Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2018, 08:36 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,036,005 times

Advertisements

Happy New Year everyone, unfortunately last year we had to cancel a flight via Avianca Airlines & our flight voucher runs out March 16, 2018. We have to book with Expedia. I know Avianca is based in Colombia & I was heavily considering Cartagena but Spring Break only 10 days, I was thinking maybe just somewhere in the States. Any advice? At least one leg of the flight needs to be on Avianca...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 04:38 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,737,299 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Happy New Year everyone, unfortunately last year we had to cancel a flight via Avianca Airlines & our flight voucher runs out March 16, 2018. We have to book with Expedia. I know Avianca is based in Colombia & I was heavily considering Cartagena but Spring Break only 10 days, I was thinking maybe just somewhere in the States. Any advice? At least one leg of the flight needs to be on Avianca...
Not really sure what you are asking?
Are you deciding between visiting Colombia or the USA?
Last year we did 5 days in Bogota and 5 days in Cartagena. It was good.
Both countries have lots to see and do it always depends on what you want to do.
I really liked Cartagena, but 10 days would be a lot.
Also your budget is key.
Also where are you coming from?
Going to America means nothing. America has so many different States and where you go can offer totally different experiences. If you are North it will be still cold. If you are south it will be warm... but lots of being travel to certain parts of the USA for Spring Break so prices can be a lot higher ... even double in some areas. You need to decided soon for the best prices.
Also Cali Ocho in Miami happens in March as well. Great event.
Most major American Cities have a lot to do, but you need to decide what you feel like doing when on vaction.

If you decide on going to Colombia dont spend 10 days in Cartagena. Flying between cities in Colombia is pretty reasonable. The airports that I went to where clean and really good. Well organized. I no complaints at all. Cartagena is also pretty safe in my opinion. I have no issues at all walking around alone with my daughter or with my daughter and husband. Nice shopping. Nice beaches. Nice places to eat.

If you have never been to Colombia I would suggest going to Colombia rather then the USA. You will get more value for your money and a more unique experience. The USA had lots to offer.... but 10 days in Colombia seems much more interesting to me.

On another though ... why can't you do both.

For example ....

Your starting point to Bogota for 3 days... Bogota Cartagena for 3 days and Orlando, Miami or Fort Lauderdale for days ( please note Fortlaudle Dale and Miama are like a hour drive from each other).

In Bogota you get the city/ museme type experience
In Cartagena you get Romantic Relaxing Beach type experience
In Miami or Fort Lauderale you are getting classing American Beach Party Culture.
If you choose Orlando you get Disney stuff.
Both these places in the USA have amazing outlet malls. If you do end up going there I will give you all my tips !

Calle Ocho is Sunday, March 11 in 2018. If you are in Florida and miss this even that would suck.
It is basically the best day long free concert ever! If you do go to this event you need to book your hotel as soon as possible as the hotels prices can get really high or be sold out fast.

Last edited by klmrocks; 01-02-2018 at 04:46 PM..

Old 01-03-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Not really sure what you are asking?
Are you deciding between visiting Colombia or the USA?
Last year we did 5 days in Bogota and 5 days in Cartagena. It was good.
Both countries have lots to see and do it always depends on what you want to do.
I really liked Cartagena, but 10 days would be a lot.
Also your budget is key.
Also where are you coming from?
Going to America means nothing. America has so many different States and where you go can offer totally different experiences. If you are North it will be still cold. If you are south it will be warm... but lots of being travel to certain parts of the USA for Spring Break so prices can be a lot higher ... even double in some areas. You need to decided soon for the best prices.
Also Cali Ocho in Miami happens in March as well. Great event.
Most major American Cities have a lot to do, but you need to decide what you feel like doing when on vaction.

If you decide on going to Colombia dont spend 10 days in Cartagena. Flying between cities in Colombia is pretty reasonable. The airports that I went to where clean and really good. Well organized. I no complaints at all. Cartagena is also pretty safe in my opinion. I have no issues at all walking around alone with my daughter or with my daughter and husband. Nice shopping. Nice beaches. Nice places to eat.

If you have never been to Colombia I would suggest going to Colombia rather then the USA. You will get more value for your money and a more unique experience. The USA had lots to offer.... but 10 days in Colombia seems much more interesting to me.

On another though ... why can't you do both.

For example ....

Your starting point to Bogota for 3 days... Bogota Cartagena for 3 days and Orlando, Miami or Fort Lauderdale for days ( please note Fortlaudle Dale and Miama are like a hour drive from each other).

In Bogota you get the city/ museme type experience
In Cartagena you get Romantic Relaxing Beach type experience
In Miami or Fort Lauderale you are getting classing American Beach Party Culture.
If you choose Orlando you get Disney stuff.
Both these places in the USA have amazing outlet malls. If you do end up going there I will give you all my tips !

Calle Ocho is Sunday, March 11 in 2018. If you are in Florida and miss this even that would suck.
It is basically the best day long free concert ever! If you do go to this event you need to book your hotel as soon as possible as the hotels prices can get really high or be sold out fast.
Hello, yes my husband and I live in the States, I'm Cuban-American and he is from Spain, haha yes Calle 8 on a Sunday in Miami would be pretty quiet. I am a bilingual teacher but my Spring Break is only 10 days, we would be flying in from Houston...I guess what I was trying to say is if it is a wise decision to go to Cartagena, Colombia for a few days (4/5) or to go somewhere else...

Old 01-04-2018, 09:01 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,737,299 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Hello, yes my husband and I live in the States, I'm Cuban-American and he is from Spain, haha yes Calle 8 on a Sunday in Miami would be pretty quiet. I am a bilingual teacher but my Spring Break is only 10 days, we would be flying in from Houston...I guess what I was trying to say is if it is a wise decision to go to Cartagena, Colombia for a few days (4/5) or to go somewhere else...
You live in the USA.
That changes everything.
Now my question is why would you want to stay in the USA on vacation when you could go to Cartagena ? It likely would even cost just a much. Also can't you fly to a whole bunch of places in Central and South America with this Airline?

Old 01-06-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
You live in the USA.
That changes everything.
Now my question is why would you want to stay in the USA on vacation when you could go to Cartagena ? It likely would even cost just a much. Also can't you fly to a whole bunch of places in Central and South America with this Airline?
Sorry, I don't know if I mentioned but I'm a teacher & my husband is in healthcare, so we have a limited # of days for vacation in March when voucher expires. I would love to go to South or Central America but I would rather go with more time....

Old 01-07-2018, 10:03 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,737,855 times
4-5 days is more than enough for Cartagena, I would even say 3 days is enough. What are you after city break, mountains or beach time?

I definitely suggest going outside the US if you have a chance, also the distances aren't that great. Are you flying from Houston? You could go via El Salvador with Avianca to Bogota and Medellin. Not sure how the voucher works but there are no direct flights to Colombia from Houston but El Salvador is a mini hub that does serve Houston and from there you can continue to:

Cancún, Los Angeles, Quito, Toronto–Pearson, Belize City, Bogotá, Cali, Chicago–O'Hare, Dallas/Fort Worth, Guatemala City, Guayaquil, Havana, Liberia, Lima, Los Angeles, Managua, Medellín–JMC, Mexico City, Miami, Newark, New York–JFK, Panama City, San Francisco, San José (CR), San Pedro Sula, Tegucigalpa, Washington–Dulles, Managua and Roatán on Avianca

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 01-07-2018 at 10:11 AM..

Old 01-07-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
4-5 days is more than enough for Cartagena, I would even say 3 days is enough. What are you after city break, mountains or beach time?

I definitely suggest going outside the US if you have a chance, also the distances aren't that great. Are you flying from Houston? You could go via El Salvador with Avianca to Bogota and Medellin. Not sure how the voucher works but there are no direct flights to Colombia from Houston but El Salvador is a mini hub that does serve Houston and from there you can continue to:

Cancún, Los Angeles, Quito, Toronto–Pearson, Belize City, Bogotá, Cali, Chicago–O'Hare, Dallas/Fort Worth, Guatemala City, Guayaquil, Havana, Liberia, Lima, Los Angeles, Managua, Medellín–JMC, Mexico City, Miami, Newark, New York–JFK, Panama City, San Francisco, San José (CR), San Pedro Sula, Tegucigalpa, Washington–Dulles, Managua and Roatán on Avianca
Excellent ideas, I appreciate this post!

Old 01-12-2018, 06:21 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,221,386 times
Medellin is a major air hub, and one of the nicest cities in Latin America. Just go there and hang out with friendly and welcoming and proud Colombians.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Medellin is a major air hub, and one of the nicest cities in Latin America. Just go there and hang out with friendly and welcoming and proud Colombians.
My cousin was in Medellin in September for a friend's wedding and loved it! Thanks for the recommendation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas