Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 01:20 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,721,454 times

Advertisements

Nice pictures. I think going to Brazil Carnival or no Carnival is still 100% on my do to list. The problem when visiting certain places like Brazil is that there is too much stuff to want to do and it is such a big place. I think that is the major different between travelling to certain places in the Americas vs Europe. I could do multiple cities and countries in Europe fast .. in the Americas... you can really do that as fast unless you have your own privite plane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 02:36 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,433,040 times
Yes, not even brazilians have been to many places in Brazil.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:21 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
. Trinidad has 3 seasons .. wet, dry and Carnival !

Interesting that you say this. I know folks who go down after Xmas and come back before carnival itself, and they will tell you that they went to carnival. There is a whole culture based on "pre carnival" with all of the fetes and the preliminary shows and the mas camps (not show if they still do the Calypso tents) that is a secret that only the true devotees know.

And yes they do this so they can go down on the cheap, not having to pay the high fares that those who go for the main event must endure.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:24 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
I will also add that one should work up to Trinidad carnival (or Brazil's) especially if one is not from those countries.

After seeing Trinidad I really cannot take the other carnivals as anything other than little country fairs. I mean from 8AM to 8PM bands were crossing the stage, without stop, and this in an island with only 1.3 million people. Amazing, and that is only 10% of what carnival is all about, the final penultimate event.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:27 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,721,454 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I will also add that one should work up to Trinidad carnival (or Brazil's) especially if one is not from those countries.

After seeing Trinidad I really cannot take the other carnivals as anything other than little country fairs. I mean from 8AM to 8PM bands were crossing the stage, without stop, and this in an island with only 1.3 million people. Amazing, and that is only 10% of what carnival is all about, the final penultimate event.
I have never been in person... but it is a big big big deal. It is not a day event ... there are so many events leading up to it. It is also a huge cultural thing. It is imbedded in the culture especially if you are from the capital. I was getting the coolest facebooks photo of family taking part in different events and in competitions. I have had several family members that have been Carnival Queens, involved in designing costumes and competitions.

The grandness of carnival also flows over in to Trinidadian culture in terms of parties. Trinidadians LOVE to have and go to parties. If you are not having a party ... you are going to a party. People also like to go all out for events. Ex for Hallowing as a kid I never had a store bought costume. My grandmother would designs what we wanted and off we would go in our custom made costumes. Any party is always overflowing with food and drinks and goes late ( people also always show up late too lol which is totally what my family did to day. I had a party this weekend and just as the party was going to be ending .... some more family members showed up and the party continued for another 4 hours lol.

It is a huge area of Trini Pride! Rich or poor ... young or old.... you need to be ready to jump and wine and be ready to take part in the fun !

Old 03-06-2017, 06:58 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,169,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

This is so true. I tend to keep that to myself as I live on another island that celebrates Carnival and it's very different. Much slower, milder. That's fine, of course, but I'm hardly compelled to take part. Not after having played mas in Trinidad...

Old 04-04-2020, 06:09 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,721,600 times
Street party during Barranquilla carnival.

Old 04-04-2020, 06:20 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
Video wouldn't play back.

I hope it's not recent though. I thought all those activities were shut down?

Old 04-04-2020, 07:17 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,721,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Video wouldn't play back.

I hope it's not recent though. I thought all those activities were shut down?
You can watch on the guy's channel, the title link will take you there. He's a legit guy, great energy and good grass-roots content on real life in Colombia.

Carnival was luckily just before the shut-down, video was filmed on 2nd March I believe. Atlantico state (capital: Barranquilla) has 2 deaths thus far from Covid-19, they're disinfecting the streets on a daily basis.
Coronavirus: así es como Barranquilla lava y desinfectas sus calles | El Tiempo

Old 04-05-2020, 09:05 AM

620 posts, read 1,072,863 times
Carnavales De Barranquilla !!! Colombia ... amazing fun , dance, folklore, non stop partying , local with friendly people . The best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas