Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2020, 07:55 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,035,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samishiba View Post
The media of rich countries don't pay much attention to twird world countries. Generally only shows our slums of poverty. Many whites enjoy travel for slums or horrible places. In Brazil the videos are only in the slums of Rio de janeiro. Because my ridiculous country export the stereotype ( slums the image of Brazil) For example favela tour in Rio de janeiro. Videoclips in slums ( like Michael Jackson). Maybe some ( not all. Not all. some) people getting the impression Brazilians are most dark/black or mulatoes because a few images of Brazil in mainstream media is favelas and carnival with beautiful mulattas. Only a "coincidence". I know, i know not all foreigners think that. Only foreigners who only know Brazil for slums, soccer, and carnival. Not all ok?
I know this thread will go on endlessly regardless, but I invite you to make a real difference then. Invite tourists to show them your Brazil, the Brazil you want them to see. Do you ever run in to foreigners on the street, in bars, etc? Do you approach them in an unpretentious, hospitable way and attempt to give them a local perspective? Really, rambling over this on the internet does nothing. I love showing outsiders around everywhere I´ve ever lived (New Orleans, Acadiana, Puerto Rico, Colombia), really there´s nothing weird about it. Show people, don´t just talk.

I´m tempted to start a thread titled "What is the reason behind the Brazilian obsession with American media obsession with African Brazilians?" but I will restrain myself.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:59 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,035,334 times
Quote:
People don't have obsession with African Brazilians. Only obsession for the places of many africans live ( slums). If in Brazil slums only have whites Brazilians the media only shows white Brazilians in slums. Media only shows Bangladesh slums. The majority of people in Bangladesh slums are dark. Is a obsession for the habitat of poor people. Not for the race. If all Brazilians in Salvador slums are white Michael Jackson only shows white people . If they are Asian only asians. People shows more black Brazilians because the majority of them are poor. Media enjoy shows more poverty. Is not a personal preference for African Brazilians. Is only marketing.
Two different countries, I know...apples and oranges...but Colombians sometimes just take US Americans to the mall and try really hard to highlight things and places where the country is seemingly developed even if it´s glossing over the truth a little. Locals freak out when I tell them I took my friends to La Minorista in Medellín, why go to a traditional market when Colombia has a giant department store called Éxito!? The list goes on and on. Locals are too sensitive about the "fama" of the country.

What would be things that you would want tourists to see in Brazil, if the idea is to not focus on the favelas?

I´ve never been to Brazil, but this place in Medellín is dope as hell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezNv0tSO9ds

If my gringo friends visit and all we do is go to the mall, they´d be really pissed off. All the ones I´ve taken up to Comuna 13 remember it forever, and when they go home they rant and rave about it. We have a few beers up there, and when the sun is going down we head back. Then it´s on to nice restaurants in El Poblado and nice nightclubs filled with white rich Colombians, and then the night ends hanging out with hippies, rockeros and reggaetón heads at lower middle class bars in Barrio Castilla. You can do all social classes in one trip, in fact that´s kind of the idea. Can this balance be achieved in Brazil? I don´t see why not. I´m pretty sure the gringos´ AirBnbs are not the in the favela, I´m pretty sure they´re going to plenty of other places. Balance is key.

Last edited by aab7855; 05-12-2020 at 10:17 AM..

Old 05-12-2020, 10:58 AM

10,107 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Quote:
People don't have obsession with African Brazilians. Only obsession for the places of many africans live ( slums). If in Brazil slums only have whites Brazilians the media only shows white Brazilians in slums. Media only shows Bangladesh slums. The majority of people in Bangladesh slums are dark. Is a obsession for the habitat of poor people. Not for the race. If all Brazilians in Salvador slums are white Michael Jackson only shows white people . If they are Asian only asians. People shows more black Brazilians because the majority of them are poor. Media enjoy shows more poverty. Is not a personal preference for African Brazilians. Is only marketing.
You are correct regarding the socialeconomic framework of some, especially the fascination with really poor areas among some westerners. The same people that travel to other countries to "enjoy" visiting a slum often enough never venture to the closest ghetto in their hometown in the USA. They will gladly take pictures with people they meet in a slum, but hardly ever would take pictures with people from their nearest ghetto. It can be a big mystery.

Obviously, there is a difference between living and visiting. Usually, living doesn't mean a person is going everywhere in a short amount of time. You spend most of your time in a handful of neighborhoods because that's where are your job, restaurants, shops, schools, doctors, etc. With that said, it's a contrast with what certain people are willing to do very faraway from their home, but never thought of doing where they live.

One of their favorite sayings at the end of their trip is "back to the real world." I guess that says it all.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:04 PM

10,107 posts, read 14,972,719 times
I remember many years ago I saw "The Day After Tomorrow" in a movie theater. I was insulted near the end of the movie. The people were moving to Mexico because so much of the ice was covering much of the USA. The only image of Mexico City was a huge slum. A city with so much to offer, so many museums, places to visit and see, in short one of the most important urban centers of humanity. Most of Mexico City isn't even a slum and neither do most of its people live in a slum. But apparently, that was the only image of Mexico City that was "worthy and representative" for that movie and probably the audience. Me knowing how Mexico City is in reality and a slum isn't represntative of the city at all, the level of disgust at the idea that that's what was the most representative aspect for the creators of that movie and possibly the audience can't be put into words. Imagine what a Mexican from Mexico City would feel at that scene. Good thing it was at the end of the movie. lol

Even the movies that focus on rough areas of NYC take the time to show positive aspects of the city, such as its skyline, which the act of doing that says more than the actual act at all. But Mexico City? Nah, a slum with a Mexican flag over it will do. Because you know, that's what that place is worth to you. Disgusting to say the least. Condescending beyond belief. A "holier-than-thou" attitude that will simply create more ill will than good.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:23 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
When I watched on television, Pope Francis's visit to Rio, I saw no black people reading or speaking at his outdoor Mass. Only white Brazilians seemed to be chosen to conduct the celebration.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:40 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,422,723 times
Quote:
Yes african americans are so racist. United States was a racial segregation ( apartheid). In United States only have mulatoes in mixed "african" context like Will Smith In Brazil not. Afronazis americans claim everyone. North africans, dominican republic
White / amerindian

Black/amerindian

Mulatto/white ( Sharon Menezes son)

Mulatto ( white/Black)
[Img]
This post is so ignorant. LOL.

Old 05-14-2020, 06:04 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
This post is so ignorant. LOL.
It’s self-absorbed. African-Americans hardly talk about Brazil like that nowadays. Not that people don’t visit but Brazil had its time in the spotlight and people have moved on. Most African-Americans I know are far more interested in traveling through Africa and Asia. Of course, AAs frequent the Caribbean. It’s sort of normal now.

Old 05-14-2020, 02:44 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,422,723 times
Quote:
Ignorant? Why? I only expain a fact. What is the problem? We don't only have mulatoes in mixed race population. We have mestizos and many others. People don't like much if you talk "about overrepresented african heritage in countries. Only because talk about black people. Hipocrisy. But the media say lies about us is not "ignorant".
It's clear from your posts that you are a racist. Good day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
It’s self-absorbed. African-Americans hardly talk about Brazil like that nowadays. Not that people don’t visit but Brazil had its time in the spotlight and people have moved on. Most African-Americans I know are far more interested in traveling through Africa and Asia. Of course, AAs frequent the Caribbean. It’s sort of normal now.
This is true. Brazil had some popularity/interest in the early 2000s but that is long gone. In fact, the idea that America in general having any widespread interest/"obsession" with Brazil is delusional. Brazil simply doesn't have the cultural output/visibility in the US like that.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:31 AM

Quote:
I'm not racist. I only explain misconceptions. Afronazis Brazilians who say mestizos who don't have african blood are black is not racist. Or other lies about culture in my country not. Like Nigerians who don't translate portuguese and say yorubá is the second official language in Brazil. When we say is a cultural patrimony. The most incredible is that many Nigerians believe in that. After many weeks Nigeria getting apologize and say cultural patrimony not official language. Facepalm
Most Nigerians are not studying Brazil at all.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:51 AM

It has been said that Brazil has the most African descendants outside of Brazil. No one said those people are majority African in heritage. Again, everyone knows Brazil is a mixed country. Not sure what the big deal is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas