Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 03:25 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,720,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
Since Latin America is a highly diverse region with many different cultures, here's a generalized view of Latin America for gringos:

Latin American countries/regions that I feel are less accepting of blacks than the U.S.: Southern Brazil, Andean region(Colombia), Ecuador, Peru, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Argentina, Nicaragua

Latin American countries/regions that I feel are more accepting of blacks more than the U.S.: Cuba, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Northeast Brazil, Cartagena(Colombia), Venezuela, Uruguay, Panama, Costa Rica

Latin American countries/regions that are about the same as the U.S.: Mexico, Chile, Paraguay, Bolivia

I would also do a Native/indigenous comparison but it's trickier since Native American descendants are far more prevalent in Latin America than the U.S.

Anyways, these are generalizations, but I feel there's a lot of truth to each of them.

Even Mexico and Chile are accepting more Haitian refugees than the U.S.(especially with this country's scrapping of DACA), with little to no backlash or violence from locals so even they are starting to lean towards the 2nd category.

There are Latin American countries and regions with legitimate racial issues but you really have to specify instead of just saying "Latin America."
Well I am from Latin America and I am trying to learn more about my region's racial issues

Old 03-19-2018, 11:59 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
Since Latin America is a highly diverse region with many different cultures, here's a generalized view of Latin America for gringos:

Latin American countries/regions that I feel are less accepting of blacks than the U.S.: Southern Brazil, Andean region(Colombia), Ecuador, Peru, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Argentina, Nicaragua

Latin American countries/regions that I feel are more accepting of blacks more than the U.S.: Cuba, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Northeast Brazil, Cartagena(Colombia), Venezuela, Uruguay, Panama, Costa Rica

Latin American countries/regions that are about the same as the U.S.: Mexico, Chile, Paraguay, Bolivia

I would also do a Native/indigenous comparison but it's trickier since Native American descendants are far more prevalent in Latin America than the U.S.

Anyways, these are generalizations, but I feel there's a lot of truth to each of them.

Even Mexico and Chile are accepting more Haitian refugees than the U.S.(especially with this country's scrapping of DACA), with little to no backlash or violence from locals so even they are starting to lean towards the 2nd category.

There are Latin American countries and regions with legitimate racial issues but you really have to specify instead of just saying "Latin America."
The areas you named as more accepting are the areas where they brought Africans to work as slaves on sugarcane plantations. The allegedly less accepting areas had far fewer uses of African slaves.
That does not mean one is equal and one is bad.

I was in Bogota in 2016 and though it's not predominantly Black, I saw Black people in walks of society.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:58 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,044,731 times
I give credit where credit is due & the Island Fidelistas have done some of the most heavy lifting in opposing the globalist plantation system here in the Americas, at least since the became a hive homogeneous plantation collective due since the Red Scare (1919- McCarthy era). Though when the strong man moves on the next generation tends to be shakey & flakey.

I believe Chavez's brother was a Communist (but whether he was of the Fidelista; Marxist; Lenini; Non-Aligned Titoeso; or Tri-Continental flava, I don't know).

Its still unclear whether the Pacific region indio bozal moviemento will take off as a regional or South American movement.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:47 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
I give credit where credit is due & the Island Fidelistas have done some of the most heavy lifting in opposing the globalist plantation system here in the Americas, at least since the became a hive homogeneous plantation collective due since the Red Scare (1919- McCarthy era). Though when the strong man moves on the next generation tends to be shakey & flakey.

I believe Chavez's brother was a Communist (but whether he was of the Fidelista; Marxist; Lenini; Non-Aligned Titoeso; or Tri-Continental flava, I don't know).

Its still unclear whether the Pacific region indio bozal moviemento will take off as a regional or South American movement.
Cuba’s economy is pretty bad. No one wants to move to Cuba.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:57 PM

9 posts, read 10,641 times
Latin america isn't one country. Race relations can vary drastically from one country to the next so it's hard to make these comparisons.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:07 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 36chambers View Post
Latin america isn't one country. Race relations can vary drastically from one country to the next so it's hard to make these comparisons.
The game of chess, is like a sword fight...you must think first before you move.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:39 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times
Depends on the country

Old 04-12-2018, 03:01 PM

76 posts, read 56,560 times
It probably depends. The Latino countries where the population is overall the same, homogeneous, like where everyone is mixed/&white, and they are the same in culture, I would think they wouldn't worry much about racism.

However, countries with various large ethnic groups, things can get racist; like in Guatemala where sometime there are racial tension between Indigenous folks and Mestizos/white Guatemalans.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:48 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaxkan View Post
It probably depends. The Latino countries where the population is overall the same, homogeneous, like where everyone is mixed/&white, and they are the same in culture, I would think they wouldn't worry much about racism.

However, countries with various large ethnic groups, things can get racist; like in Guatemala where sometime there are racial tension between Indigenous folks and Mestizos/white Guatemalans.
I have never heard of racial tensions in Guatemala. I am mestizo and have been allover Guatemala never had any problems.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:45 PM

76 posts, read 56,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I have never heard of racial tensions in Guatemala. I am mestizo and have been allover Guatemala never had any problems.
Well just because you haven’t personally experienced racism in Guatemala, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. I've heard accounts of it happening from family.

Plus, you likely don't understand an Indigenous language. Indigenous folks will also say racist stuff about Mestizos.

Last edited by Yaxkan; 04-13-2018 at 09:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas