Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2020, 10:25 AM

10,136 posts, read 15,018,984 times

Advertisements

Brazil also has the largest Japanese and Japanese-descendant people in the world outside of Japan. I thought that was cool once I heard about it.

Old 04-02-2020, 01:00 PM

1,001 posts, read 884,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Brazil also has the largest Japanese and Japanese-descendant people in the world outside of Japan. I thought that was cool once I heard about it.
and Brasil has more lebanese and brazilian-lebanese of close lebanese descendant than Lebanon has lebanese people living there (7 millions). Last brazilian president Michel Temer is lebanese son holding lebanese passport.
Brazil is also the country with more Italian descendant in the world, more than Argentina or USA in total numbers, and second with more germans behind USA.

Old 04-02-2020, 01:18 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,420,498 times
Do Japanese have their own enclaves in Brazil? Or do they live pretty mixed among everyone else?

What about Chinese? Is there a significant Chinese community in Brazil?

Old 04-02-2020, 04:49 PM

1,001 posts, read 884,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Do Japanese have their own enclaves in Brazil? Or do they live pretty mixed among everyone else?

What about Chinese? Is there a significant Chinese community in Brazil?
Japanese in Brazil live mixed they are 10% of São Paulo city people alghtough they most married between them until this generation the new generation in theirs 20 or 30, all my friends at least, are marring brazilians of others backgrounds. Chineses are new immigrants first and second generation... Japaneses started getting here in 1908 togheter the europeans. 250.000 families many people for that time. There are much more koreans in Brazil than chineses, koreans arrived a lot between 1960 and 1970

Old 04-02-2020, 06:49 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,420,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Japanese in Brazil live mixed they are 10% of São Paulo city
Thats actually pretty big percentage for such a big city.

I hope to visit Sao Paulo someday.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:51 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,734,987 times
Salvador was the first capital of Brazil and capital for over 200 years much longer than your current capital. Also when the capital moved to Rio, a lot of the culture went with it which is why there's a lot of kinship between Bahiano-Carioca culture. Therefore Brazilian power has been concentrated in strongly Afro-influenced regions of the country for over 400 years, which will undoubtedly influence the national stereotype abroad. Capoeira, Pele, Ronaldo and even Ronaldinho were cultural exports way before Sertanejo Universitario or Gisele even made a dent in the international psyche. The west African cultural pillar is a far older and established part of the Brazilian identity and will continue to be so until the other communities kick their behind into gear and start exporting their culture as Peru has done, creating the world's top cuisine via its Chinese/Japanese influence or stars like Shakira (with Lebanese heritage) having 5 songs on the global best sellers list of all time and the 5th most viewed musical artist on YouTube. It's up-to the people in the country on the most part, the media outside plays second fiddle especially nowadays in the Digital age.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:10 PM

399 posts, read 821,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjnorl_ View Post
Many things in Brazil are not from African Origin. For example capoeira is a creation of black Brazilians. Capoeira is not from " África". Is a creation of black Brazilians. And many things in Brazil are not from "Africa".
Because slaves like feijoada ( European dish) ---- is african.
Because black Brazilians dancing in Carnival. -- Carnival is african ( lie Carnival is not African!)
Because black Brazilians invented capoeira ---- is african.
Because black Brazilians invented candomblé - candomblé is African ( candomblé is not African).
Media: Brazil the country with most strong african influence in the wooooorld. Afrocentrics say black Brazilians " culture" is African. Because is more exotic for tourism " Brazil african slogan"
That's not exactly true. This Afro martial art was already performed in the kingdom of Kongo (present-day Angola and Congo). Slaves from this region brought it in Brazil. They also brought it in Cuba where it's named Juego de maní and in Trinidad & Tobago where it's named Calinda.

Old 04-04-2020, 05:13 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,188,615 times
Quote:
Whatever. Carnival are not from African origin. Many things in Brazil also. African influence in Brazil are so exaggerated for Brazilian and foreigner media. But.. If you never seen a Brazilian person. If you don't nothing about Brazil. For example If you never seen a Brazilian person in your life. And you see these videos ( foreigners videos in Brazil) . What is the image for you? About Brazil racial demography?

https://youtu.be/UQ6LGrr8iEg
https://youtu.be/hDZBQKwfImA
https://youtu.be/r_o8zEGhaF8
Stop arguing just to argue. Everyone knows Brazil has a mixture of peoples. Everyone knows that Carnival is original European and now has African, Amerindian and other influences.

It seems like you’re just angry because now African influence in Brazil is getting significant attention. Guess what? Both European and African influences are significant in Brazil.

Old 04-04-2020, 05:56 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,734,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Stop arguing just to argue. Everyone knows Brazil has a mixture of peoples. Everyone knows that Carnival is original European and now has African, Amerindian and other influences.

It seems like you’re just angry because now African influence in Brazil is getting significant attention. Guess what? Both European and African influences are significant in Brazil.
It's the typical Southern European complex, also found in wider Sao Paulo (Caipiras) and parts of Minas Gerais, even interior parts of Bahia. You wouldn't believe the amount of Brazilians I know that I hear this same discourse from here in the UK, it's a constant thing. I had a lodger who first time I met him said he was Italian and part German. When he asked me where I was from I told him I was of Colombian heritage after that he said, "oh I was born in Brazil" as I gave him some soursop juice (graviola). Turns out it was his grandparents that were from Italy and great grandmother from Germany. 2 weeks with my Colombian family and he suddenly warmed to the idea of embracing a wider Brazilian and Latin American identity. Identity politics is a funny thing but I'm glad we can bring a bit of identity security to such people. He's now a really close friend and calls us his family here in the UK (he lives here alone now, in another city but visits often).

Anyone whose seen the the movie, 'Pelé: Birth of a Legend' and has met a substantial amount of Brazilians will most likely have come accross a lot of people like Mazzola, lauding their European heritage and holding contempt for their Afro/Pardo-Brazilian compatriots and there-in their Brazilian identity also in some cases.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:52 PM

399 posts, read 821,797 times
Quote:
Ok. You are angry because don't admit that i'm right. I'm right these videos prove it. But ok. I respect you opinion. I'm not angry i'm just say the truth. Say these videos. where is the lie? I'm just asking why when foreigners recording videos/documentaries in Brazil only shows black Brazilians? Why don't invite all Brazilians races? Or talking about others Brazilian culture? Is a legit question. Multirracial mean many races ( and culture) right? Asian culture, indigenous culture, arab culture, European culture, etc.. the documentaries about Brazil culture is always and only African culture.

https://youtu.be/-wWpQ2z6RrM
https://youtu.be/Y7DGH9t6fCo
https://youtu.be/ihpydxKI4LM
The links you posted only emphasize Afro-Brazilians. I can show you documentaries on other ethnicities in Brazil too. Most documentaries about Brazil are focus on criminality, mostly in the favelas and you find most pardos/black people there, it's not their fault. About Candomble, I agree some documentaires make it like it's a large part of the population that adheres it when in fact not, but there's this fascination that African slaves retained some traditions and were able to have their own religion after all they've been through. It's not the case in USA for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.