Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 07:23 PM

758 posts, read 1,226,538 times

Advertisements

As if the white guy is doing her a favor...

Old 07-09-2016, 11:03 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,169,435 times
Such beautiful peoples and cultures, Dominicans and Haitians. The issues between them are due to slavery and colonialism, which unfortunately are deep-rooted and will take significant time to overcome.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post

These are top 30 in the world:
Those statistics are so outdated. For example, Trinidadians and Tobagonians hardly migrate as much anymore. This is due to the fact that the country has done so well.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2112rank.html

Old 07-09-2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post

As for the Cocolos, you are right that SOME (not all) of the Dominicans flocking to the Eastern Caribbean Islands are merely descendants of Eastern Caribbean migrants (some are my own relatives), but while that may true of the northeastern Caribbean, I am not sure if explains the other darker skinned Dominicans showing up in places like Trinidad and even Guyana who have NO ancestral ties to other Caribbean islands. Oddly enough, on those other islands/countries, they are just "black people" and there are no racial distinctions made like what they know back home.
True...Dominicans are certainly in islands where they have no ancestral ties. I don't blame them for going wherever they need to go to survive. At least when it comes to Trinidad, Venezuelans are the largest Spanish-speaking nation that comes over. But there are long historical ties there of course, so it is different....

Old 07-10-2016, 10:42 AM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Those statistics are so outdated. For example, Trinidadians and Tobagonians hardly migrate as much anymore. This is due to the fact that the country has done so well.

According to the CIA from your own link (I will only include the independent English islands/Guyana + DR):

Anguilla 12.18
Antigua and Barbuda 2.21
Saint Kitts and Nevis 1.21

Montserrat 0.00
Bahamas 0.00

Barbados -0.30
Dominican Republic -1.91
Saint Lucia -2.93
Grenada -3.13
Jamaica -4.66
Dominica -5.38
Trinidad and Tobago -6.25
Guyana -8.06
St Vincent & Grenadines -9.17

Most of the English Caribbean population lives in countries with very high emigration rates. Are you sure Trinidadians and Tabogans don't migrate anymore? The data in the link you cited seem to say the complete opposite.

Dominican Republic's emigration rate has actually been decreasing rapidly. I remember a few years ago that very same CIA had the migration rate at greater than -3.00 for the DR and look where it is now. In the next few years it might reach zero.

Among the Spanish Caribbean, the DR has the lowest emigration rate of all three (Cuba -3.66, Puerto Rico -8.15) and that's expected. The DR has the fastest growing economy of the three and is the only one with a growing middle class (Cuba might displace the DR in this in the next few years).

Most Dominicans that emigrate now is for family reunification mostly to the US. Dominicans also have among the lowest percentage of illegal immigrants in the USA compared to other migrant groups.

Last edited by AntonioR; 07-10-2016 at 10:58 AM..

Old 07-10-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
According to the CIA from your own link (I will only include the independent English islands/Guyana + DR):

Anguilla 12.18
Antigua and Barbuda 2.21

Montserrat 0.00
Bahamas 0.00

Barbados -0.30
Dominican Republic -1.91
Saint Lucia -2.93
Grenada -3.13
Jamaica -4.66
Dominica -5.38
Guyana -8.06

Most of the English Caribbean population lives in countries with very high emigration rates. Are you sure Trinidadians and Tabogans don't migrate anymore? The data in the link you cited seem to say the complete opposite.

Dominican Republic's emigration rate has actually been decreasing rapidly. I remember a few years ago that very same CIA had the migration rate at greater than -3.00 for the DR and look where it is now. In the next few years it might reach zero.

Among the Spanish Caribbean, the DR has the lowest emigration rate of all three (Cuba -3.66, Puerto Rico -8.15) and that's expected. The DR has the fastest growing economy of the three and is the only one with a growing middle class (Cuba might displace the DR in this in the next few years).

Most Dominicans that emigrate now is for family reunification mostly to the US. Dominicans also have among the lowest percentage of illegal immigrants in the USA compared to other migrant groups.
That's much different than the statistics you posted.

Nowhere did I state that Trinidadians don't migrate but rather that the do so much less that before. Illegal Dominicans are all over the Caribbean though...

Old 07-11-2016, 08:59 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
I saw an old Brazilian painting on YouTube? I think? It was of a black woman slave thanking God that her daughter had married a white man and that her grand daughter would be lighter than her...To be honest, I was INCENSED..
The sad bit is in 2016 the same thing is happening.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:26 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,100,336 times
Quote:

Your link shows a high rate of migration for Trinis....I find that curious though....you wouldn't think the Trini rate would be higher than JA

Old 07-11-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:

Anguilla 12.18
Antigua and Barbuda 2.21

Montserrat 0.00
Bahamas 0.00

Barbados -0.30
Dominican Republic -1.91
Saint Lucia -2.93
Grenada -3.13
Jamaica -4.66
Dominica -5.38
Guyana -8.06

Do you know why St K, Antigua, and Anguilla have net IMMIGRATION rates? Because loads of Dominicans are flocking there.

Now here is a reality. People from the English speaking Caribbean have been migrating since the 1840s when slavery ended. There is a tradition of emigration. They feel comfortable emigrating. When they emigrate they will almost certainly have networks of family and friends to ease their transition. Those migrating to the USA arrive speaking English and also having a high familiarity with the business culture.

So the higher patterns of emigration from the English speaking Caribbean is a CULTURAL phenomenon. I will say the same for Puerto Ricans, who need only jump on a plane as they are US citizens.

Dominicans do not have this tradition of migration, so fewer migrate. But we all know that the DR is tremendously dependent on remittances sent back by those who do. We also know that huge numbers of Dominicans have migrated.

What you need to focus on is that Dominicans migrate to Puerto Rico and the English speaking Caribbean. Puerto Ricans, Antiguans, and Trinidadians do NOT migrate to the DR. So if the DR is better off then why do these migration flows exist?

Please note that it isn't the educated Dominicans who migrate to these islands, where one might argue that they are starting businesses or filling gaps in professional or management niches.

Its poor people, many of them women, who are trying to eke out a living. They seem to think that they can better eke out a living in Nevis than they can in the DR.

And I can speak of St Kitts. Dominican workers demand far lower wages than do locals. Given that people don't migrate to be worse off, clearly even this lower wage that Dominicans will accept in St K is higher than what they earn in the DR. In St K the minimum wage is around US$3/hour and 70% of the population make more than that.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
. Illegal Dominicans are all over the Caribbean though...

Antonio wishes to suggest that lower rates of migration from the DR indicates higher living standards. Where he falls flat on his face is the fact that the only Caribbean people who migrate to the DR are Haitians.

Dominicans migrate every where else in the Caribbean, and when they do they are exploited as much as Haitians are. Within the Caribbean labor markets Haitians are at the bottom, with Dominicans above that, and then we have Jamaicans and Guyanese. Then we have some of the poorer Eastern Caribbean islands like Dominica and St Vincent. These are the cheap labor in the Caribbean.

Antonio would cry if he heard the contempt that Dominican are described in many of these Caribbean islands. Think of Mexicans in the USA, or Haitians in the DR.

Trinidadian and Barbadian movement within the Caribbean is almost exclusively confined to professional/management people who are simply on a temporary assignment, and certainly aren't there for a better life.

Aside from migrants to PR, Curacao and Aruba, Dominicans are migrating to islands where they are at a linguistic disadvantage, and so they are exploited. If the DR is so good, when compared to the rest of the Caribbean why do Dominicans set themselves up to be exploited. This being especially true for Dominican females, who are even been trafficked as far down as Guyana and Suriname.

Using Antonio's thinking the DR is poorer than South Sudan given that the latter has high rates of net immigration (why I can only wonder!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas