Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which countries are Latino?
Spanish speaking countries 5 6.25%
Spanish speaking countries in the Americas 18 22.50%
Spanish speaking countries and Brazil in the Americas 22 27.50%
Mexico and everything South 6 7.50%
All Latin-based countries (includes Haiti and French Guiana) 28 35.00%
Everything except the West Indies (explain what that means) 1 1.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 10:27 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chottandrah View Post
Being Latin American to Latin Americans has the relevance of being North American to people in the US. People don't fundamentally identify with it but they know the term.

surprisingly to me, Argentines feel more Latin American than Colombians, Colombians were quite insular to my surprise, knowing next to nothing about their neighboring countries. I found the average Colombian knew more about Miami than about neighboring Ecuador!
I think things vary considerably among whom you meet. In Bogota I met people from Venezuela,and many of the Colombians I met had been to Ecuador or neighboring countries.

The diet in Colombia is very similar to neighboring countries, they all like football, and the culture of Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, and Peru is pretty similar. And there are similarities to Brazil.

As for North America goes, we all know the US is similar to Canada in terms of language, culture, and politics. Not the same, but certainly similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 09:19 AM

881 posts, read 921,784 times
Venezuelans like baseball more.

These 4 countries have very varied "cultures".

Old 02-07-2017, 09:53 AM

42 posts, read 50,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I think things vary considerably among whom you meet. In Bogota I met people from Venezuela,and many of the Colombians I met had been to Ecuador or neighboring countries.

The diet in Colombia is very similar to neighboring countries, they all like football, and the culture of Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, and Peru is pretty similar. And there are similarities to Brazil.

As for North America goes, we all know the US is similar to Canada in terms of language, culture, and politics. Not the same, but certainly similar.
the average Colombian is regionalistic

Being Costeño, Paisa, Rolo, Valluno, Llanero, Pastuso, Santandereano, Isleño, Chocoano, Tolimense etc. Has FAR more weight than being even Colombian.

The average Colombian thinks or focuses little on neighboring countries despite any plausible similarities, there is a lot of difference between regions of Colombia. And many Colombians know little to nothing about other Colombians in other regions (it's always been a very fragmented country sort of like Spain)

So a caribbean costeño will feel little to no kinship with an Ecuadorian. A Valluno will have no connection with Venezuelans, or a Llanero will feel Panama to be distant and unknown.

It's ironic, but colombians feel colombian when the soccer team is playing, or when they're abroad.... Other than that.... they're paisas, costenos etc.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:

Being Costeño, Paisa, Rolo, Valluno, Llanero, Pastuso, Santandereano, Isleño, Chocoano, Tolimense etc. Has FAR more weight than being even Colombian.

The average Colombian thinks or focuses little on neighboring countries despite any plausible similarities, there is a lot of difference between regions of Colombia. And many Colombians know little to nothing about other Colombians in other regions (it's always been a very fragmented country sort of like Spain)

So a caribbean costeño will feel little to no kinship with an Ecuadorian. A Valluno will have no connection with Venezuelans, or a Llanero will feel Panama to be distant and unknown.

It's ironic, but colombians feel colombian when the soccer team is playing, or when they're abroad.... Other than that.... they're paisas, costenos etc.
nah, you would have to live under a rock not to know anything about other regions of the country. Even if some people don't travel much, we learn about it every day in the tv, newspapers, etc. Also, in most cities, easily 30-50% of people was born elsewhere. There's plenty of Costeños or Paisas in Bogota, and viceversa.

About Ecuador, I think anyone knows the basic, that is an Andean country with strong Indigenous heritage, Guayaquil and the coast; the jungle, Correa, etc.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:36 AM

42 posts, read 50,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
nah, you would have to live under a rock not to know anything about other regions of the country. Even if some people don't travel much, we learn about it every day in the tv, newspapers, etc. Also, in most cities, easily 30-50% of people was born elsewhere. There's plenty of Costeños or Paisas in Bogota, and viceversa.

About Ecuador, I think anyone knows the basic, that is an Andean country with strong Indigenous heritage, Guayaquil and the coast; the jungle, Correa, etc.
sorry but I know plenty of colombians who know nothing of other places in colombia

paisas who couldnt tell u a thing about the llanos, or costenos who have never even been to the interior of the country

regarding what u state colombians know about ecuaqdor... it's just generalities born out of stereotypes.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:

What is the average Colombian?

You're giving what's called anecdotal evidence. This evidence is cherry picked, and often has no facts behind it. Do you have internal or international travel statistics to back up your claims? Can you reference numerous studies to back up your claims? Can you point me in the direction of polls to back up your claims?

I really rather doubt this. It comes across you as stereotyping an entire group of people solely based on your personal issues.

I do know people do move around Colombia and go to other regions and other countries in South America. I can't tell you what percentage. Then again why would I care what percentage of Colombians do that? The above post seems so petty and trivial.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:36 AM

I'm pretty sure the average Paisa, when asked about the Llanos, will mention cattle ranching, Joropo, some geographic features like Macarena mountain or Mavicure... things like that that everyone knows. Unless it's some old illiterate farmer from some remote Paisa region, but that kind of people is a minority.

Many Costeños could have never been to the interior of the country, but it doesn't mean they don't know anything about it. As I said, most people has tvs, know how to read and have been to school at least for a few years, have family in other regions, meet tourists (and there are plenty of tourists from the interior of Colombia in the Coasts), etc.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
I'm pretty sure the average Paisa, when asked about the Llanos, will mention cattle ranching, Joropo, some geographic features like Macarena mountain or Mavicure... things like that that everyone knows. Unless it's some old illiterate farmer from some remote Paisa region, but that kind of people is a minority.

Many Costeños could have never been to the interior of the country, but it doesn't mean they don't know anything about it. As I said, most people has tvs, know how to read and have been to school at least for a few years, have family in other regions, meet tourists (and there are plenty of tourists from the interior of Colombia in the Coasts), etc.
The TV in Colombia definitely showed regions all over the nation, and news from other countries. People discussed the situation from Venezuela (Maduro) and there were Venezuelan refugees in Colombia (I met Venezuelan refugees in the Dominican Republic). They are desperate to leave.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:15 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,150,213 times
latino are peoples from all countries south of the USA, hispanic are the spanish speaking countries of that bunch.

so Aruba, jamaica, barbados, trinidad,Haiti, guyana, all latinos, not hispanics, but spanish is spoken in some form, and roads and towns will have some spanish names.

And the countries like Panama, colombia, cuba, DR, spanish speaking, hispanics and latinos. PR is both and USA.

But it is broken down by its peoples, west indies, carribean, dutch antilles, creole, etc

Old 02-11-2017, 12:38 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
latino are peoples from all countries south of the USA, hispanic are the spanish speaking countries of that bunch.

so Aruba, jamaica, barbados, trinidad,Haiti, guyana, all latinos, not hispanics, but spanish is spoken in some form, and roads and towns will have some spanish names.

And the countries like Panama, colombia, cuba, DR, spanish speaking, hispanics and latinos. PR is both and USA.

But it is broken down by its peoples, west indies, carribean, dutch antilles, creole, etc
No. The Dutch in Guyana and the Antilles, and the Brits and their descendants in Belize, the Falkland Islands, and Guyana, are not Latinos. Jamaicans and Trinidadians aren't Latinos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas