Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 04:05 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,531,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
They live in two different worlds with very little contact between the two.

Haitians are non Hispanic Caribbean people, so when they migrate these are the people who they eventually mingle with. The strongest ties that Haitians have are with other French creole groups like people from Martinique, Guadeloupe, Dominica, and St Lucia. In NYC one will sooner see them with Jamaicans than with Dominicans.

All those who present Haitians as Latin Americans really need to get a life.

And yes there are even friendships between Israelis and Palestinians. The reality is that in NYC Haitians and Dominicans ignore each other. Dominicans would rather engage in their love hate relationship with Puerto Ricans. Ditto between Haitians and other non Hispanic Caribbean blacks.

Old 07-09-2016, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Haiti is the country in this hemisphere that has the most massacres due to skin color, mostly massacres of the lighter skin mulattoes. The most recent massacre of this nature took place in the 1960's in some town in southern Haiti, I think it was Jeremie or Jeremia.

One guy narrates this here: #2447: Duvalier - Jeremie Massacres 1964 (fwd)

The whites were almost completely exterminated during the general massacres during the Haitian Revolution. Through the remaining 19th century and all the way up to the 20th century, the mulatto presence in Haiti has been on a steady decline due to the hostility and massacres that periodically were committed by regimes based on the notion of nourisme, which is basically black supremacy. Most Haitian mulattoes actually fled the country and ended up in places such as Canada (especially in Quebec), various parts of the USA, and in France itself. A small number of them settled in Dominican Republic and Cuba too. The southern part of Haiti has traditionally been a mulatto society, from my understanding.

There isn't much 'anti-blackism' as you call it, some people simply like to confuse the anti-Haitian feels with anti-black and ignore that Haitians are the only blacks that face a sort of resistence even by other blacks not just in the DR, but also in the rest of the Caribbean. In the Bahamas they tend to be much more strict with the Haitians and no one says or notice anything. Even the Bahamian Minister of Immigration was whining to the international community about the Haitian problem they are facing:

This is how the Bahamas gathers the illegal Haitians before they deport them:

Activist Says Picture Shows Immigrants 'Caged Like Animals'

They simply don't want them. Anti-blackism in the Bahamas? Of course not. They are just overwhelmed with illegal Haitian migrants and fear this will impact their identity and their nation if nothing is done. Add to this that the Bahamas has zero negative history with Haiti, their only issue is the massive migration problem.

Your screams of the plight of mulattoes in Haiti are quite pathetic. Did you mention how the mulatto Cedras murdered THOUSANDS of mainly blacks in Haiti. Or the fact that the bulk of Haiti's powerful elites are mulatto?

Oh yes you can cite incidents where people who happened to be mulatto were killed, but you look ridiculous when any one glimpses who the tycoons in Haiti are, or even who Haiti selects as its Miss Universe represents. Haitian mulattos powerless and persecuted!!!!! PLEASE!

The Bahamas doesn't have an ideology of hatred against Haitians based on race. I suggest that you comment on Balaguer and his remarks on this topic. Please cite evidence that Dominicans were offended by being connected to the bigotry that was involved.

I don't have a problem with Haitians being deported. What I have a problem with is ethnic eradication entailed in laws which are specifically tailored to force most people of Haitian ancestry out of the DR.

And yes The Bahamas has been criticized for its treatment of undocumented migrants from Haiti, THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, Jamaica and Cuba. In fact a Cuban American group tried to urge a boycott of that country in the face of inhumane treatment towards Cubans.

The fact that The Bahamas doesn't attract that the attention that the DR does is because of all the angst of skin color, race, and bigotry which has literally colored how Haitians are perceived.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:42 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,059 times
Noted author, Jared Diamond's book "Collapse: how Societies Choose to Fail or Survive" - devotes a chapter about why Haiti is so different from its neighbor, the Dom Rep.

1. Haiti lies on the wrong side of the mountain range to get needed rainfall, which falls instead completely on the Dom. Rep. and none of it on Haiti.

2. Haiti has chosen to depend on firewood for its energy needs, and has totally cut down its forests. Aerial photos reveal a sharp contrast looking at both sides of the border (frontier). The Dom. Rep. by contrast, for a long time has wisely invested in other sources of energy. It has preserved its forest in a national park.

3. Haiti's government and economical/ agricultural development model was always less effective than the Dom. Rep.'s model. Haiti is very unfriendly to business - its government makes it very costly and difficult to get the permits to start businesses.

4. After winning its independence from France, Haiti was forced to pay off the French government 90 million gold francs to compensate European slave owners for their financial losses and gain diplomatic recognition from European governments. This reimbursement continued until 1946.

Most common Haitians speak not standard French, but only a patois dialect, which is incomprehensible in any other nation.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:50 PM

758 posts, read 1,226,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Latin America is as racist and as hostile to blacks, as is the USA. This despite the denials of this fact.

To be "black" is to be an awful stigmatized creature, so no one wants to be black, so they find the most minute non African ancestry to proclaim that they are not black.

So a Dominican looking like Will Smith (which many of them do) will scream that he isn't black, merely because he doesn't look like Wesley Snipes.

That would be fine if they applied the same criteria to defining who is white. But they don't. Does any one seriously believe that 75% of the people living in Puerto Rico are "white"? Yet this is what so many select, rather than the "one or more races" category which the US census allows.

Latin Americans think that they are less racist because they are more "generous" in allowing people to escape the black stigma, and to embrace the glories of being white.
I heard an AA Afro-centrist scholar I forget his name, make a valid point on a panel once on TV.

He said "In the Anglo racism power system the concept was let's get rid of the BLACK by segregating it
from us."

In the Latin racism power system the concept was let's get rid of the BLACK by mixing with it, to make it
disappear.

In both cases, it was "lets get rid of theBLACK.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:58 PM

I had a Puerto Rican neighbor once, he looked East Indian and he explained to me how they were a mix of Indian,African and
Spanish..he was from Bed-Sty and had no issue with AAs...I met another one who didn't like black people and hated the fact
his brother dated AAs. I was warned this by a white friend as that was his friend and I went to visit. But he was civil with me
but I was ready to "read" him just in case.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Noted author, Jared Diamond's book "Collapse: how Societies Choose to Fail or Survive" - devotes a chapter about why Haiti is so different from its neighbor, the Dom Rep.

1. Haiti lies on the wrong side of the mountain range to get needed rainfall, which falls instead completely on the Dom. Rep. and none of it on Haiti.

2. Haiti has chosen to depend on firewood for its energy needs, and has totally cut down its forests. Aerial photos reveal a sharp contrast looking at both sides of the border (frontier). The Dom. Rep. by contrast, for a long time has wisely invested in other sources of energy. It has preserved its forest in a national park.

3. Haiti's government and economical/ agricultural development model was always less effective than the Dom. Rep.'s model. Haiti is very unfriendly to business - its government makes it very costly and difficult to get the permits to start businesses.

4. After winning its independence from France, Haiti was forced to pay off the French government 90 million gold francs to compensate European slave owners for their financial losses and gain diplomatic recognition from European governments. This reimbursement continued until 1946.

Most common Haitians speak not standard French, but only a patois dialect, which is incomprehensible in any other nation.
I really do think that France needs to explain why it still demanded compensation for the loss of their Haitian slave 100 years after they abolished slavery.

Haiti's middle class and its elites speak standard French, and more Haitians than you would think are fluent in English.

Haiti's problems are that it never had a chance. It won its independence before it was able to develop proper institutions of governance. So it fell victim to strong man after strong man.

That bit about Haiti paying France for its slaves, which France demanded well into the 20th C didn't help, because these strong men taxed every thing that moved, destroying the peasant sector, and yes, forcing the desertification of the mountains as peasants over farmed and also become exclusively dependent on wood for fuel.

Haiti is also controlled by a small mulatto and Lebanese business elite, who no doubt force anti competitive measures to stifle the development of businesses to preserve their monopolistic practices. Haiti has never had a tradition of left wing government, and in fact the Duvalier dictatorships were rewarded by US gov'ts as a bulwark against communism.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
I heard an AA Afro-centrist scholar I forget his name, make a valid point on a panel once on TV.

He said "In the Anglo racism power system the concept was let's get rid of the BLACK by segregating it
from us."

In the Latin racism power system the concept was let's get rid of the BLACK by mixing with it, to make it
disappear.

In both cases, it was "lets get rid of theBLACK.

Yes. Both Latin American and the USA have a tradition of being quite anti black. The greater subtlety of Latin American racism allows them to deny that racism is a problem. Their big boast is how mixed the populations are, even as the ghettos are filled with the dark ones, who are almost completely absent from positions of power.

And they may well succeed. A black Brazilian mother lamented that all of her kids were marrying non blacks as they so badly wanted to "eradicate the stain of blackness". She feared that in a few generations no blacks would be left in Brazil.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:50 PM

I saw an old Brazilian painting on YouTube? I think? It was of a black woman slave thanking God that her daughter had married a white man and that her grand daughter would be lighter than her...To be honest, I was INCENSED..

Old 07-09-2016, 07:01 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,891,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
I saw an old Brazilian painting on YouTube? I think? It was of a black woman slave thanking God that her daughter had married a white man and that her grand daughter would be lighter than her...To be honest, I was INCENSED..
It must be this painting.
Attached Thumbnails
Dominicans and Haitians-redenc3a7c3a3o-de-cam-2.jpg  

Old 07-09-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
It must be this painting.
Yep, that was it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas