Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 02:41 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,728,899 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how common are Quinceañeras in the Americas? I do not really recall any of my freinds having one growing up. Are Quinceañeras celebrated in only certain countries or economic groups within certain countries? In Canada `sweet 16`Birthday Parties for girls are more common, but not everyone does this and how big of a deal they make it varries from family to family. Any one of Latin American descent living outside of a Spanish speaking countries ex in Europe, Canada or the USA still have Quinceañeras for girls in their family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 04:31 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,409,857 times
In Central America it is pretty common. A lot of Girls here probably don't do it as much because it is not something that is commonly done here, but there are some families that still do it. I have been to several quinceaneras here.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:51 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,474,299 times
In the SW US they are very common. There are Quince stores and bridal shops that have Quince Depts here in NM and of course Tejas. My students are always telling me about their cousins' quinces. They enjoy them.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:27 PM

So is there an equivalent for guys? I got a vibe from some stuff I read that some people like xCrazyDaisyx were opting for trips or big gifts vs a party. Is there any truth to this? I had a part for my sweet 16 at a restaurant that turned in to a night club in the evening with friends and older cousins (no really adults allowed). Me and bunch of my friends had makes overs done at the mall on the day of the party too, but these Quinceañeras seem like weddings. It seems like a fun tradition.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
So is there an equivalent for guys? I got a vibe from some stuff I read that some people like xCrazyDaisyx were opting for trips or big gifts vs a party. Is there any truth to this? I had a part for my sweet 16 at a restaurant that turned in to a night club in the evening with friends and older cousins (no really adults allowed). Me and bunch of my friends had makes overs done at the mall on the day of the party too, but these Quinceañeras seem like weddings. It seems like a fun tradition.
Yeah my little sister didn't want one instead she asked to be taken to California. She wanted to meet my cousins in LA.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCrazyDaisyx View Post
I opted for a trip because I don't really have any friends and I was really into Iceland at the time. .
Why don't you have any friends? Iceland seems cool, but its seems like a pretty random place for a teenager to be interested in, what exactly interested you about Iceland? Were you into Bjork?

Old 05-30-2016, 07:13 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,795,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
My mother gave me the choice of a quinceañera or a trip to Europe- I chose the trip. I think the money is better spent that way.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:14 PM

Default Freinds ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCrazyDaisyx View Post
I opted for a trip because I don't really have any friends and I was really into Iceland at the time. If I had a batter social life and no interest in a specific country I probably would have opted for a party.
It does totally look like you need a boat load of friends to pull of that dance thing. Regarding having lots of friends ... well I had lots of so called friends as a teen because I used to host lots of parties ..... but you learn as you get older their are real friends and friends that are just around for the good times. Very few of those friends would stick around during harder times. Quality of friends is better then quantity.

It also seems like you really needs to have very committee friends to do this type of party or a tone of extended family members. I am sure those outfits and going to practice for the dance takes knowing people that are really committee to doing it. I know if Toronto Filipino people due a sweet 15 type part like that and it takes a tone of people to pull it off. I have friends... but I am not sure I could rope them in to that level of effort for me to have a birthday party. I guess it is easier if most people have one so people just kind if know what is expected.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:17 PM

Default What I was thinking ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Why don't you have any friends? Iceland seems cool, but its seems like a pretty random place for a teenager to be interested in, what exactly interested you about Iceland? Were you into Bjork?
Yes I was thinking that too.. why Iceland? Ya .. was it the music? Finding the right friend or group of friends can be tricky. As a teen girls are just evil lol. Always back stabbing and competing with each other ... it was pretty pathetic.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:21 PM

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
My mother gave me the choice of a quinceañera or a trip to Europe- I chose the trip. I think the money is better spent that way.
Your mom was smart those parties look like they take a lot of effort to plan. Not that anyone was offering me the choice lol... but I would have wanted a party , but could not have found that many people to do that dance thing at that age. I was not allowed to have guys around at 15. My father would of have a heart attack and locked me in my room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas