Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:05 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times

Advertisements

This is one of the better articles written by Dallas Morning News about the massive exodus of black students from the DISD into Charter and suburban school districts. The number of Black enrolled students in the DISD is at its lowest point since 1965. Blacks make up only 26% of school district compared to Hispanics making up 68% of the school districts. In the 1980's and 1990's blacks made up the majority in the district.

Adelfa Callejo, a Latina civil rights activist, said it's like history repeating itself.
"They're doing exactly what the whites are doing, abandoning the school district," Callejo said. "That will leave us with a lack of black leadership. You need leaders of all races to make it happen."
Specifically, black parents most often mentioned the following reasons:
•The perception that Dallas ISD schools offer an inferior education compared with suburban schools, and that the school system is too big and impersonal.
•As Dallas ISD educates a growing number of Hispanic students, many of whom are poor and learning English, some black parents say the district no longer focuses on their children.
•The desire of middle-class blacks to live in bigger, newer, more comfortable homes in the suburbs, away from big-city crime and congestion.
•A growing number of charter schools, which are public schools run by private groups.
•Many of Dallas' traditionally black neighborhoods are aging, and young Hispanic families are moving in to replace them and having children.

Many black parents are concerned about the attention and money spent bringing native Spanish-speakers up to speed. Some say their children are ignored.
"Nothing is geared towards us; it's all geared towards the Hispanics," said Shirley Daniels, spokeswoman for the Black Coalition to Maximize Education, a civil rights group and plaintiff in DISD's federal desegregation case, which lasted from 1970 to 2003.

'Black flight' changing the makeup of Dallas schools | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 12:12 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
well if black families can afford to move to larger, newer more expensive homes
more power to them...

but sour grapes comments do not win much sympathy from me
it is about teaching kids who are most at risk...
whites "suffered" when blacks were the focus group--
now it seems that blacks are in the same positiion--they are no longer the group most at risk--

my mainly Anglo neighborhoods in Bedford are going the the same dynamics and having more ethnic families move in and either buy or rent homes in neighborhoods that were once all white
just the wave of the future...

Old 06-28-2010, 01:06 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Not sour grapes just the facts - some of the black families are choosing charter schools which aren't ranked as well as the schools they left...

Old 06-28-2010, 06:57 PM

6,818 posts, read 14,029,650 times
I would love to live in the city of Dallas but were can I find a decent home for $130k. The city of Dallas itself is made up of upper middle class and wealthy or poor. There is no middle class at all unless you count those folks who are retired. Years ago the City of Dallas was going to require it's employees to live in the city limits. Sounded like a good idea until someone ask were should we live on a middle class income. I would love to live inside the city but I either can't afford it or would live in fear.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:37 PM

79 posts, read 182,398 times
It is just life in general this has happened since there was a mass exit of the jews from egypt (joking). It is natural for a group of people to try to move away from areas that they think are problems. The group that has the money will move and those that don't cannot.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:56 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Not sour grapes just the facts - some of the black families are choosing charter schools which aren't ranked as well as the schools they left...
lack of educating ones self, due dilligence, and doing their homework concerning the facts about charter schools. for many charter schools have that "designer" cache to them.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:46 PM

611 posts, read 2,234,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
lack of educating ones self, due dilligence, and doing their homework concerning the facts about charter schools. for many charter schools have that "designer" cache to them.
maybe they are just racist against Hispanics

Old 08-05-2011, 07:13 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,441,302 times
As much as we all tend to paint the suburbs as havens of white supremacists, the fact is that in today's society, it's all about economic elitism, not racial anymore. I go to a predominantly black church in Allen, and the church is comprised mainly of middle to upper class professional white collar blacks who reside primarily in Allen, McKinney, Plano, and Frisco. I've been at the church for over 2 years and met tons of people there, and so far I have not yet met one person who's on section 8, welfare, or anything else that we associate with "lazy, leeching welfare bums"...they are all out there chasing the American Dream, a nice affordable house in a secure environment in which to live and raise their families.

It's deeply ironic when I see certain snobby Collin County residents race baiting and everything else...what they dont realize is that they are more similar to those black church members I know than they may care to realize.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:30 PM

358 posts, read 1,075,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I'm not sure why they would make that choice. That seems like a step backwards to me. JMO

Old 08-05-2011, 08:55 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,392,947 times
Does living inside of Dallas (in UP) count as keeping it real?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas