Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which countries are Latino?
Spanish speaking countries 5 6.25%
Spanish speaking countries in the Americas 18 22.50%
Spanish speaking countries and Brazil in the Americas 22 27.50%
Mexico and everything South 6 7.50%
All Latin-based countries (includes Haiti and French Guiana) 28 35.00%
Everything except the West Indies (explain what that means) 1 1.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 09:58 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The only part of the Caribbean I have any interest in is the Spanish Caribbean, and in addition to having been there, Latin American studies is a part of my undergraduate degree. I originally posted about Latin America and yes there's plenty of evidence of a common identity among them. It's something g that you and. CaribNy and yourself can't stand it because of your own issues, but you won't find any Dominican, Cuban, or Puerto Rican claiming solidarity with the non Spanish islands. In fact many identify as mixed race and which entails being partially of actual Spanish descent.
So basically you have no proof of what you claim with regard to the English-speaking Caribbean and it shows. That's good that you have been to the Spanish Caribbean and are doing partial studies on the region, but not exactly sure what your point is for mentioning that. Congrats to you, but be aware, that is far less exposure than many of us have in this thread.

Point out where in my posts there is any discussion about the common identity among Spanish Caribbean people. That is your discussion with caribny of which I am not a part. Not sure where you are getting this cant stand claim. The same goes for the solidarity issue. Dont try to place an opinion on me that was never given because you are failing to prove your points.

It's common knowledge that many identify as mixed-race because that is what they are. As a mixed person, I am in support of claiming all of their heritages.

Once again, maybe it is your random experiences in the States that causes such a strange obsession with the West Indies/English-speaking Caribbean. So much so that you seem to have chip on your shoulder with regard to the English-speaking Caribbean and its identity. Please keep those mentalities there and gain real exposure to the nations about which you would like to converse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 10:08 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Same reason a white person is called "American" and a black person is called "African-American"

Stupid things made up by US media.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:26 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
So basically you have no proof of what you claim with regard to the English-speaking Caribbean and it shows. That's good that you have been to the Spanish Caribbean and are doing partial studies on the region, but not exactly sure what your point is for mentioning that. Congrats to you, but be aware, that is far less exposure than many of us have in this thread.

Point out where in my posts there is any discussion about the common identity among Spanish Caribbean people. That is your discussion with caribny of which I am not a part. Not sure where you are getting this cant stand claim. The same goes for the solidarity issue. Dont try to place an opinion on me that was never given because you are failing to prove your points.

It's common knowledge that many identify as mixed-race because that is what they are. As a mixed person, I am in support of claiming all of their heritages.

Once again, maybe it is your random experiences in the States that causes such a strange obsession with the West Indies/English-speaking Caribbean. So much so that you seem to have chip on your shoulder with regard to the English-speaking Caribbean and its identity. Please keep those mentalities there and gain real exposure to the nations about which you would like to converse.
DUDE.

Apparently literacy is not your strong point.

I actually spoke about Latin America and how people in the Spanish Caribbean are much closer to other Latinos than they are too non Spanish Caribbean people.

Not only is that true, it's also not showing any concern about the English Caribbean whatsoever. The statement is about the Spanish Caribbean. That's my entire conversation on this thread. I have no interest or concern about the English speaking Caribbean, I do not care to converse about them, and they are amon the LAST places in the world I will be visiting, being that I have no interest in them and it has nothing to do with anyone I met in the United States. So don't project.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
DUDE.

I actually spoke about Latin America and how people in the Spanish Caribbean are much closer to other Latinos than they are too non Spanish Caribbean people.

Not only is that true, it's also not showing any concern about the English Caribbean whatsoever. The statement is about the Spanish Caribbean. That's my entire conversation on this thread. I have no interest or concern about the English speaking Caribbean, I do not care to converse about them, and they are amon the LAST places in the world I will be visiting, being that I have no interest in them and it has nothing to do with anyone I met in the United States. So don't project.
Firstly, I am a woman. Obviously you're an overly excited college student going through a know-it-all stage. Hopefully you will grow up. It would behoove you not to get into literacy, education or exposure comparisons with random people.

It is common sense that the Spanish Caribbean would be closer to the Spanish-speaking nations. Who is arguing otherwise? No one.

If you have no interest in the English-speaking Caribbean/West Indies, then refrain from making false statements about it and its people.

You have never lived in the English-speaking Caribbean nor want to visit any of the islands. You are uneducated about the nations but yet you claim to know how West Indians perceive Latinos, their identities etc. There are many islands with varying cultures, heritages, influences, perceptions, priorities etc., making your comments nonsensical.

Now you're claiming your statements have nothing to do with your interactions in the U.S., specifically, NYC, but you have not visited nor want to visit those islands.

So then you are admitting that your statements are unfounded. You choose to make assumptions about people you know little to nothing about and supposedly have no interest in.

That is a strange obsession that reeks of ignorance and lack of education, formal or otherwise.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 02-18-2017 at 06:41 AM..

Old 02-18-2017, 09:07 AM

127 posts, read 123,548 times
Quote:
DUDE.

Not true.... I have been to South America and people don't even know much about Caribbean latinos.

Dominicans in Argentina for example most likely will go through culture shock, while Dominicans in Jamaica most likely will find similarities (other than language)

Puerto Ricans are virtually unknown!!! Considering PR is a tiny island with just 3 million people and virtually no presence in South America, it's only expected South Americans won't know much about them.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:35 AM

881 posts, read 921,376 times
"Caribbean Latino" music is very popular and widespread.

Old 02-18-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
The vast majority of the posters in this thread have stated that English speaking islands are not Latino. Where do you get that English speaking islanders care that Latinos don't identify with them? What thread are you reading? English speaking islanders do not like being lumped in with Latin America because we feel it diminishes our individuality as nations and as a unique culture. Your assertions run completely counter to reality.

Are you talking about about the way Blackness is defined in different parts of the Americas and how some Latinos are accused of denying their Blackness? That is a totally different and extremely complex discussion. CaribNY posed an interesting question about the DR as compared to Bolivia and TnT. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it as there is a thing called Caribbean culture which both DR and TnT possess.
Exactly. Well said.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
The vast majority of the posters in this thread have stated that English speaking islands are not Latino. Where do you get that English speaking islanders care that Latinos don't identify with them? What thread are you reading? English speaking islanders do not like being lumped in with Latin America because we feel it diminishes our individuality as nations and as a unique culture. Your assertions run completely counter to reality.

Are you talking about about the way Blackness is defined in different parts of the Americas and how some Latinos are accused of denying their Blackness? That is a totally different and extremely complex discussion. CaribNY posed an interesting question about the DR as compared to Bolivia and TnT. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it as there is a thing called Caribbean culture which both DR and TnT possess.
The second paragraph is what I am talking about. Being that the Dominican Republic chose to join an union with Central America, that's certainly an indication that they identity with other Spanish speaking nations much more than they do the non Spanish Caribbean. It's just a fact,

Old 02-18-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marble-ky View Post
Not true.... I have been to South America and people don't even know much about Caribbean latinos.

Dominicans in Argentina for example most likely will go through culture shock, while Dominicans in Jamaica most likely will find similarities (other than language)

Puerto Ricans are virtually unknown!!! Considering PR is a tiny island with just 3 million people and virtually no presence in South America, it's only expected South Americans won't know much about them.
Dominicans likely will not go through culture shock in Venezuela, Colombia, or Northern South America. Or even Portuguese speaking Brazil. Or for that matter Central America.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:00 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,099,989 times
Quote:
The second paragraph is what I am talking about. Being that the Dominican Republic chose to join an union with Central America, that's certainly an indication that they identity with other Spanish speaking nations much more than they do the non Spanish Caribbean. It's just a fact,
The DR does identify with other Latinos more than it does the English speaking Caribbean. Thats not really debatable. Some of it is cultural, some of it is good business. I don't know who in this thread is really debating that. The question (you were referencing my post) is which one is more similar though between Bolivia and TnT in relation to the DR. There is a specific reason CaribNY chose Bolivia. As you are well aware all Latin American nations are not the same. Is the shared colonial history under Spain enough to make the DR more similar to Bolivia, a very different Latin American nation, over TnT an island that was under Spanish rule for a time and has a shared Caribbean culture?

I am a little puzzled as to why you keep asserting that the Spanish Caribbean is closer to Latin America overall than it is to the English speaking Caribbean as if anyone said otherwise. I don't recall anyone debating that. Some questioned the strength of the ties among Latin American countries but thats different than what you are debating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas