Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 11:54 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,737,942 times

Advertisements

( Like the thread title ... I am practicing my Spanish !)

Bogota explosion: Many injured in blast near bullring - BBC News

Just as I was about to start booking stuff. Note to self ... don't book a room near the bullfighting place .

In my opinion you know people of a city are doing well when they have time to protest animal rights ( I am serious). In the hierarchy of rights to protest ... when you get to protesting animal rights it means the humans are doing pretty well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 10:02 PM

127 posts, read 124,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
( Like the thread title ... I am practicing my Spanish !)

Bogota explosion: Many injured in blast near bullring - BBC News

Just as I was about to start booking stuff. Note to self ... don't book a room near the bullfighting place .

In my opinion you know people of a city are doing well when they have time to protest animal rights ( I am serious). In the hierarchy of rights to protest ... when you get to protesting animal rights it means the humans are doing pretty well.
colombians complain about how hard they have it, but they go on holiday every christmas, they party til dawn when they can, and of course they love fashion!

if it wasn't for the developing infrastructure and the social inequality, colombia could hardly be called a third world country!

Old 02-22-2017, 05:04 AM

4,098 posts, read 3,738,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marble-ky View Post
colombians complain about how hard they have it, but they go on holiday every christmas, they party til dawn when they can, and of course they love fashion!
This is partially why Colombia is a third world country. They prioritise frivolous things but at least they're "happy"

As for the bullring area it's actually a pretty good strategic area. The Ibis is that vicinity and I always recommend it. Finally I don't get this violent "liberal" movement taking place around the world - it's only feeding idiots like Trump.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:09 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,013,034 times
Quote:

if it wasn't for the developing infrastructure and the social inequality, colombia could hardly be called a third world country!
You have massive social inequality in the US. How many people from the South Bronx go to Harvard?

Particularly when you deal with the professional world, you have massive socioeconomic and racial inequality.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:13 AM

127 posts, read 124,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
This is partially why Colombia is a third world country. They prioritise frivolous things but at least they're "happy"

As for the bullring area it's actually a pretty good strategic area. The Ibis is that vicinity and I always recommend it. Finally I don't get this violent "liberal" movement taking place around the world - it's only feeding idiots like Trump.
And what is not third world? working like a soulless robot 50 hours a week so that you can make tons of money you're too busy to enjoy because you're always working? (like it happens to people in the US or Germany for example)

I personally think Colombia is fantastic because of its culture.... easy, relax, no need to turn into a hysteric 21st century workaholic! That is Colombia's biggest charm, however the country is full of opportunities to make money, the problem is colombians have this (overseas is better mindset)

There are so many poor people in colombia who are poor not because they don't have opportunities to make their lives better, but because they work like slaves making a minimum salary, and then get loaded with kids they can't support!!!

I think Colombia's problem is that Colombians are not very exposed, most just know Colombia and then imagine countries like the US and Canada as perfect utopias where everything its so modern cars fly!!! So they rather dream about living abroad than staying home and taking advantage of the fact Colombia is a gold mine waiting to be exploited!

Old 02-22-2017, 08:43 AM

883 posts, read 926,412 times
People have always protested against bullfighting. I think it's very hypocritical. Most of these people wouldn't ever think of protesting against animal abuse in meat industry and related industries.

Quote:

the former doesn't have anything to do with the later. You can like fashion and work 10 hours day as an engineer. Creating the political and economical environment to develop the infrastructure of a country has nothing to do with individuals liking to party.

also the term "Third World" doesn't mean or explain anything since many decades ago.

Quote:
And what is not third world? working like a soulless robot 50 hours a week so that you can make tons of money you're too busy to enjoy because you're always working? (like it happens to people in the US or Germany for example)

I personally think Colombia is fantastic because of its culture.... easy, relax, no need to turn into a hysteric 21st century workaholic! That is Colombia's biggest charm, however the country is full of opportunities to make money, the problem is colombians have this (overseas is better mindset)

There are so many poor people in colombia who are poor not because they don't have opportunities to make their lives better, but because they work like slaves making a minimum salary, and then get loaded with kids they can't support!!!

I think Colombia's problem is that Colombians are not very exposed, most just know Colombia and then imagine countries like the US and Canada as perfect utopias where everything its so modern cars fly!!! So they rather dream about living abroad than staying home and taking advantage of the fact Colombia is a gold mine waiting to be exploited!
You are contradicting yourself a lot. You start saying that the country is full of opportunites, and then say in the next paragraph that "they don't have opportunities to make their lives better". You say that people is easy and relaxed and the opposite of a workaholic, and then say that they work like slaves for a minimum salary (and most Colombians do work many many hours for low wages).

Last edited by joacocanal; 02-22-2017 at 08:51 AM..

Old 02-22-2017, 10:07 AM

Default ......

Quote:

Semi-soulless robot speaking I currently work like around 65 hours a week... you can technically enjoy life too... but you just have to learn to live on very little sleep and modify standards for other things ex I am only home for dinner like once a week.

Also working lots of hours does not really mean you have money. There are lost of people that work as much or more then me and make way less money. There are also people that work less make make way more money. There is not direct relationship.

I think the work hours quality of ratio is a lot more complex then that.
I work a lot because I understand what happens when you don't have money and I am terrified of not having money. I want to always have enought money to live confortably. I dont think money is the only source of happiness at all... but I think especailly when you have other people depending on you ... the pressure to take this serious is much more real. As I explain to my child very frankly.... if I don't work ... we don't eat... you will have no where to sleep ...no clothes... no shoes ... this stuff does not come from the air. Also as a woman I think it is even more important to work as I have seen what happens to women who depend on men to take care of them and their children.

Also as someone who has work around 30-40 hours even when going to school full time as a teenager and through university I don't want anyone to assume "poor or low in come families have it easy" and in the time they are not working this is free time to have fun together. The kids may not notice but their parents are often getting stomach ulcers fearing about how they will be able to buy food, pay rent and bills etc.

I think it is a little silly to just assume people in any developing company are okay with just having what they have. Maybe they are relaxed because they have given up ... or because someone else is footing the bill for their life. For example my husband's brothers and sisters have a wonderful laid back life in a developing country. It is not just because of the culture ... it is because my father-in-law busted in butt until he died building businesses, wealth and saving money which is lazy kids in-herted once he died. I can stay the same for people in my family in Trinidad too. Venture in to the poor poverity stricten areas of a developing country and you are going to see a whole different situation. You get your car windshield smashed by someone looking for a dollar.

In my opinion it is also a lot easier to move up in life in terms of income and social status in some places like Canada and the USA vs many of places in the Americas.

So in my books ... this seems to be spreading dilusions of how easy it is to have less. I would easily argue that a poor person in Canada has it a lot better off then in a developing country is most places in the world due to things like free health care. In certain developing countries and even the USA from what I have heard.... if you dont have money to pay for care when you are sick you as good as dead. Just because someone if sitting around drinking coffee at 4 pm does not mean they have an easy life.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:10 AM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You have massive social inequality in the US. How many people from the South Bronx go to Harvard?

Particularly when you deal with the professional world, you have massive socioeconomic and racial inequality.

Most countries has significant some levels of social inequality. In my opinion the different between the USA and Canada in this respect is that if you are poor in Canada you are less likely to die if you get sick.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:11 AM

Default ......

Quote:

Theres is strength in fusion ... both places could benefit from interactions with each other as there are pros and cons of both different places.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:22 AM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
People have always protested against bullfighting. I think it's very hypocritical. Most of these people wouldn't ever think of protesting against animal abuse in meat industry and related industries.

the former doesn't have anything to do with the later. You can like fashion and work 10 hours day as an engineer. Creating the political and economical environment to develop the infrastructure of a country has nothing to do with individuals liking to party.

also the term "Third World" doesn't mean or explain anything since many decades ago.

You are contradicting yourself a lot. You start saying that the country is full of opportunites, and then say in the next paragraph that "they don't have opportunities to make their lives better". You say that people is easy and relaxed and the opposite of a workaholic, and then say that they work like slaves for a minimum salary (and most Colombians do work many many hours for low wages).

Was the bombing really related to the bullfighting or was it just an easy way to target a police attact? This is the part that confuses me. It only takes one person to pull off something like this anywhere. Blowing stuff up to protect the rights of bulls is a bit nuts. I support people's rights to protest and boycott .... but blowing up something . I know stuff like that use to happen in the 60s in North America... but I don't know about you guys ... but I am not ever going to be willing to die or kill someone to save an animal. Sorry ... I value my life just a little too much. If it got to that level ... let the bulls fend for themselves.... survival of the fittest. This situation just somes not seem to add up. Why would animal activist blow up something around the time of a protest that would likely injury people that were supporting animal rights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas