Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 10:50 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,433,040 times

Advertisements

Not prolonging the nonsence stuff about Rio, Lima is usually not among the Top 5.

I found many different GDP calculations. Bogota, Brasilia, Lima and Santiago compete for the 5th place and different cities among them appear in different classifications. Not couting Miami, what makes it even more confusing. But Brasilia and Bogota are more commonly in the 5th position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 03:13 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,721,600 times
GDP is not everything and alterations are large in commodity-led economies where currencies fluctuate drastically. Differences between Nominal and PPP also contribute to this argument.

Monterrey, Mexico for example has a larger GDP than all the cities aforementioned. A lot more has to do with a city's development than just economy including health, housing, utilities, education and infrastructure. Obviously the economy pays for the rest but an annual based ranking does not indicate the aggregate economy over several years.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
GDP is not everything and alterations are large in commodity-led economies where currencies fluctuate drastically. Differences between Nominal and PPP also contribute to this argument.
Yes, but Buenos Aires is always on the 3rd and Rio is always on the 4th.
SP and MX trade according to the classification and the 5th varies more.

Quote:
Monterrey, Mexico for example has a larger GDP than all the cities aforementioned.
In no classification I've researched it was ranked above Brasilia or in the 5th position.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:08 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,721,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post

In no classification I've researched it was ranked above Brasilia or in the 5th position.
Many a time I've seen Monterrey ranked above Brasilia and on par with Rio's. It's economy is bigger especially now with the devalued real. In fact the devalued real may even have caused Rio to loose its 4th position but we'll have to wait and see till the IBGNE, INEGI and IMF figures are released later in the year. What I do know is that in 2015 Monterrey had a bigger economy than Brasilia and even Medellin surpassed Belo Horizonte.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:24 AM

127 posts, read 123,587 times
Mexico City
Sao Paulo
Buenos Aires

Old 02-19-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Many a time I've seen Monterrey ranked above Brasilia and on par with Rio's. It's economy is bigger especially now with the devalued real. In fact the devalued real may even have caused Rio to loose its 4th position but we'll have to wait and see till the IBGNE, INEGI and IMF figures are released later in the year. What I do know is that in 2015 Monterrey had a bigger economy than Brasilia and even Medellin surpassed Belo Horizonte.
You're mixing GDP with GDP per capita.
Anyway Brasilia has the highest GDP per capita too. Maybe Rio won't be in the 4th in 2015/2016 but replaced by those mentioned (Bogota, Santiago...)
Still didn't find any source online that gives to Monterrey all this strength, except in GDP per capita where it is above the large metropolises.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:28 AM

There are cities that might have less of an economy, but at the end of the day they are much more "CITIES" than many other cities that tend to be economic powers!

In the US you got Phoenix or Dallas, both come across as powerful economic engines always making it to the top 10 above other cities that are much more representative of the American city.

Boston is FAR more of a city than Phoenix which is more of a giant suburban sprawl.

Dallas is a spread out big town as opposed to San Francisco which is much more of an actual consolidated world city!!!

Florida's largest actual city is Jacksonville but let's be honest... Miami is by far Florida's real metropolis! Jacksonville is just a really big town!

That same phenomenon occurs in Latin America.

Brasilia is anything but a city. It feels fake, artificial.... When compared to an actual city like Medellin for example, it's obvious Brasilia is more a big rich town rather than a proper city! While Medellin feels urban, dense, energetic!

Monterrey Mexico is a really boring cowboy town. It even resembles Texan cities as it's really spread out, way too much for Mexican standards. Monterrey is like the Phoenix of Latin America. (Big massive spread out wealthy but it feels town like, provincial)

Medellin would be more like the Philadelphia of Latin America. Not as booming but it feels urban, dense, moving, eclectic.

Other cities like Porto Alegre in Brazil would be the Baltimore of Latin America. (urban, dense, historic, complex) , while Brasilia is like the Dallas of Latin America (spread out, culture less, artificial)

Last edited by marble-ky; 02-19-2017 at 10:38 AM..

Old 02-19-2017, 02:09 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,791,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marble-ky View Post
There are cities that might have less of an economy, but at the end of the day they are much more "CITIES" than many other cities that tend to be economic powers!

In the US you got Phoenix or Dallas, both come across as powerful economic engines always making it to the top 10 above other cities that are much more representative of the American city.

Boston is FAR more of a city than Phoenix which is more of a giant suburban sprawl.

Dallas is a spread out big town as opposed to San Francisco which is much more of an actual consolidated world city!!!

Florida's largest actual city is Jacksonville but let's be honest... Miami is by far Florida's real metropolis! Jacksonville is just a really big town!

That same phenomenon occurs in Latin America.

Brasilia is anything but a city. It feels fake, artificial.... When compared to an actual city like Medellin for example, it's obvious Brasilia is more a big rich town rather than a proper city! While Medellin feels urban, dense, energetic!

Monterrey Mexico is a really boring cowboy town. It even resembles Texan cities as it's really spread out, way too much for Mexican standards. Monterrey is like the Phoenix of Latin America. (Big massive spread out wealthy but it feels town like, provincial)

Medellin would be more like the Philadelphia of Latin America. Not as booming but it feels urban, dense, moving, eclectic.

Other cities like Porto Alegre in Brazil would be the Baltimore of Latin America. (urban, dense, historic, complex) , while Brasilia is like the Dallas of Latin America (spread out, culture less, artificial)
I can tell you've never been to Monterrey, anyone who calls it a 'boring cowboy town' has no idea what they are talking about.

Old 02-19-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I can tell you've never been to Monterrey, anyone who calls it a 'boring cowboy town' has no idea what they are talking about.
Northern mexico is depressing to me. So dusty, semi-arid, like a run down cheaper imitation of the US border towns which are also quite depressing. (You couldn't pay me to live in a place like Phoenix, El Paso, even Austin), and no you can't pay me to live in Durango, Chihuahua, Ciudad Juarez, Monterrey.

I prefer central Mexican cities like Guanajuato, Cuernavaca, Aguascalientes, to me they are much more interesting, much more alive!!!

I cannot do shopping malls and spread out suburbias with trucks everywhere like Texas, and that is how the cities that I've seen in Northern Mexico seem to be. (Sorry if I offend your sensitivities but it's just a personal preference)

Old 02-19-2017, 08:41 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,791,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marble-ky View Post
Northern mexico is depressing to me. So dusty, semi-arid, like a run down cheaper imitation of the US border towns which are also quite depressing. (You couldn't pay me to live in a place like Phoenix, El Paso, even Austin), and no you can't pay me to live in Durango, Chihuahua, Ciudad Juarez, Monterrey.

I prefer central Mexican cities like Guanajuato, Cuernavaca, Aguascalientes, to me they are much more interesting, much more alive!!!

I cannot do shopping malls and spread out suburbias with trucks everywhere like Texas, and that is how the cities that I've seen in Northern Mexico seem to be. (Sorry if I offend your sensitivities but it's just a personal preference)
You don't offend my sensitivities, I have no personal connection to Monterrey, but I have been there.

Monterrey isn't dusty, it also isn't like Texas, and it isn't even a 'border town.' You have to drive a few hours to get there from the border. Its a super clean, organized large city. It's actually a beautiful city.

This is a local park very popular for hiking, called Chipinque. Monterrey is quite mountaneous:

[url]https://youtu.be/kVMao3yzaw4[/url]

[url]https://youtu.be/A596e1MyWOA[/url]

Last edited by rosa surf; 02-19-2017 at 09:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas