Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 11:41 AM

58 posts, read 99,566 times

Advertisements

According to Wikipedia, El Salvador is 86% mestizo, 13% white, and 1% Amerindian. However, the government of El Salvador is starting to recognize its indigenous people and it's presumed that Amerindians actually make up 10% of the country. Is El Salvador as white as it claims to be?

Old 11-07-2016, 12:53 PM

14 posts, read 19,189 times
No, is not.

A lot of people write themselves white and they are Indians.

The racial census in any country is an utter joke and should not be taken into consideration. In many countries you have blacks and Indians writing themselves as white.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:01 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,435,057 times
Mixed people defining thenselves as black are commom place in USA too.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:16 PM

10,107 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
Mixed people defining thenselves as black are commom place in USA too.
Good point.

Also most people in the USA that claim to be Native Americans are mostly mixed too, but often with a predominant European ancestry. That's part of the reason why quantum requirements for acceptance into most Native American tribes is for having less than half Native American ancestry. I think some tribes requires just 1/8th Native American ancestry to be considered Native American. In Canada I hear the legal requirement is even less.

El Salvador is an overwhelmingly mestizo nation. I have met many Salvadorians and quite a few of them look white but identify as mestizo. Left me in shock quite a few times.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:43 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
Most Salvadoreans are mestizo. Very few Salvadoreans are pure white though there are probably more whites there than some might think. Native Salvadoreans are way under counted as in many other areas.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:48 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
I assume in a lot of Latin American countries the number of Amerindian people is undercounted because of the negative stigma related to being native

Old 11-07-2016, 06:51 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Good point.

Also most people in the USA that claim to be Native Americans are mostly mixed too, but often with a predominant European ancestry. That's part of the reason why quantum requirements for acceptance into most Native American tribes is for having less than half Native American ancestry. I think some tribes requires just 1/8th Native American ancestry to be considered Native American. In Canada I hear the legal requirement is even less.

El Salvador is an overwhelmingly mestizo nation. I have met many Salvadorians and quite a few of them look white but identify as mestizo. Left me in shock quite a few times.
In the US it is considered 'cool' to claim Native American heritage.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:12 AM

14 posts, read 19,189 times
No they are not. You have to understand that the term Indian was associated with a race that was considered inferior. The few whites that populated that country where the master, the high class and people with money. So, over time in those countries mestizos and Indians began to hate their own race.

Thus no wonder a lot of people claim to be white when in reality they are mestizo or Indian.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:13 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,051,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
In the US it is considered 'cool' to claim Native American heritage.
They also get freebies. See Elizabeth Warren.

Census counts are more accurate than you think. To dismiss them because some people answer inaccurately is a fool's game. For every person who identifies as something other than who they are, there is somebody else to balance it out. The numbers are accurate to within a percentage point or two.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:33 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post

Census counts are more accurate than you think. To dismiss them because some people answer inaccurately is a fool's game. For every person who identifies as something other than who they are, there is somebody else to balance it out. The numbers are accurate to within a percentage point or two.
That might be the case the in the US, but in El Salvador and other neighboring countries it is not always so clear. For example in some countries you are only officially considered indigenous if you speak a native language. I know it is also like that in some Mexican states. So you can be full blooded Native, but you will not be recognized as such if you don't speak the language.

It has already been mentioned that El Salvador is a majority mestizo country, there is no question about that. When asked about indigenous people, Salvadoreans are quick to point out that they are not like Guatemalans, that you won't see women in traditional clothing or hear people speaking Native languages. That is true, but it still does exist in isolated communities in eastern El Salvador. I have seen it with my own eyes. It is rare but it does exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas