Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 10:19 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
That might be the case the in the US, but in El Salvador and other neighboring countries it is not always so clear. For example in some countries you are only officially considered indigenous if you speak a native language. I know it is also like that in some Mexican states. So you can be full blooded Native, but you will not be recognized as such if you don't speak the language.

It has already been mentioned that El Salvador is a majority mestizo country, there is no question about that. When asked about indigenous people, Salvadoreans are quick to point out that they are not like Guatemalans, that you won't see women in traditional clothing or hear people speaking Native languages. That is true, but it still does exist in isolated communities in eastern El Salvador. I have seen it with my own eyes. It is rare but it does exist.
For the purposes of the census, if you are a full blooded indigenous person, but live as a regular Salvadorean citizen, does it really matter how they count you? I honestly don't think that in 2016 that there are many people anywhere in Latin America who are full blooded indigenous, except for those who are isolated or opt to isolate themselves. Even then, a couple of Mestizos or Spaniards getting quickies (or committing rape) at any point over the past few centuries would alter the gene pool. It's really a matter of semantics. By the same token, I doubt there many full blooded Spaniards left except for the newly arrived. It's just too easy for people to mix today in the Americas for there to many pure bloodlines left. (I don't mean that to be a negative, but just stating the fact).

Even in the US, most blacks have some European DNA and many whites also have some African DNA. Ultimately it comes down to which culture people identify with.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:15 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,399,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
For the purposes of the census, if you are a full blooded indigenous person, but live as a regular Salvadorean citizen, does it really matter how they count you?.
Well it matters to some Salvadoreans as their has been a push lately by indigenous groups for more recognition of their people and culture. They have been marginalized and invisible far too long.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas