Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 09:19 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCrazyDaisyx View Post
It was the music and the culture in general. I even taught myself a bit of Icelandic back then. I got to meet one of my favorite singers from the Faroe Islands and got a picture with her.
That is really cool! Good for you! I would not of had the drive to do that around 15!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 07:17 PM

Default Still cool....

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCrazyDaisyx View Post
It was the music and the culture in general. I even taught myself a bit of Icelandic back then. I got to meet one of my favorite singers from the Faroe Islands and got a picture with her.
I think you are underestimating how cool that is. Not a lot of people I know can say they know a little Icelandic. Good for you !

Old 06-02-2016, 02:07 PM

881 posts, read 921,376 times
Common in the past, not so much nowadays.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:42 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times
I had one of those parties decades ago... Maybe if I had still lived in Latin America I would have been offered a trip instead. I didn't really enjoy the celebration but at least I didn't have one of those tacky wide bright colored gowns. The dress was actually nice even though I didn't choose it.

Even back then I thought the whole thing was tacky, anyone remember the Telenovela with Adela Noriega and Thalia? Of course one of the main protagonist was raped like all the telenovelas back then LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sMK81YZ2ZM

Old 06-03-2016, 09:51 PM

Default Lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I had one of those parties decades ago... Maybe if I had still lived in Latin America I would have been offered a trip instead. I didn't really enjoy the celebration but at least I didn't have one of those tacky wide bright colored gowns. The dress was actually nice even though I didn't choose it.

Even back then I thought the whole thing was tacky, anyone remember the Telenovela with Adela Noriega and Thalia? Of course one of the main protagonist was raped like all the telenovelas back then LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sMK81YZ2ZM
If I get the opportunity just to kick it off my bucket list I am going to rock one of those big poofy dresses!!! This is giving me a new trend idea .... Every age that ends in a 5 should get a big party like this. It kinds of sucks that after a woman has a baby shower for her child .... No more big parties .... Oh wait I forgot the funeral . Then again I guess it might be actually worse for men lol.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:36 AM

19 posts, read 18,093 times
COLOMBIA:
In Colombia quincianera is more of a teenage party thing rather than a huge family feast like Mexicans do in quincianera.

WORKING CLASS COLOMBIANS:
The quincianera invites her closest friends almost always teenagers like her from her school or her neighborhood. They have a teeny bop party where they listen to Justin Bieber, Miley Cirus or God knows what..... normally at the quincianera's home.... but nothing like mexican parties though!

MIDDLE CLASS COLOMBIANS:
Usually upper class girls will trade the party for some concert tickets, or a trip somewhere to the beach in the Colombian caribbean with her friends.

UPPER CLASS COLOMBIANS:
Rich girls will go to paris, disney orlando or japan or god knows where. I don't really think such a folkloric festivity would be well seen in their upper class eyes. (quincianeras? omg that is too common)

The best quincianeras go to:
Mexicans have the most elaborate quincianeras ever. They have these gorgeous dresses, mariachis, mothers cry (I went to a mexican quincianera), there is food, grandmas are there, neighbors, cousins, uncles, siblings you name it! Food for days and days!!! OMG is a huge deal, it is so much more fun.

Mexicans have gorgeous elaborate parties with beautiful dresses that celebrate mexican culture (The guy with the sombrero is SO ADORABLE) and the dress is beautiful and very mexican!

Sadly for us Colombians quincianera means (congrats you're 15, now you can act like a grown up and pretend you know what life is about), so here is a trip for you to go and do grown up crap while your parents sit at home thinking you're riding ponies with your teenage friends, when in reality you're slutting yourself around for the first time in your life!

Colombian culture is very sexualized and liberal (not always in the right way)

in Colombia is normal to see 16 year olds full of make up drunk on the streets on the weekend..... Mexico you'd never see that!! (they are much more conservative in a good way and less sexualized which is good)

I often dislike how superficial and proud and ****ty colombians can be!

Old 06-08-2016, 10:13 AM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by irene-69 View Post
COLOMBIA:
In Colombia quincianera is more of a teenage party thing rather than a huge family feast like Mexicans do in quincianera.

WORKING CLASS COLOMBIANS:
The quincianera invites her closest friends almost always teenagers like her from her school or her neighborhood. They have a teeny bop party where they listen to Justin Bieber, Miley Cirus or God knows what..... normally at the quincianera's home.... but nothing like mexican parties though!

MIDDLE CLASS COLOMBIANS:
Usually upper class girls will trade the party for some concert tickets, or a trip somewhere to the beach in the Colombian caribbean with her friends.

UPPER CLASS COLOMBIANS:
Rich girls will go to paris, disney orlando or japan or god knows where. I don't really think such a folkloric festivity would be well seen in their upper class eyes. (quincianeras? omg that is too common)

The best quincianeras go to:
Mexicans have the most elaborate quincianeras ever. They have these gorgeous dresses, mariachis, mothers cry (I went to a mexican quincianera), there is food, grandmas are there, neighbors, cousins, uncles, siblings you name it! Food for days and days!!! OMG is a huge deal, it is so much more fun.

Mexicans have gorgeous elaborate parties with beautiful dresses that celebrate mexican culture (The guy with the sombrero is SO ADORABLE) and the dress is beautiful and very mexican!

Sadly for us Colombians quincianera means (congrats you're 15, now you can act like a grown up and pretend you know what life is about), so here is a trip for you to go and do grown up crap while your parents sit at home thinking you're riding ponies with your teenage friends, when in reality you're slutting yourself around for the first time in your life!

Colombian culture is very sexualized and liberal (not always in the right way)

in Colombia is normal to see 16 year olds full of make up drunk on the streets on the weekend..... Mexico you'd never see that!! (they are much more conservative in a good way and less sexualized which is good)

I often dislike how superficial and proud and ****ty colombians can be!
Okay now I want a Quincianera too ! I like the first picture. I guess it might be my thinking related to my own up bringing, but if you have a party you are likely getting gifts from guests. And with all those gifts you could probably rake in enough cash as gifts to pay for your own trip after the party. So I would have opted for a party ! It reminds me of how some people down play the wedding party to put a down payement down on a house. Sure it is more practical, but at what other time of your life are you going to be able to have a party with all the fuss like this. You can always get a house later or a trip later. You only turn a ceratin age once and hopefully get married once. If got married again I would have an even bigger wedding ! Then again I think people from Trinidad (at least that I know) have a very big party culture mentality (at least in my opinion).

Oh and I agree re young teens being over sexulaized. If they are acting like that at 15 ... they will likely be on their 5th child out of wed lock before they hit 21. I am not saying they have to be angels ... but save something to exlpore when you are a bit older or life is going to get boring pretty fast.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:32 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times
Look who was here, Irene's reincarnation. As usual she was clueless about Colombia. Well hopefully I will see her in her next internet life.

Upper class people still get celebrations lol And poor classes also spend a lot of their money in those parties. They don't just hold a block party. Nonsense.

Colombian Culture, Colombia Adoption and Raising Colombian Kids: Quinceañera Parties in Colombia

Old 06-16-2016, 06:33 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
:d

Old 06-16-2016, 08:58 PM

Default Other places ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Look who was here, Irene's reincarnation. As usual she was clueless about Colombia. Well hopefully I will see her in her next internet life.

Upper class people still get celebrations lol And poor classes also spend a lot of their money in those parties. They don't just hold a block party. Nonsense.

Colombian Culture, Colombia Adoption and Raising Colombian Kids: Quinceañera Parties in Colombia
I was talking to someone from Guyana and I did not realize they do something like this, but at 16 though. What the heck lol I feel cheated ( I am joking ). Regarding the block party type item, why not. People need to work with they got. In reality not everyone has the means to pull off stuff like that. I know my family could not afford to have a party like a wedding for me as a teenager. To having a party at a restaurant with my freind and cousins with my parents footing the bill was still really special and more then most kids got in my neighbourhood. We had a surprise sweet 16 party at my house for my best friend and she loved it. Her dad just lost his job a few months before and money was tight so we decided to host one for her so she would not feel left out ( It actually turned out to be the best party ... lol ... invited 20 people and ended up with more like 50 people)! The fact that a group of people get together to celebrate your birthday in itself should be the important part. Man I miss being a teenager !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas