Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 10:37 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,721,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
There are wild penguins in Argentina lol ? Animals and people adapt as their environment changes. I am sure penguins would try a banana if there were no other options !
Oh my god. I just realized that I know like nothing about Argentina. LOL there ARE penguins !!! Wow now I feel clueless. Just my crazy luck I would book a trip to Argentina, think I am heading off to some tropical beach trip and end up in one the parts that has cold weather. Oh the tears I would cry ! Now when I hear people from Canada say they are heading south for vacation in the winter to get a way from the cold ... I will remind them hey don't go too South because there is snows in Argentina too .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 11:11 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,721,600 times
Quote:
Oh my god. I just realized that I know like nothing about Argentina. LOL there ARE penguins !!! Wow now I feel clueless. Just my crazy luck I would book a trip to Argentina, think I am heading off to some tropical beach trip and end up in one the parts that has cold weather. Oh the tears I would cry ! Now when I hear people from Canada say they are heading south for vacation in the winter to get a way from the cold ... I will remind them hey don't go too South because there is snows in Argentina too .
Come on Klm!

Surely you know that the Southern hemisphere has inverted summers?!?!

Their summer is in Christmas and their winter in July so you can still head south to get some rays. Though not too far south mind i.e. Tierra del Fuego which is right near Antartica.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:49 AM

Default Lol ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Come on Klm!

Surely you know that the Southern hemisphere has inverted summers?!?!

Their summer is in Christmas and their winter in July so you can still head south to get some rays. Though not too far south mind i.e. Tierra del Fuego which is right near Antartica.
Clearly knowledge in this area is not my strength . Hey I live so far from the equator it might as well just be the moon. I don't think about this stuff on a regular basis lol. Let's just say every day I get a little bit smarter ! In short I think I just settled my debate over if to go to Colombia or Argentina this year. Argentina = No rice, beans or bananas, but Evita, Steak, Casa Rosada and the possiblity of snow and penguins... I think I will just head to Colombia instead !

Old 02-25-2016, 03:47 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,791,347 times
Quote:
You made me laugh so much with your post! That happened to me the first trips I made to Brazil. I was told Southern Brazil is very cold in the winter. I thought they were exaggerating (Brazilians) but it was freezing cold.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:10 PM

Default Fact vs exaggeration ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
You made me laugh so much with your post! That happened to me the first trips I made to Brazil. I was told Southern Brazil is very cold in the winter. I thought they were exaggerating (Brazilians) but it was freezing cold.
When I think south I just think warm. I went to Orlando Florida once year to escape the cold and for some crazy reason that year it was really really cold in December and orange crops where even freezing. I was literally at Disney World at 7 pm at night wearing a Winter jacket and freezing. I got really sick after that. After that situation I try to get as close as possible to the equator when booking a vacation in December. I have had friends go to Cuba, Jamaica, the Bahamas and other more Northern Caribbean Islands to try to escape the cold in winter and found the weather not beach appropriate and be really disappointed. I just know if I booked a trip to South America and ended up in an area full of snow, ice and peguins I would have an epic hissy fit ! I actually 100% thought that other poster that made a comment about the penguins was joking. I think I will be keeping my ventures as close as possible to the equator. Glad I got this reminder now.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:29 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,433,040 times
I almost never see anyone mentioning St. Martin/Marteen & St. Barth islands here.
They seem to be awesome.
As a canadian do you speak some french? Do you work for KLM?
Have you already been there?

Old 02-26-2016, 10:03 AM

Default Klm ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
I almost never see anyone mentioning St. Martin/Marteen & St. Barth islands here.
They seem to be awesome.
As a canadian do you speak some french? Do you work for KLM?
Have you already been there?
No I do not work for KLM the airline (this is short for something else). As a Canadian I probably should speak French (), but I live in Toronto, Ontario which is a very multicultural city and French is taught in school, but not commonly spoken by most people in this city. The government is trying to make more efforts to encourage people to learn French by offering full day French schools for kids, but this is still not offered at that many schools in this city. I learned Italian and French in school from the age of 4 and it was not actually taken that seriously so I know how to say very little and understand very little personally. I actually would have better luck at understanding Spanish just based on being around Spanish speaking people, music and culture growing up. Most Canadians are sadly not bilingual in English and French though it is taught in school. There are certain cities and provinces in Canada where French is more commonly spoken and they also tend to be more people that are bilingual there ex the province of Quebec and New Brunswick.

St. Martin/Marteen & St. Barth islands are very popular for higher end tourism. I have never been. I would go if given the opportunity, but to me not exactly the most interesting place compared to other islands in the Caribbean. They are supposed to be very beautify, but they tend to be more expensive to visit and are considered more luxury travel where as some of the other islands are much cheaper to visit (ex you might be playing $1000 more per person plus to go their at a resort vs some other places). It just like visiting Aruba or Curacao are typically more expensive to visit then some other Caribbean. I went to a resort in Curacao, but only went because I got a really last minute special package. It was nice, but to be honest got a little boring. It is small and frankly if I am on vacation I was to have endless options of things to do. There are only so many hours I want to sit on the beach for each day. I personally do not value spending a lot to stay at a certain hotel that is 5 stars that looks pretty or have very fancy restaurants as I really do not want to go on vacation to stay in my hotel room. I want to be in my room just to sleep and change. The rest of the time and I want to be out exploring and having fun. This is why as much as I love the Caribbean as someone who lives in a Major city it can get boring really fast if you choose the wrong location ex the middle of no where on a beach resort. But it you just want to sit on the beach all day sipping on champagne while resting your head on 1000 thread count sheets St. Martin/Marteen & St. Barth islands would probably be a good choice.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:33 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,433,040 times
Nice!!
I'm beginning to learn french but I've just started.
I think I would like these islands not because I like to be seated in a beach but because I like to explore different beaches and they offer nice different beaches to discover, and also charming places to window shopping, the boat trip among them and so on. They seem to to be so charming.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
Nice!!

I'm beginning to learn french but I've just started.

I think I would like these islands not because I like to be seated in a beach but because I like to explore different beaches and they offer nice different beaches to discover, and also charming places to window shopping, the boat trip among them and so on. They seem to to be so charming.

I can 100% gaurantee anything in those windows are a huge rip off. Looking for inspiration or ideas sure.. to buys nuts. I guess I shop way more then the average person and have learned that the prettier the window the bigger the mark up. I love nice stuff, but know how to get just about anything I want at a huge discount now. When shopping in tourist areas things are usually sold at crazy high mark ups. For example I really like Swarovski jewellery and have a tone of it. I use to buy stuff at the pretty little boutiques at major high end shopping malls or in the downtown core of my city. I also use to try and get stuff at duty free shops at the airport or when driving in to the USA from Canada. Then I realized when I was in the USA the company has an outlet store and I could get stuff I like at a fraction of the cost. Ex necklace sold for $125 USA at the duty free store ... I got for $25 at the outlet store. When I was in Panama and Curacao at look at Swarovski jewellery stores in the airports or in nice areas and mall the stuff was even more then what is costs to buy these items in standard store in Canada. These islands both have very good reputations for being beautiful and do cater their tourism to higher end preferences so there will like be nice things in shops to look at at very high prices. If you live in the Americas and want to go shopping for high end items at huge discounts, have lots of do and great beaches... go to Florida in the USA. Every time I go there in the Outlet shopping malls there are tones of tourists from Brazil and other parts of Latin American that buy suit cases at the outlet mall and fill them with things they are buying at the outlet mall that are sold at huge discounts. I am heading to Florida in March and planning on spending days at the beach or assussment parks and nights at the outlet shopping malls which are open until 10-11 pm at night.

I find shopping in the Caribbean a huge rip off. Apparently people from other Islands come to places like Trinidad to shop because they have better shopping. When I was in Trinidad I was in horror that people were willing to pay the prices stores were charging for this stuff we get in Canada and the USA for way less. I know people here that ship stuff to Trinidad for family because the prices charged are crazy compared to here ex brand name tooth paste $0.50 a tube here .. $6 or $7 dollars there. I have cousin in Florida who lives in Florida and ships stuff back to Trinidad for stores and it is insane the mark up that they sell stuff for that people actually buy. I have family in Trinidad and freinds from Costa Rica that say their family comes of the USA or Canada on vacation to shop because they can get better quality stuff cheaper here. Thanks for getting me excited about my up coming trip ... shopping in the USA is insane. If you know how the sales work you can at times get things for 90% off to free (that was not a error).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NKDssz5vh4

Regarding learning French .... good for you. I personally have always been bad at learning languages. No matter where I go people just start speaking English to me or I just point and smile so I have got away with being lazy in that area. I lived in a city called Moncton in New Brunswick Canada for around 1 year and ended up working at a French store and it was so funny because this is the only offically fully bilingual city in Canada so people would not pick up that I did not speak French right away because they are so use to going back and forth between the 2 languages when talking tgat they did not always get that I was responding in English beacuse I did not really know how to respond properly in French. I am sure some of the customers must have thought I was a little slow or something. They also speak French very fast there so not the easiest to to understand if you passed high school French with a C- grade. I really wonder if French in those islands is easy to understand or more Creole. Simlar to English spoken the Caribbean. It is not exactly 100% the same. I have many freinds that have met my family and had said when they start to talk with other people from Trinidad they do not always understand what they are saying fully. I have had a few boy freinds that spoke Spanish, Hebrew or Arabic that were totally confused when talking to some people in my family and I had to recuse them from some tricky conversations. I would question if French in these Islands would be spoken the say way ex a lot of expressions that might not translate the same way.

Last edited by klmrocks; 02-26-2016 at 03:43 PM..

Old 02-26-2016, 06:05 PM

439 posts, read 521,499 times
Quote:
I can 100% gaurantee anything in those windows are a huge rip off. Looking for inspiration or ideas sure.. to buys nuts. I guess I shop way more then the average person and have learned that the prettier the window the bigger the mark up. I love nice stuff, but know how to get just about anything I want at a huge discount now. When shopping in tourist areas things are usually sold at crazy high mark ups. For example I really like Swarovski jewellery and have a tone of it. I use to buy stuff at the pretty little boutiques at major high end shopping malls or in the downtown core of my city. I also use to try and get stuff at duty free shops at the airport or when driving in to the USA from Canada. Then I realized when I was in the USA the company has an outlet store and I could get stuff I like at a fraction of the cost. Ex necklace sold for $125 USA at the duty free store ... I got for $25 at the outlet store. When I was in Panama and Curacao at look at Swarovski jewellery stores in the airports or in nice areas and mall the stuff was even more then what is costs to buy these items in standard store in Canada. These islands both have very good reputations for being beautiful and do cater their tourism to higher end preferences so there will like be nice things in shops to look at at very high prices. If you live in the Americas and want to go shopping for high end items at huge discounts, have lots of do and great beaches... go to Florida in the USA. Every time I go there in the Outlet shopping malls there are tones of tourists from Brazil and other parts of Latin American that buy suit cases at the outlet mall and fill them with things they are buying at the outlet mall that are sold at huge discounts. I am heading to Florida in March and planning on spending days at the beach or assussment parks and nights at the outlet shopping malls which are open until 10-11 pm at night.

I find shopping in the Caribbean a huge rip off. Apparently people from other Islands come to places like Trinidad to shop because they have better shopping. When I was in Trinidad I was in horror that people were willing to pay the prices stores were charging for this stuff we get in Canada and the USA for way less. I know people here that ship stuff to Trinidad for family because the prices charged are crazy compared to here ex brand name tooth paste $0.50 a tube here .. $6 or $7 dollars there. I have cousin in Florida who lives in Florida and ships stuff back to Trinidad for stores and it is insane the mark up that they sell stuff for that people actually buy. I have family in Trinidad and freinds from Costa Rica that say their family comes of the USA or Canada on vacation to shop because they can get better quality stuff cheaper here. Thanks for getting me excited about my up coming trip ... shopping in the USA is insane. If you know how the sales work you can at times get things for 90% off to free (that was not a error).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NKDssz5vh4

Regarding learning French .... good for you. I personally have always been bad at learning languages. No matter where I go people just start speaking English to me or I just point and smile so I have got away with being lazy in that area. I lived in a city called Moncton in New Brunswick Canada for around 1 year and ended up working at a French store and it was so funny because this is the only offically fully bilingual city in Canada so people would not pick up that I did not speak French right away because they are so use to going back and forth between the 2 languages when talking tgat they did not always get that I was responding in English beacuse I did not really know how to respond properly in French. I am sure some of the customers must have thought I was a little slow or something. They also speak French very fast there so not the easiest to to understand if you passed high school French with a C- grade. I really wonder if French in those islands is easy to understand or more Creole. Simlar to English spoken the Caribbean. It is not exactly 100% the same. I have many freinds that have met my family and had said when they start to talk with other people from Trinidad they do not always understand what they are saying fully. I have had a few boy freinds that spoke Spanish, Hebrew or Arabic that were totally confused when talking to some people in my family and I had to recuse them from some tricky conversations. I would question if French in these Islands would be spoken the say way ex a lot of expressions that might not translate the same way.
klmrocks is Panama an island? Hmmm I didn´t know that. We learn something new everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas