Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 09:32 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,892,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Some South Americans seem more concerned about looks more than race.
I think that's correct in Latin America it's about how one looks(but a lot of people define beauty as looking "blanco" others are often considered not attractive) This is sad. If you notice your much more likely to see posts on American forums from weirdos talking about the extinction of the white race because of race mixing.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:38 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I think that's correct in Latin America it's about how one looks(but a lot of people define beauty as looking "blanco" others are often considered not attractive) This is sad. If you notice your much more likely to see posts on American forums from weirdos talking about the extinction of the white race because of race mixing.
That's because in the US exist something that doesn't exist in much of Latin America: racial politics.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:51 AM

505 posts, read 392,997 times
LA had racial politics 200 years before the pilgrims.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:08 PM

453 posts, read 317,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
I am not sure whether you are seeking input or just wish to share your viewpoints. I have worked in Latam for 20 years and can say I disagree with much of opinions expressed above in particular what's written in italics above.

Racism in Latin America is endemic to all of Latin America and systemic to their culture and institutions. It it more akin to Racism in the US in before the 1960s.
thats absolutely a truck load of BS.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:11 PM

453 posts, read 317,372 times
Quote:
I am not sure whether you are seeking input or just wish to share your viewpoints. I have worked in Latam for 20 years and can say I disagree with much of opinions expressed above in particular what's written in italics above.

Racism in Latin America is endemic to all of Latin America and systemic to their culture and institutions. It it more akin to Racism in the US in before the 1960s.
this person obviously dint have the tools to understand Latin american dynamics and saw everything trough the american lens. typical behavior in my opinion. Black Cubans dont speak different than white Cubans, black Colombians dont have a different culture or language or religion, there was no segregation or anything remotely like it. people dont move from one neighborhood because there are too many blacks or natives, thats just not the dynamic down there not even remotely like the US. being of any race is not a thing when it comes to schooling ect.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:38 PM

1,153 posts, read 630,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
this person obviously dint have the tools to understand Latin american dynamics and saw everything trough the american lens. typical behavior in my opinion. Black Cubans dont speak different than white Cubans, black Colombians dont have a different culture or language or religion, there was no segregation or anything remotely like it. people dont move from one neighborhood because there are too many blacks or natives, thats just not the dynamic down there not even remotely like the US. being of any race is not a thing when it comes to schooling ect.
I agree on Cuba. When I stayed there, I actually hung out with white Cubans as much as black ones and received a lot of love from both groups. Cuba has come a long way since Batista's rule.

I slightly disagree with Colombia though. The dynamic is different due to regionalism. Black Colombians were traditionally segregated to Cartagena and El Choco while the Native ones were segregated to the Amazonian region. It wasn't really until recent years that black Colombians became a presence in the Andean region, which is the most populous region and full of Mestizos and whites. Because of this, there is some legit racial tension in Colombia. People stereotype black Colombians as hailing from the Pacific/Caribbean coast.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:01 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,027,450 times
I'm a black half-Trinidadian, half-Cuban and married to a white Spaniard. There is definitely racial tension in Latin America & the Caribbean but not as thick as in the United States. For example, my family was thrilled when I married my husband lol.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:51 PM

881 posts, read 921,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
I slightly disagree with Colombia though. The dynamic is different due to regionalism. Black Colombians were traditionally segregated to Cartagena and El Choco while the Native ones were segregated to the Amazonian region. It wasn't really until recent years that black Colombians became a presence in the Andean region, which is the most populous region and full of Mestizos and whites. Because of this, there is some legit racial tension in Colombia. People stereotype black Colombians as hailing from the Pacific/Caribbean coast.

Not exactly, this is where Afro Colombians and Indigenous Colombians are located:

as you can see, the largest indigenous communities in Colombia are in the Caribbean region. Cauca department in the west of the country has the second largest indigenous population, after the Guajira.

Nasas are like 200.000 people, the second largest indigenous group in the country after Wayúus from La Guajira. They live mainly in Cauca, Tolima and other areas of the southwest, most of them outside of "Resguardos".

Old 02-24-2018, 11:24 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,322,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Lol it's hilarious to read, and at the same time kinda scary because of how delusional people are. A lot of them are 300 pound couch potatoes who accomplished nothing in life and hang on to their "racial superiority" since it's the only thing they can be proud of

Old 02-24-2018, 11:26 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,322,053 times
Quote:
I wasn't aware that Latin America has Jim Crow laws or racial lynchings. Please do go on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas