Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 11:39 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times

Advertisements

[quote=cebuan;50908733]I The Surinamese are conscious of their poor governing administration, and are in fact envious of the Guyanese, which by comparison is doing quite well, including a seemingly efficient universal health care plan.

il.[/QUOTE

Interestingly enough Guyanese think that Suriname is better off and in fact tens of thousands of Guyanese actually live there. Few Surinamers live in Guyana.

Suriname has current problems because of a perfect storm of low gold and oil prices and the closure of the aluminum plant. But prior to that they were much better off than Guyana.

Both of these countries have "interesting" governments with an intrigue that would make a good 007 movie. Drug lords are never far away from the politicians in either country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Actually Guyana has more PPP than Bolivia according to both the IMF and the World Bank. Colombia has about double both. Colombia is practically equal to Brazil in PPP, literally only $10 dollars away from the upper middle income threshold, Suriname is not too far off with $880 dollars from the threshold. http://www.imf.org/external/datamapper/PPPPC@WEO/THA
Both Colombia and Brazil have some of the world's most unequal income distribution so higher PPP doesn't necessarily mean that the average person is better off than some one in Guyana/Suriname. Both Guyana and Suriname have decent sized Brazilian populations.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:25 AM

881 posts, read 921,784 times
I have some interest in doing tourism there, also, in Trinidad and Tobago, since both places are relatively close to Colombia. I wonder how much it would cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Both Colombia and Brazil have some of the world's most unequal income distribution so higher PPP doesn't necessarily mean that the average person is better off than some one in Guyana/Suriname. Both Guyana and Suriname have decent sized Brazilian populations.
It's just a matter of checking what % of people is under the poverty line of 2 USD PPP (for example) in said countries.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:58 AM

990 posts, read 879,420 times
Quote:
They are gold miners from norther brazilian stats borders.

About the unequal income, the average person has really the average income the problem is the poorest who is miserable almost in the same level than the poorest in the poorest countries of the world.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:40 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,400,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
Suriname is a place you don't here much about. Is anyone from there on CD? Or anybody been there? I looked it up on the internet and still didn't find much. The stuff I saw made it seem like it is kind of dangerous or very high crime. It seems that the president is a convicted drug trafficker and suspected of murder. It does look like it probably has great foods, but one the articles I saw on the web thought the restaurants were pretty unremarkable.

HOT, bloody awful, stinking HOT. Unlike the USofA, where they can easily get into office, commit crimes and get re-elected, in LATAM most presidents are convicted or soon will be of corruption charges.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
They are gold miners from norther brazilian stats borders.

About the unequal income, the average person has really the average income the problem is the poorest who is miserable almost in the same level than the poorest in the poorest countries of the world.
I wasn't aware that being from Roraima or from Belem meant that someone was less Brazilian. Many now seem to be permanently resident in Guyana. Many are also encountering socio economic problems that has resulted in the Guyana government having to attend to their needs. Evidently some of their fellow Brazilian employers aren't too kind.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
HOT, bloody awful, stinking HOT. Unlike the USofA, where they can easily get into office, commit crimes and get re-elected, in LATAM most presidents are convicted or soon will be of corruption charges.
The USA now has a president who will be little better than Mugabe by the time he finishes corrupting the courts by pushing in his incompetent cronies as judges. He tried to install a few of them who couldn't even argue a case in court. He has his family raiding the cookie jar using their access to the White House to concoct corrupt deals, even at times compromising the national security interests of the USA.

The USA turns out to be not that different from Brazil.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:16 AM

990 posts, read 879,420 times
Quote:
I wasn't aware that being from Roraima or from Belem meant that someone was less Brazilian. Many now seem to be permanently resident in Guyana. Many are also encountering socio economic problems that has resulted in the Guyana government having to attend to their needs. Evidently some of their fellow Brazilian employers aren't too kind.
You are really boring I didn't say they are ‘’less Brazilian’’ but people who live in borders areas in Latin America live a cross-border life, it is not the same of Brazilian are going there for better life, they are from there.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
You are really boring I didn't say they are ‘’less Brazilian’’ but people who live in borders areas in Latin America live a cross-border life, it is not the same of Brazilian are going there for better life, they are from there.
The Suriname Brazil border is EMPTY. Almost no one lives there. The Brazilians living in Suriname come from the northeast as evidenced by the 4 weekly flights from Belem. Georgetown is hundreds of miles away from the border with Brazil and yet loads of Brazilians LIVE there, so many that there are businesses which cater to them.

So yes you do imply that these must be less Brazilian because this is NOT just about crossing a river. This is about traveling HUNDREDS of miles.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:08 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,351,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I had no idea Suriname drive on the left as I didn't think any countries in the Americas did. Why is that, France and Netherlands have always drove on the right to say nothing of the rest of South America.
You'll find quite a number of Caribbean nations that do. Jamaica, Bermuda for example.

Also the Bahamas - though most of their cars are LHD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas