Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 11:05 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Unless you distribute directly.
And is there a chance that the government would allow that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 07:52 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,966,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I have yet to meet a Venezuelan that was a chavista. The Venezuelans I have met have been extremely anti chavez and right wing. Many of them evangelical Christians.
OMG yeah super evangelical. I haven't met either any regular Venezuelan who is a chavista. They ones that are Chavistas here in Miami are wealthy people living in million dollar homes.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I'm repping this post.

Exactly why I don't leap to assist in the "tragedy du jour" as advertised on Red Cross solicitations. Early in its existence Israel offered agricultural aid to most African countries. This was gratefully accepted until the Arabs offered cash after the price of oil went up. Guess what happened to the cash? And similarly U.S. Peace Corp. aid was not welcomed with open arms.
Unfortunately there are a lot crooks out there.

I feel really bad for those people in Venezuela who don't have access to medication. For those of you who speak Spanish the first minutes of this video is really sad. It's about a popular venezuelan singer Yordano who has a rare form of cancer. This is not a poor guy who cannot afford to buy his medicines. The medicines are just not there. They are scarce. People are dying.

Yordano explains that they have systems there where people donate unused pills to give it to those who need them. Literally they collect pill by pill. He cries when he tells the host that the people who donated his medicine didn't even know they were going to a celebrity like him. People actually go out of their way to help others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb5U7ZkLj6k

Old 06-20-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I thought a lot of wealthy Venezuelans moved to and took their wealth to South Florida.
Many did. Some moved to Colombia because they had connections there or because they had no way to become citizens in the US.

I know a Venezuelan who lives in Colombia. She married a friend of us who lived in Venezuela for decades and they moved back to Colombia because of the situation there. She actually got a very good job there just by applying to an job ad.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:32 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,720,754 times
Default This makes me mad ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post

I feel really bad for those people in Venezuela who don't have access to medication. For those of you who speak Spanish the first minutes of this video is really sad. It's about a popular venezuelan singer Yordano who has a rare form of cancer. This is not a poor guy who cannot afford to buy his medicines. The medicines are just not there. They are scarce. People are dying.

Yordano explains that they have systems there where people donate unused pills to give it to those who need them. Literally they collect pill by pill. He cries when he tells the host that the people who donated his medicine didn't even know they were going to a celebrity like him. People actually go out of their way to help others.

This situation makes me mad. Do you know how much good medication we dump/ distroy in Canada. If we have patients that come from home with medication or the medicaion gets changed the stuff does not get re-used or resorted to give another person even if in a blister pack (never touched) ... the stuff gets distroyed and there are people out there that can not access basic medication. Totally sickening.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:05 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,643,384 times
This news story kind of explains why even NGOs would find it too hard to get food and other aid to those truly in need. Truly a catch-22 situation. It must be very much akin to hell there now. Maybe drones could get food to the people, if a way could be found so that the government wouldn't seize it. Good point about the medications! I wish there were a way to send meds to needy people, because I just hate throwing them away, if it's discontinued or something. We often get 90-day supplies by mail.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/20/wo...ng-nation.html

Old 06-20-2016, 06:57 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,720,754 times
Default They dont want us to give it away ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
This news story kind of explains why even NGOs would find it too hard to get food and other aid to those truly in need. Truly a catch-22 situation. It must be very much akin to hell there now. Maybe drones could get food to the people, if a way could be found so that the government wouldn't seize it. Good point about the medications! I wish there were a way to send meds to needy people, because I just hate throwing them away, if it's discontinued or something. We often get 90-day supplies by mail.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/20/wo...ng-nation.html
The pharmaceutical companies don't want us to give them away. They are making a killing and don't want to loose their profits. It is really a sad situation. I actually know some people that work in the industry and we were talking about what I suggests to patients. I personally always suggest people go generic first and only use the trade make brand name if the generic form does not fit the bill. Well lets just say they did not take well to me suggesting this stuff. From an ethical stand point I could care they want they wanted. I could not justify suggesting to someone that had limited resources to spend more on something just because it comes in a pretty bottle and has a cool commercial. This is mainly why in hospitals and care facilities the pharmacy wants the medication destroyed. This is business sadly.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:42 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
Quote:

That was heart breaking. I think a lot of people don't realize just how bad things have gotten in Venezuela. I still run into a lot of Latinos (not Venezuelans obviously) that applaud Chavez and Maduro. I think that is kind of hard to do that now with all the information and bad news that has come out of Venezuela. So sad.

By the way Ismael Cala used to have a tv show in Toronto.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:47 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
Quote:
OMG yeah super evangelical. I haven't met either any regular Venezuelan who is a chavista. They ones that are Chavistas here in Miami are wealthy people living in million dollar homes.
That's crazy.

Some one needs to rob them. lol

Old 06-20-2016, 08:50 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
That was heart breaking. I think a lot of people don't realize just how bad things have gotten in Venezuela. I still run into a lot of Latinos (not Venezuelans obviously) that applaud Chavez and Maduro. I think that is kind of hard to do that now with all the information and bad news that has come out of Venezuela. So sad.

By the way Ismael Cala used to have a tv show in Toronto.
It would have been better if attacks on Chavez weren't decried as interference in Venezuela's internal affairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas