Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2020, 11:54 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripmyheart View Post
American, British media and Al jazeera has always tried to make Brazil look like a African country. When Whenever I watch the news they only show the Black Brazilians. Especially when I watch CNN they never mentioned that their was White Brazilians, Brown Brazilians, Indigenous Brazilians, Arab Brazilians, Japanese Brazilians, Korean Brazilians, etc...

American media shows absolute no interest in African Brazilians, you will almost never hear much about Brazil in general let alone hear anything about one of their racial sub groups.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:24 AM

399 posts, read 819,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samishiba View Post
Like Nigerians who don't translate portuguese and say yorubá is the second official language in Brazil. When we say is a cultural patrimony. The most incredible is that many Nigerians believe in that. After many weeks Nigeria getting apologize and say cultural patrimony not official language. Facepalm
Again some comments you read on Youtube I suppose. Nigeria is a big country with 200 millions people, I bet most of the habitants don't know Yoruba is spoken in Candomblé ceremonies so don't generalize.

Quote:
Yes ok. Brazil have the largest "african descent" population. African descent don't mean you are black. Because many white Brazilians for example have african genes. Many adxmitures and interracial marriages etc. African descent and "the largeeest black nation" is diferent. But when corrupt politics are desesperate for money say anything.
Brazil former president who say that "the largest Black nation in the world outside Nigeria " with supporters ( majority african Brazilians).

Former President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva said on Thursday (5) that "the great legacy" left by South African leader Nelson Mandela was to make the black people of South Africa discover that they were in the majority.
"Something that seems simple, but it is not simple. That if the majority of the people were black, it did not make any sense for the white minority to continue to rule the country," said the former president, during a speech to workers at a high school. Diadem. "People have discovered themselves as a driving force capable of involving society," he added. Brazil is a country of African colonization not Portuguese.( By Lula).
You seem more angry at President Lula's comments than anything else, so why do you take it on Americans and Blacks especially ?

Old 05-18-2020, 10:13 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Quote:
Yes ok. Brazil have the largest "african descent" population. African descent don't mean you are black. Because many white Brazilians for example have african genes. Many adxmitures and interracial marriages etc. African descent and "the largeeest black nation" is diferent. But when corrupt politics are desesperate for money say anything.
Brazil former president who say that "the largest Black nation in the world outside Nigeria " with supporters ( majority african Brazilians).

Former President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva said on Thursday (5) that "the great legacy" left by South African leader Nelson Mandela was to make the black people of South Africa discover that they were in the majority.
"Something that seems simple, but it is not simple. That if the majority of the people were black, it did not make any sense for the white minority to continue to rule the country," said the former president, during a speech to workers at a high school. Diadem. "People have discovered themselves as a driving force capable of involving society," he added. Brazil is a country of African colonization not Portuguese.( By Lula).
Go back and read my post. That’s exactly what I said. It seems like you are talking just to talk at this point. As stated, everyone knows that Brazil is a mixed country.

Old 05-19-2020, 09:11 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Quote:
I'm not angry. I don't have nothing against Americans, black americans or brazilian african heritage. I only say that: When i see documentaries about Brazil ( a few documentaries about Brazil) is only about "african heritage" in Brazil (Salvador/Rio de Janeiro). Maybe my observation is wrong. Ok?
Or all videoclips ( few) in Brazil is only in Salvador/Rio de Janeiro. If today Justin Timberlake making a video in Brazil. Probably in Brazilians slums, or with beautiful mulattas in the beach or in Salvador with afro brazilian group Olodum or Rio de Janeiro.
Yes, your observation is wrong.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:23 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,242,785 times
Quote:
I'm not angry. I don't have nothing against Americans, black americans or brazilian african heritage. I only say that: When i see documentaries about Brazil ( a few documentaries about Brazil) is only about "african heritage" in Brazil (Salvador/Rio de Janeiro). Maybe my observation is wrong. Ok?
Or all videoclips ( few) in Brazil is only in Salvador/Rio de Janeiro. If today Justin Timberlake making a video in Brazil. Probably in Brazilians slums, or with beautiful mulattas in the beach or in Salvador with afro brazilian group Olodum or Rio de Janeiro.
Your observation is CATEGORICALLY wrong. You seek out any media portraying Afro Brasileiros and skw it to fit the narrative you are creating.

Old 05-27-2020, 10:48 AM

255 posts, read 565,274 times
Didn't read the whole thread because it is potential brain damage but the most famous cultural export of Brazil is the football (soccer) team which is mostly and has been historically black.

If you asked most people around the world to name a famous Brazilian - they would probably name a footballer and more than likely he would be black.

A lot of Brazilian cultural exports are based around African origins - music, food, dance, carnival, capoeria etc - so, not surprising.

However, if you live in Brazil and watch the TV and see the adverts and who's running the country - you see plenty of white Brazilians - no-one is hiding them and certainly not if you actually live there.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:29 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Please provide proof that afro-americans are "racist" You and AntonioR both have obtuse POV's in regards to your stance towards afro-americans. The sexualization of Brazileiras is and has always been perpetuated by europeans. Thats very well known as it pertains to craxking down on sex tourism especially as it pertains to children in Brazil.

Do you believe that there is a such thing as the African Diaspora?

You cant create a false narrative and try to have it both ways.
This man will probably think that the protests currently going on in the USA about racist police treatment of blacks is racist. Any discussion around attempts to end discrimination is racist in his eyes.

He will prefer Brazil where such conversation is more muted, even though police killings of blacks are likely even more prevalent.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Huh? I never heard that.

American media doesn't really pay much attention to South America at all, to be honest.
All we hear about Brazil is that its run by a mad president and over run with Covid 19. The faces that we see are mainly light skinned people.

Some prefer that Brazil hides its blacks because they still see this as an embarrassment.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Ok my question was more about documentaries of foreigner media about Brazil ( few documentaries in foreigner media about Brazil). BBC, Al Jazeera and CNN. The majority of them are in Salvador. And the majority of few videoclips recording in Brazil is in Salvador/Rio de Janeiro. Is not a problem shows Salvador or Rio de Janeiro. My question was: why only Salvador and Rio de Janeiro.I'm not angry like many users say. I only ask.

Michael Jackson videoclip in Brazil - Salvador
https://youtu.be/QNJL6nfu__Q
Vengaboys videoclip in Brazil - Salvador ( Bahia state)
https://youtu.be/UQ6LGrr8iEg
Adelen videoclip in Brazil - slums of Rio de Janeiro
https://youtu.be/hkYomdjLkAk
Paul Simmons videoclip in Brazil - Salvador
https://youtu.be/9HKNAhAxMAk
Mark Views in Brazil - favelas of Rio de Janeiro
https://youtu.be/WUlCDLzoBcA
Foreigner documentaries: Salvador the most African city, Brazil African heritage, Being teenager in Brazil favelas, Being muslim in Brazil favelas, etc... Salvador, Salvador, Rio de Janeiro.
The dynamic music of Brazil is in the favelas. The rest of you listen to rock.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
It’s self-absorbed. African-Americans hardly talk about Brazil like that nowadays. Not that people don’t visit but Brazil had its time in the spotlight and people have moved on. Most African-Americans I know are far more interested in traveling through Africa and Asia. Of course, AAs frequent the Caribbean. It’s sort of normal now.
Those obsessed with Latin nations with Afro influences now go to the DR. Its 1/3 of the flight time. Rio has a bad rap, and Salvador is for the truly committed as there is limited direct service out of the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas