Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which countries are Latino?
Spanish speaking countries 5 6.25%
Spanish speaking countries in the Americas 18 22.50%
Spanish speaking countries and Brazil in the Americas 22 27.50%
Mexico and everything South 6 7.50%
All Latin-based countries (includes Haiti and French Guiana) 28 35.00%
Everything except the West Indies (explain what that means) 1 1.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 05:41 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
So...we have learned the term Latino as known by 'Muricans makes no sense.

The fact remains that people are much more than the language which they speak.

Why is an Akan person from Ivory Coast a Latin, and the one from Ghana not, when both speak some variety of Akan as their first language?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 07:14 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,169,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
True for you, an educated and informed woman.

Go to the streets in Florida with large West Indian populations, and ask them whether they identify Puerto Ricans as "Caribbean", or merely "Spanish". I know that in the VI and other Eastern Caribbean islands where Dominicanos have gone to live they are considered "Spanish", nothing more need be added. And "Spanish" almost as an epithet.

And even for those who do know geography, there is an implicit understanding that there is a bond which Anglophone Caribbean people to each other. and that we share something with the Francophones. There is an issue though with "dem Spanish people". Now this might not be true for Trinidad, with its long ties to Venezuela, but it is definitely true for Guyana, even as we are embedded between Venezuela (the northwest border), and Brazil (the south west and southern borders).
Well guess it's how one takes it. They just call them Spanish due to the language. But bet if you asked those West Indians living there if they were Caribbean people, they would say yes...and then look at you like why ask the obvious. I've lived in the VI...and it's not like people don't consider them Caribbean people...Spanish ones.

All Caribbean people bond based on language but that doesn't mean that they don't acknowledge that there are other Caribbean people who speak other languages. People say "dem whoever" when they are ready. Dem Spanish, dem Indian, dem Frenchie....

Old 07-15-2015, 12:16 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,433,040 times
This article in Wikipedia explains what I was trying to say:

The Latin culture in the first sense, is the culture of Latinos, founding people of Rome. By extension of meaning, Latin culture also means the culture of ancient Rome and the Roman Empire.

Currently, the countries of Latin culture focused people considered Latinos, groups whose working language and part of their cultural and ethnic heritage is derived from Ancient Rome. In this sense, they can be cited as reference the Latin culture of Spanish-speaking people, Italian speakers, Lusophone (Portuguese-speaking), Francophone (French-speaking).

List of countries / States of Latin culture:

Below presents a non-exhaustive list of Latin culture of countries, which can be differentiated into "first generation" (ancient Rome, now extinct), the "second generation" (Latin Europe, direct products of the Roman colonization) and countries of the "third generation", Latinized by the second generation, located mainly in America.

It is also important to mention that there are also countries whose culture is not mainly Latin. These are countries that have been colonized by a Latin power, whose influence is, however, superficial, often limited to the official language. Often these non-Romance language countries can dominate a Latin language orally and have a relevant influence of Latin culture (African cultures, Native American or Asian). This occurs particularly in Francophone and Lusophone African countries, the Philippines and also in Haiti or Bolivia).

And finally, there is also the category of most non-Latin countries that have significant Latino minorities, such as Switzerland, Belgium or Canada.

Second-generation countries

Andorra
Spain
France
Italy
Monaco
Moldavia
Portugal
Romania
San Marino
Vatican

Third-generation countries

Brazil
Colombia
Argentina
Chile
Costa Rica
Cuba
Dominican Republic
Ecuador
Mexico
Peru
Quebec
Uruguay
Venezuela
Paraguay
Bolivia

Speaking Latin countries but hardly
classified as "Latin"

Haiti
Senegal
Philippines
Cameroon
Ivory Coast
Congo
Mozambique
Angola
Mali
Togo

Mostly non-Latin countries with relevant Romanesque-speaking minorities

Belgium
Canada
USA
Luxembourg
Switzerland

All these countries have a Romance language with official status, except for the United States.

Last edited by Mr.Falcon; 07-15-2015 at 12:34 AM..

Old 07-15-2015, 09:06 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
The Latin culture in the first sense, is the culture of Latinos, founding people of Rome. By extension of meaning, Latin culture also means the culture of ancient Rome and the Roman Empire.

Currently, the countries of Latin culture focused people considered Latinos, groups whose working language and part of their cultural and ethnic heritage is derived from Ancient Rome. In this sense, they can be cited as reference the Latin culture of Spanish-speaking people, Italian speakers, Lusophone (Portuguese-speaking), Francophone (French-speaking).
Congressional Hispanic Caucus (CHC) comprises 26 Democratic members of the United States Congress of Hispanic descent. The Caucus is dedicated to voicing and advancing, through the legislative process, issues affecting Hispanics and Latinos in the United States and Puerto Rico. The CHC was founded in December 1976.

The Congressional Hispanic Conference (CHC) is a Republican Party-controlled caucus in the United States Congress. The CHC was formed in 2003, as the Republicans felt that the older caucus was not working as a bipartisan confere. It is dedicated to Americans of Hispanic or Latino and Portuguese descent. There are 13 members of Hispanic descent, and 4 associate members who are not Hispanic, but represent districs with a large percentage of Hispanics.

Devin Gerald Nunes, (born October 1, 1973) is the U.S. Representative for California's 22nd congressional district, serving since 2003. Although he is 4th genertion American and his distant relatives emigrated from the Portuguese Azores, he qualified to be a full member of the Republican CHC.

I think the decisions on membership in the CHC reflect the vagaries of the terms Latino and Hispanic.

Portuguese Americans number fewer than 1.5 million, and French Americans number fewer than 12 million. The majority of these people do not speak Portuguese or French. Italian Americans number between 17 and 18 million people, but the language is spoken primarily by older citizens. Romanian Americans number roughly 1/2 million, and are only slightly outnumbered by people who trace their ancestry primarily to Spain and not also to Spanish speaking countries or territories in the Americas.

Congressmen Devin Gerald Nunes, is considered by some people as improperly using the term Latino in order to advance his career. My grandfather emigrated from outside of Madrid 95 years ago, and I have no ancestry from the Americas south of the USA. I would feel odd describing myself as Latino.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:44 AM

18,127 posts, read 25,272,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
So what makes one a Latino? Can't be that they speak a Latin-based language as many French speakers are excluded and it can't be that their country is in a continent grouped with Latin-America. I am confused by this for about, say 10 years.

LOL @ how Aruba can't even pass the Latino test despite its Spanish influences.
In the US being Latino has many meanings, mainly, being descendant of Spanish speakers.

In Latinamerica, being Latino means "Spanish speaker" no matter where the person is from.
I knew many people that were 2nd and even 1st generation German, Italian, Portuguese, Hungarian that spoke Spanish good to perfect, to me, they are latinos.

Why isn't Aruba latino?
Aruba's official languages are Dutch and Papiamento.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:27 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Congressional Hispanic Caucus (CHC) comprises 26 Democratic members of the United States Congress of Hispanic descent. The Caucus is dedicated to voicing and advancing, through the legislative process, issues affecting Hispanics and Latinos in the United States and Puerto Rico. The CHC was founded in December 1976.

The Congressional Hispanic Conference (CHC) is a Republican Party-controlled caucus in the United States Congress. The CHC was formed in 2003, as the Republicans felt that the older caucus was not working as a bipartisan confere. It is dedicated to Americans of Hispanic or Latino and Portuguese descent. There are 13 members of Hispanic descent, and 4 associate members who are not Hispanic, but represent districs with a large percentage of Hispanics.

Devin Gerald Nunes, (born October 1, 1973) is the U.S. Representative for California's 22nd congressional district, serving since 2003. Although he is 4th genertion American and his distant relatives emigrated from the Portuguese Azores, he qualified to be a full member of the Republican CHC.

I think the decisions on membership in the CHC reflect the vagaries of the terms Latino and Hispanic.

Portuguese Americans number fewer than 1.5 million, and French Americans number fewer than 12 million. The majority of these people do not speak Portuguese or French. Italian Americans number between 17 and 18 million people, but the language is spoken primarily by older citizens. Romanian Americans number roughly 1/2 million, and are only slightly outnumbered by people who trace their ancestry primarily to Spain and not also to Spanish speaking countries or territories in the Americas.

Congressmen Devin Gerald Nunes, is considered by some people as improperly using the term Latino in order to advance his career. My grandfather emigrated from outside of Madrid 95 years ago, and I have no ancestry from the Americas south of the USA. I would feel odd describing myself as Latino.
I agree another representative a few years back named Jim Costa of Azorean Portuguese ancestry had interest in joining for political reasons his district is largely Latino which kicked off the feds looking into possible including the Portuguese as Hispanics it was met with huge resistance in the Portuguese community over 90% opposed it.

These are our three politicians of Azorean-Portuguese ancestry.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devin_Nunes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Valadao
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Costa

Old 01-19-2017, 09:28 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,827,266 times
Latino is an american thing

Old 01-19-2017, 10:28 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,721,454 times
At this point in history I am not sure what the point of re-evaluting this is?
My family is from the English Speaking Caribbean. My heritage is pretty similar to most "Latinos" I have met. So what? We have no interested in wanting to be considered "Latinos". To me the idea of even trying to group in to that suggests that being "Latino" is better then being what we are. We are happy and proud of who we are and we don't need to be or want to be lumped in to a group that already encompasses far too many places. The English Speaking Islands in the Caribbean have enough personality and cultural identity to stand alone and be self identifed as it is. We don't need to be water down in to a pool of genertic terms such as "Latinos". So thanks for the invite to the genertic label... but no thanks.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:09 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,721,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
So thanks for the invite to the genertic label... but no thanks.
Whose inviting you?

Old 01-20-2017, 01:08 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,721,454 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Whose inviting you?
Why even look for an invitation to something I don't need to be grouped in to? Being called Latino or not really won't have any significant pros or cons... so who cares?

Unless there is a perk ... who needs it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas