Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 11:35 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Outside of the US, most countries aren't so obsessed with this BS.
Yes. People at the most would call people want they look. While the concept of mestizaje is a part of Mexican culture, they don't walk around calling themselves mestizos. They would just say their Mexican. The labels as applied by the OP are broad American generalizations in books written by Americans long ago and do not reflect reality on the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 02:47 PM

186 posts, read 128,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes. People at the most would call people want they look. While the concept of mestizaje is a part of Mexican culture, they don't walk around calling themselves mestizos. They would just say their Mexican. The labels as applied by the OP are broad American generalizations in books written by Americans long ago and do not reflect reality on the ground.
mexican is only a nationality, it means nothing, ancestry testing tells what racial groups people are made up with because people want to know the specifics

Old 04-01-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerInstinct View Post
mexican is only a nationality, it means nothing, ancestry testing tells what racial groups people are made up with because people want to know the specifics
And I'm telling you Latin Americans do not call themselves by ancestry. They go by appearance or nationality. The majority of people in Mexico have similar racial heritages, so they are not going to themselves any of the names you just described typically.

It's obvious you aren't around Latinos and have never been to Latin America!

Old 04-02-2017, 06:04 PM

186 posts, read 128,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And I'm telling you Latin Americans do not call themselves by ancestry. They go by appearance or nationality. The majority of people in Mexico have similar racial heritages, so they are not going to themselves any of the names you just described typically.

It's obvious you aren't around Latinos and have never been to Latin America!
Actually they do and I am hispanic and live in an area with many different hispanic nationalities, I've hear people of my country refer to themselves mestizos and even go further to call themselves Pipils since thats the indigenous group that dominated before Spain invaded. I hear dominicans call each other mulatto all the time, so what are you talking about?

Old 04-02-2017, 06:08 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Outside of the US, most countries aren't so obsessed with this BS.
For real. This is just European-based bull**** in the age of colonialism

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 04-02-2017 at 07:29 PM..

Old 04-02-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerInstinct View Post
Actually they do and I am hispanic and live in an area with many different hispanic nationalities, I've hear people of my country refer to themselves mestizos and even go further to call themselves Pipils since thats the indigenous group that dominated before Spain invaded. I hear dominicans call each other mulatto all the time, so what are you talking about?
I'm not convinced. Everything you just said sounds like you read an encyclopedia written in the 70s. Dominicans typically would call a brown skinned Dominican moreno. Not mulatto.

I doubt anyone calls someone a mulatto or mestizo because what do they look like? People describe themselves by appearance and by nationality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas