 times
Colombia = kidnapping

Old 02-20-2015, 01:14 PM

10,128 posts, read 15,005,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Colombia = kidnapping
The Colombia of today is not the same one from a decade ago. Right now Colombia has more of an image problem because many people are not aware how much progress the country has seen in recent years regarding the paramilitary war, crime, and other negatives. There are still areas of Colombia that are still as bad as they were a decade or two ago, but the key word is areas.

Its hard to recommend either of the two countries to the OP because he doesn't clarify what exactly he wants to get out of living outside the USA. Both countries have markedly different regions. Colombia's regional differences are much more known because Colombia is a middle size country and its easier to accept that in a country of that size there are going to be differences; but DR is probably the small country of Latin America with the greatest regional differences. The overall feeling you get in Samana is very different from the Cibao Valley, and the Cibao gives off a different vibe compared to the eastern region; to name a few regional differences. Even the way the average person looks, speaks, etc varies from region to region. Even the climate is different and this difference is very localized. Often times the distance between a dry area with cactus and very low humidity from a muggy and rainy tropical area that is extremely green is traversed in minutes. You can actually feel as the air changes if you drive with your windows low in addition to the stark differences in vegetation that takes place with transition zones that are so thin that it seems thereis no transition. Often times people simply notice that pne minute they were in a very green rural area full of palms and giant trees and the next minute they are either surrounded by pine forests and the air is considerably cooler or they are in a dusty area full of cactuses. Very few places on earth have so much differences in such a small place. That island is like a mini continent.

As for finding jobs that pay at or above the US level, the only way to acheive this is by either getting hired abroad by a multinational corporation (can be an international hotel chain) and them ask to be transferred to their Dominican offices/locations or to move to DR with a doctorate or higher degree (unemployment for people with doctorate ans higher degrees is 0% and in many fields the shortage is so great that the predominant pay even exeeds the US or European levels), or to go there with savy business knowledge and develop a successful business. There are many undeveloped niches with very high pay/profit potential due to very little competition.

Last edited by AntonioR; 02-20-2015 at 01:29 PM..

Old 02-20-2015, 06:30 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,225,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The Colombia of today is not the same one from a decade ago. Right now Colombia has more of an image problem because many people are not aware how much progress the country has seen in recent years regarding the paramilitary war, crime, and other negatives. There are still areas of Colombia that are still as bad as they were a decade or two ago, but the key word is areas.

Its hard to recommend either of the two countries to the OP because he doesn't clarify what exactly he wants to get out of living outside the USA. Both countries have markedly different regions. Colombia's regional differences are much more known because Colombia is a middle size country and its easier to accept that in a country of that size there are going to be differences; but DR is probably the small country of Latin America with the greatest regional differences. The overall feeling you get in Samana is very different from the Cibao Valley, and the Cibao gives off a different vibe compared to the eastern region; to name a few regional differences. Even the way the average person looks, speaks, etc varies from region to region. Even the climate is different and this difference is very localized. Often times the distance between a dry area with cactus and very low humidity from a muggy and rainy tropical area that is extremely green is traversed in minutes. You can actually feel as the air changes if you drive with your windows low in addition to the stark differences in vegetation that takes place with transition zones that are so thin that it seems thereis no transition. Often times people simply notice that pne minute they were in a very green rural area full of palms and giant trees and the next minute they are either surrounded by pine forests and the air is considerably cooler or they are in a dusty area full of cactuses. Very few places on earth have so much differences in such a small place. That island is like a mini continent.

As for finding jobs that pay at or above the US level, the only way to acheive this is by either getting hired abroad by a multinational corporation (can be an international hotel chain) and them ask to be transferred to their Dominican offices/locations or to move to DR with a doctorate or higher degree (unemployment for people with doctorate ans higher degrees is 0% and in many fields the shortage is so great that the predominant pay even exeeds the US or European levels), or to go there with savy business knowledge and develop a successful business. There are many undeveloped niches with very high pay/profit potential due to very little competition.
Good general information. Informative.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:41 PM

52 posts, read 91,479 times
Santa Marta, Colombia

Old 02-21-2015, 12:11 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,771,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Colombia = kidnapping

Total nonsense. I've been to Colombia a few times...never had any issues.

The Colombia of 2015 is very different (and safer) than that of 1990/1995.

OP: I'd pick Colombia. It is a big country with a diverse landscape and several interesting large cities (Bogota, Medellin, Cartagena, Cali, etc.).

Old 02-21-2015, 11:07 PM

620 posts, read 1,074,322 times
My family by origin is from Barranquilla ( Currramba La bella !!!) but I am open to anywhere. I usually flow more towards carribean type people as they seem/ are more warm and friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas