Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,908 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a last year MBA student in Utah and myself and a few fellow students would like to conduct an analysis on social issues in Cuba. We want to do a detailed root-cause analysis and a strong mapping of a potential issue at hand. We plan to visit end of December/beginning of January but we before we do we are trying to understand a little more. You guys seem to be experts on Cuba. Could you point me the right direction? What social issue do you think is most relevant? Could you send me any information you might have? If not who could I talk to?

Thanks for your help. We are really hoping to do some good but we need to understand much better.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 10:44 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,973,894 times
We're not doing your homework

Old 11-07-2016, 01:22 PM

14 posts, read 19,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanTuttle View Post
Hi, I am a last year MBA student in Utah and myself and a few fellow students would like to conduct an analysis on social issues in Cuba. We want to do a detailed root-cause analysis and a strong mapping of a potential issue at hand. We plan to visit end of December/beginning of January but we before we do we are trying to understand a little more. You guys seem to be experts on Cuba. Could you point me the right direction? What social issue do you think is most relevant? Could you send me any information you might have? If not who could I talk to?

Thanks for your help. We are really hoping to do some good but we need to understand much better.

Thanks again.
The biggest social issues in Cuba is the government. The communism government that doesn't want to go away and doesn't allow freedom in Cuba.

Cuba used to be a country that had a lot of rich people, especially in Havana. Then Fidel came along with his brother and in a few years he destroyed the economy of the country and nobody was rich anymore except for Fidel and his family. At least during some time the Soviet Union gave Cuba a lot of help, but when the Soviet Union fell to the ground, they stop helping Cuba and things got worse, a lot worse and Fidel stick to his high command even if people were starving.

Cuba had African slavery like America and we had a wonderful Chinese migration to Cuba. Yet, we don't have the same racial problems as in America. In Cuba everybody gets along, no matter race or religion. In those terms, we are a great society. But that society is getting rip apart by extreme poverty, the education is not the same and the idea that crime pays more than a job only grows with time because the government steals all the money and only pays a misery. The new generation of Cubans are lazy kids who wants to party and find a way (usually not legal) to make an easy living.

There is a lot of sex between minors and parents do nothing to teach them about sex problems. People has loss many principles that they used to have before Castro came to power.

I am not a religious person. But there are two majors religions in Cuba. One is Christianity and the other one are (Orisha or Santeria) better known as African religions. Both are very well practice in Cuba and many Cubans follow both.

Those are a few facts of Cuban society.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:06 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,831,521 times
Yeah let's ignore bautista

Old 01-25-2017, 12:50 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,543,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarbonellcuba View Post
. Yet, we don't have the same racial problems as in America.

Why did you forget to mention 1912 when thousands of blacks were slaughtered by the then government. Cuban blacks played a strong role in fighting for that nation's independence, only to be tossed aside once afterward. When they began to complain this was the result.

Cuba also had significant levels of racial segregation, so was not that different from the USA outside of the South.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:52 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,543,481 times
Bottom line is that there isn't much serious discussion of Cuba here. Just a few rants by the kids of wealthy exiles who want to pretend that Cuba was a paradise before 1959, and by others making excuses for Castro incompetence.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:17 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,330,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarbonellcuba View Post
The biggest social issues in Cuba is the government. The communism government that doesn't want to go away and doesn't allow freedom in Cuba.

Cuba used to be a country that had a lot of rich people, especially in Havana. Then Fidel came along with his brother and in a few years he destroyed the economy of the country and nobody was rich anymore except for Fidel and his family. At least during some time the Soviet Union gave Cuba a lot of help, but when the Soviet Union fell to the ground, they stop helping Cuba and things got worse, a lot worse and Fidel stick to his high command even if people were starving.

Cuba had African slavery like America and we had a wonderful Chinese migration to Cuba. Yet, we don't have the same racial problems as in America. In Cuba everybody gets along, no matter race or religion. In those terms, we are a great society. But that society is getting rip apart by extreme poverty, the education is not the same and the idea that crime pays more than a job only grows with time because the government steals all the money and only pays a misery. The new generation of Cubans are lazy kids who wants to party and find a way (usually not legal) to make an easy living.

There is a lot of sex between minors and parents do nothing to teach them about sex problems. People has loss many principles that they used to have before Castro came to power.

I am not a religious person. But there are two majors religions in Cuba. One is Christianity and the other one are (Orisha or Santeria) better known as African religions. Both are very well practice in Cuba and many Cubans follow both.

Those are a few facts of Cuban society.

The biggest social issue? Society, people have been manipulated and cut to pieces by gov't many times.
So many shifts and changes that people are out of reality, economy and "reforms" have been coming and going during 57 years, so people tienen la cabeza loca. Racism is worse than ever but among new class.
There's an incessant white flight in Havanna towards the west and inner areas and eastern black immigrants are now a massive invasion for areas in havanna with no facilities.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:05 AM

397 posts, read 319,886 times
It's stuck with a totalitarian Marxist government that makes very few of the necessary adjustments economically and socially. No freedom of speech and expression, freedom of assembly, no elections, extremely limited free market. The few free market jobs that exist there, mainly in the service industry, pay more than more important jobs such as being a doctor, which are stuck as poorly paid public sector jobs. It's basically proof positive that the free market works MUCH better than a centralized government economy. People there are given incentive to take tourism jobs rather than more productive jobs for society, plus there is unofficial racial discrimination in such jobs.

There's also an incentive for women to work as prostitutes even if they're highly educated and qualified because of the poor pay of public sector jobs and lack of private sector jobs outside of tourism. I'm not going to tell you that the previous dictator before Castro was a good guy or that there haven't been positive aspects of the revolution, but the country needs some serious reforms. Hell, even if they had remained totalitarian like China, but still made the necessary market reforms like China did, they would have been better off. I think there will continue to be minor reforms made there, but not nearly enough.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:37 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rose View Post
There's also an incentive for women to work as prostitutes even if they're highly educated and qualified because of the poor pay of public sector jobs and lack of private sector jobs outside of tourism.
I always wondered what would have happened if the U.S. hadn't cut off, and influenced almost every other country in the world, to equally cut off economic ties with Cuba.

When the world does sanctions/cuts-off-ties, you never really get to see how things *might* have worked.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:49 AM

345 posts, read 269,221 times
Cuban was the one that cut off relationships, and the government is not interested in resuming them. What for?
Cuba 5trades with most of the world, problem is that they don't pay.
US is the main economic partner, at least during the last 15 years. Food, Cuba buys 90 percent5 of foodstuffs from the US, the largest number of tourists are Cuban.Americans, most of the owners of the new economy, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas