Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 06:32 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,115,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
First off that come from some "Hispanic" themselves.... I member once as a kid I argue with a Mexican kid, that if I born in Mexico I would be Mexican he said no because I'm black. Logically this doesn't make sense but to him you can't be black and Mexican.

Hispanic and Latino would not makes sense in Latin America because every one is, how ever Mejorar la raza and Blanqueamiento are.

The Fact that Hispanic themselves often think of themselves as a race, reflects the idealism of race from those counties, how Mexican, Brazilian, Colombian So how suppose to look. White to tan, And the discrimination against those that don't.

Mejorar la raza’

Second off..... as state before being consensus or non consensus race, has nothing to do with whether a person is racist or not.

US is more race consensus and deal with racial inequality.

While Latin America ignore the fact it has worst issues around racial inequality.

Color blind racism

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...is-form-racism

----------

In nut shell isn't those quotes what your doing below?

Yeah "historical and "sociogeographical" conditions" like The historioc Racial caste system that existed in Latin America.

The difference is the US has done more to fight against racial inequality. as a result more barriers have been knock down.
One Mexican American kid represents an entire region of people? Had the Mexican kid even been to Mexico?

Do you have any real experience or knowledge in Latin America yourself? Have you lived there, worked there? Do you speak Spanish or Portuguese?

Because if you're just some dude submitting links, you have no real credibility.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Exactly, which is why I say it just doesn't work the same way. I also would argue most people trying to argue that LA is more racist than the US are probably racists themeselves, not all though. I mean how insecure are you to argue that?
Definitely. To justify their own racism, they want to point their fingers at other countries and claim it's worse.

Also a look of propaganda is put out by certain American interests to frighten Americans to not visit other countries. Anytime an American lives the country, for vacation or for work or for study, that's money that is leaving the US economy.

So there are those who have an agenda to push the rest of the world outside the US as some horrible place.

There's also been a tradition of African Americans at times leaving the US for Europe or for Latin America or other places when they don't want to deal with racism in the US. This makes Black American nationalists hysterical, as they lose people this way. So these Black nationalists have the urge to create horror stories of other countries.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:33 AM

1,153 posts, read 637,289 times
I lived briefly in two Latin American countries: Cuba and Panama. Also, I've studied many world cultures in depth.

Here's the thing about Latin America: political correctness is virtually non-existent. People say what's on their minds and don't seem to care. That's how it is in most parts of the world outside the U.S., Canada, and Northwestern Europe. When you take this into consideration, you'll realize Latin America isn't much more racist than the U.S. Classist? Yes. But racist? Debatable.

Honestly, 15 years ago, the OP may have had a point. However, the U.S. has become a very racially divided country over the last 15 years with tons of identity politics and quasi-nationalism on all fronts, including the rise of the Alt-Right, white/black/Chicano extremist groups, etc. Plus, the mainstream media race baits and tries to keep people divided any chance it gets and people fall for it hook, line, and sinker. Today, I don't see how people can keep peddling the idea that the U.S. is this kumbaya singing utopia compared to Latin America.

Of course, "Latin America" itself is a massive region full of different countries to begin with. I see no evidence that the U.S. embraces its black population and roots any more than Puerto Rico, Venezuela, modern day Cuba, Uruguay, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic and Panama. In all those countries, blackness is treated as the norm, even by the white population. They also embrace African traditions through music like salsa, mambo, Bachata, cambomde, etc. as well as preservation of Yoruba spirituality.

Im Uruguay, more than 100,000 people worship a Yoruba god/goddess and the number is even greater in Cuba and Brazil. Also, Santeria is widely practiced and sometimes embraced as opposed to being "evil." Even in New Orleans, white Americans don't mess with voodoo or African rooted spirituality. Also, many whites in those countries, excluding Uruguay, don't mind embracing black roots as part of their identity along with the Spanish and Native identity. In Puerto Rico and Venezuela, even whites will often say they have black blood in them even without proof. Most White Americans will almost never acknowledge having black blood in them even with proof. It's too stigmatized in the U.S. due to the one drop rule which doesn't exist in most of Latin America.

Now, Colombia and Brazil have much more racial issues involving blacks in comparison mainly because of the segregation in both countries. Colombia is divided primarily into five regions: the Andean Region(full of whites and Mestizos), the Caribbean(full of Tri-racials, mulattoes, and blacks), the Pacific(full of blacks and Zambos), the Amazon(full of Amerindians and Mestizos), and the Orinoquia(which is more of a melting pot). Generally, the biggest divide is between the Andean region and the Pacific/Caribbean/Amazonian regions. Also, in Brazil, there is a big divide between South Brazil(which is mostly white like Uruguay) and Northeast Brazil(which has tons of Pardos and blacks along with others).

Nevertheless, many Colombians and Brazilians still have a normalized view of blackness in spite of their racial/regional divides because of the large black and mixed populations. A black Brazilian generally shares the same culture as a white Brazilian and they both will reach that consensus. The same holds true for white and black Colombians. Despite their divides, they're still more unified than white and black Americans today imho.

And, generally speaking, other Latin American countries with smaller black populations have far more of an issue with racism towards Indigenous than blacks. Such cases include Argentina, Chile, Northern Mexico, Peru, Guatemala, and El Salvador. Then, you have countries that have equal racism towards both like Honduras and Nicaragua.

You CAN make the case the Latin America has more of an issue towards anti-Native racism than the U.S. but that's a pretty unfair comparison to begin with since Natives are only 1% of the U.S. population. Besides, here's what goes with many Native communities in the U.S.:
Perspective: When racism enters realm of South Dakota sports
Yes, Alaskans can talk about racism | Community Perspectives | newsminer.com
https://www.dailyrepublic.com/opinio...shames-us-all/
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...o-be-homeless/
Why Are So Many Native Americans Killed By Police?
https://www.southdakotadashboard.org...ans-in-poverty

As you can see, the U.S. hardly treats Natives any better than Latin America. Many Natives in the U.S. have to deal with racism, poverty, homelessness, alcoholism, police brutality, etc. in areas that are filled with Native Americans.

Generally speaking, a lot of racism in Latin America is driven by regionalism/nationalism and class. Haitians are treated poorly in the DR but black Dominicans don't have to deal with those issues. Black Colombians are treated poorly in Venezuela but black Venezuelans don't have that same stigma. Also, countries like Chile, Mexico, Brazil, and Venezuela have really opened up their doors to Haitian immigrants and there's no particular right wing extremists threatening their lives or attacking them. Also, Chile may have problems with indigenous looking Peruvian/Bolivian immigrants but the local Mapuche are treated pretty fine there.

It's hard to explain because it's so complex. Plus, not every Latin American country is the same. One thing I will say is that the U.S. beauty standards aren't as Eurocentric as Latin America's. That's a fact and something that needs to change since many black and Indigenous Latinas in particular suffer low self esteem because of it. However, when it comes to actual manifestations of racism/xenophobia, I don't see how Latin America is any worse than the U.S. today. I'm serious.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:31 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,735,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
I lived briefly in two Latin American countries: Cuba and Panama. Also, I've studied many world cultures in depth.

Here's the thing about Latin America: political correctness is virtually non-existent. People say what's on their minds and don't seem to care. That's how it is in most parts of the world outside the U.S., Canada, and Northwestern Europe. When you take this into consideration, you'll realize Latin America isn't much more racist than the U.S. Classist? Yes. But racist? Debatable.

Honestly, 15 years ago, the OP may have had a point. However, the U.S. has become a very racially divided country over the last 15 years with tons of identity politics and quasi-nationalism on all fronts, including the rise of the Alt-Right, white/black/Chicano extremist groups, etc. Plus, the mainstream media race baits and tries to keep people divided any chance it gets and people fall for it hook, line, and sinker. Today, I don't see how people can keep peddling the idea that the U.S. is this kumbaya singing utopia compared to Latin America.

Of course, "Latin America" itself is a massive region full of different countries to begin with. I see no evidence that the U.S. embraces its black population and roots any more than Puerto Rico, Venezuela, modern day Cuba, Uruguay, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic and Panama. In all those countries, blackness is treated as the norm, even by the white population. They also embrace African traditions through music like salsa, mambo, Bachata, cambomde, etc. as well as preservation of Yoruba spirituality.

Im Uruguay, more than 100,000 people worship a Yoruba god/goddess and the number is even greater in Cuba and Brazil. Also, Santeria is widely practiced and sometimes embraced as opposed to being "evil." Even in New Orleans, white Americans don't mess with voodoo or African rooted spirituality. Also, many whites in those countries, excluding Uruguay, don't mind embracing black roots as part of their identity along with the Spanish and Native identity. In Puerto Rico and Venezuela, even whites will often say they have black blood in them even without proof. Most White Americans will almost never acknowledge having black blood in them even with proof. It's too stigmatized in the U.S. due to the one drop rule which doesn't exist in most of Latin America.

Now, Colombia and Brazil have much more racial issues involving blacks in comparison mainly because of the segregation in both countries. Colombia is divided primarily into five regions: the Andean Region(full of whites and Mestizos), the Caribbean(full of Tri-racials, mulattoes, and blacks), the Pacific(full of blacks and Zambos), the Amazon(full of Amerindians and Mestizos), and the Orinoquia(which is more of a melting pot). Generally, the biggest divide is between the Andean region and the Pacific/Caribbean/Amazonian regions. Also, in Brazil, there is a big divide between South Brazil(which is mostly white like Uruguay) and Northeast Brazil(which has tons of Pardos and blacks along with others).

Nevertheless, many Colombians and Brazilians still have a normalized view of blackness in spite of their racial/regional divides because of the large black and mixed populations. A black Brazilian generally shares the same culture as a white Brazilian and they both will reach that consensus. The same holds true for white and black Colombians. Despite their divides, they're still more unified than white and black Americans today imho.

And, generally speaking, other Latin American countries with smaller black populations have far more of an issue with racism towards Indigenous than blacks. Such cases include Argentina, Chile, Northern Mexico, Peru, Guatemala, and El Salvador. Then, you have countries that have equal racism towards both like Honduras and Nicaragua.

You CAN make the case the Latin America has more of an issue towards anti-Native racism than the U.S. but that's a pretty unfair comparison to begin with since Natives are only 1% of the U.S. population. Besides, here's what goes with many Native communities in the U.S.:

As you can see, the U.S. hardly treats Natives any better than Latin America. Many Natives in the U.S. have to deal with racism, poverty, homelessness, alcoholism, police brutality, etc. in areas that are filled with Native Americans.

Generally speaking, a lot of racism in Latin America is driven by regionalism/nationalism and class. Haitians are treated poorly in the DR but black Dominicans don't have to deal with those issues. Black Colombians are treated poorly in Venezuela but black Venezuelans don't have that same stigma. Also, countries like Chile, Mexico, Brazil, and Venezuela have really opened up their doors to Haitian immigrants and there's no particular right wing extremists threatening their lives or attacking them. Also, Chile may have problems with indigenous looking Peruvian/Bolivian immigrants but the local Mapuche are treated pretty fine there.

It's hard to explain because it's so complex. Plus, not every Latin American country is the same. One thing I will say is that the U.S. beauty standards aren't as Eurocentric as Latin America's. That's a fact and something that needs to change since many black and Indigenous Latinas in particular suffer low self esteem because of it. However, when it comes to actual manifestations of racism/xenophobia, I don't see how Latin America is any worse than the U.S. today. I'm serious.
Interesting, tell more about the beauty standards of women?

Old 02-15-2018, 06:50 PM

Latin America is also more progressive in a literal sense, not compared to the US where everything is white guilt, political correctness, forced diversity into everything, 100 genders, 3rd wave feminism [It is though starting to gain its ground in countries like Argentina, Mexico and Bolivia I did heard], etc.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post

Contemporarily you'll find a number of Blacks in major Colombian cities like Bogota and Medellin. No Black Colombian is moving to Venezuela these days. It would be the other way around, Venezuelans of any race move to Colombia.

Otherwise you have a very good post and made excellent/fantastic points.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:22 AM

Donald Trump, a Nazi, won the election as a part of a massive backlash against the nation's first black president.

In terms of African religions/spirituality, music, food being much more widely embraced in Latin America, this is very true.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:14 AM

453 posts, read 320,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
What was wrong with examples already posted? but ok

NEWS AND POLITICS Police Violence in Brazil Was Just Called a Human Rights Crisis

Brazilian Police Brutality Is Just As Dangerous As Gang Violence

United Nations

Race and Poverty in Latin America: Addressing the Development Needs of African Descendants

There's this idea in latin America that if people are mix or if people have relations with people of different color there no racism.

This is flawed....... even slave holders had sexual relations with slaves in both countries this doesn't mean they saw people of different colors equal. There was still a social order of racism starting with idea of slaves and masters in the first place.

But in latin America there as a Racial caste system to deal with non whites and mix people. It's not like the US racism but yet still a very very very racist idea.

PBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdxdXfDLaNs

Casta Wiki

Caste And Class Structure In Colonial Spanish America

Obviously the US is not racism free that isn't my point, my point is Latin America is behind the US in terms of racial inequality.

I feel like US and Brazil in terms of racial equality is like like rabbit vs the turtle, The US "the turtle" with Jim crow was obliviously behind Latin America "rabbit" in terms of racial equality pre 60's,

but Latin America countries declare themselves racial democracies with nothing to fix, when they did,

Since then US outlawed Jim Crow, and started addressing issues, And The US has made all kinds of more black/ other minorities and etc firsts, While Latin countries are behind income, media, achievements, education, government compared to the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4suegOrm2Vs
this is done by AI, they will consider the average Brazilian to be black as they think in Anglo-Saxon terms and a mixed-race Brazilian will be considered black. I dont think the Brazilian police goes out to kill black people, the favelas are full of people of all races. And as guiterhero45 said, beauty standards in LA TV are more eurocentric than on the US.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:21 AM

453 posts, read 320,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Interesting, tell more about the beauty standards of women?

This is a very good analysis

Old 02-16-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Donald Trump, a Nazi, won the election as a part of a massive backlash against the nation's first black president.

In terms of African religions/spirituality, music, food being much more widely embraced in Latin America, this is very true.
Right, but I am sure unlike in the US, not everyone will go with calling Trump an alt-righter, Nazi, etc and go on with their own business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas