Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 12:19 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Okay. Marine areas were the fastest growing areas being put under protection over the last decade under the Natura 2000 program. Also, the general thrust of what you’re saying, that Europe as a whole will not countenance working against certain economic interests in order to do anything ecologically necessary is silly. What do you think the shifting towards electric vehicles does for Europe? They are already a major player in the automobile industry with industrial combustion engines and the changeover to EVs potentially leaves a lot of European car companies in the dust as well as opens them up to substantial competition from upstarts from all over.

Regardless, all of the above is besides the main point that all countries should be doing more on a policy level and that it will be the poorest segments of the population with the least means and resources to draw upon who will face the worst consequences. Trying to check someone on their privilege isn’t going to be so gratifying when **** really hits the fan.
I see no electric vehicles in Spain and dud not see them in Portugal. Electric vehicles are not a thing with the majority of the population. I actually live in Europe and have direct knowledge and experience. The agricultural sector, especially its exports of citrus, olives, and warm weather crops has caused major wilderness destruction in Southern Europe that isn’t being done. Oh, a lot of coastal areas in recent years have had apartments and hotels spring up as British and other Northern Europeans invest and move to the South.

They’re very happy to take tourism and foreign investment in the Mediterranean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 12:21 PM

10,090 posts, read 14,959,511 times
No electric vehicles in Spain? I can understand seeing few electric vehicles, but none?

Let me check on a map to see in what country are Madrid and Leon.

https://somoselectricos.com/proximos...-tesla-espana/

Oh look, Tesla has service stations in all regions of that country. Who knew!

Tesla is the visible kind, but imagine other electric cars that look like their all gasoline counter parts!

Old 08-15-2019, 12:25 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
ORBITAL RADARS for checking in real time what is happing including when have clouds, not just satellite that take pics.

You Germans an old industrialazed country who poluted a lot the world think with 35 millions dollar the problem is solved there? Brazil expend billions dollars there. How Bolsonaro said we don't need this money.

If you want opine in Amazonas put the necessary money there for ORBITAL RADARS, drones and patroll all the área bigger than EU.
Of course it is not a lot of money, but it is a clear sign. Bolsonaro is being reprimanded.

I definitely agree that the world is unfair. Europeans and Americans have caused almost all environmental pollution for 200 years.
Still, that doesn't mean Brazil and other countries should make those same mistakes.
Nor does Brazil do itself a favor when it goes the easy way of agricultural exports. It is the same cheap money as tourism. Would make more sense for Brazil to increase (instead of decrease, the way Bolsonaro does) education funding so that the country can develop sustainable soft industries.

As for Spain, much of it is simply too dry for reforestation, same in the southern half of Portugal. The Sahara is slowly creeping into Europe...

Last edited by Neuling; 08-15-2019 at 12:37 PM..

Old 08-15-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
No electric vehicles in Spain? I can understand seeing few electric vehicles, but none?

Tesla is the visible kind, but imagine other electric cars that look like their all gasoline counter parts!
And how many gas stations are there in Spain? Lots of people drive motorcycles here too. Electric vehicles are not a thing here.

Used cars here are pretty common. Clunky, fuel consuming ones.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post

Of course there are electric cars in Spain and Portugal. I seem them plugged in every day at the usual parking lots equipped with chargers.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Of course it is not a lot of money, but it is a clear sign. Bolsonaro is being reprimanded.

I definitely agree that the world is unfair. Europeans and Americans have caused almost all environmental pollution for 200 years.
Still, that doesn't mean Brazil and other countries should make those same mistakes.
Nor does Brazil do itself a favor when it goes the easy way of agricultural exports. It is the same cheap money as tourism. Would make more sense for Brazil to increase (instead of decrease, the way Bolsonaro does) education funding so that the country can develop sustainable soft industries.

As for Spain, much of it is simply to dry for reforestation, same in the southern half of Portugal. The Sahara is slowly creeping into Europe...
It’s not too dry for reforestation. It’s being used for heavy export agriculture, which is the real reason Southern Spain nor Southern Portugal will be reforested.

That and the real estate development doesn’t help. It’s all about money.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Of course there are electric cars in Spain and Portugal. I seem them plugged in every day at the usual parking lots equipped with chargers.
Yeah right. I never saw any in Madrid, Barcelona, Andalucía, or Portugal.

That doesn’t mean there are no electric cars, but they are hardly in danger of being a significant number of cars here.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Except Brazil will be getting billions for mining and timber in the Amazon. So Germany changes nothing there.

But Germany cannot even do anything about environmental destruction here in Europe.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It’s not too dry for reforestation. It’s being used for heavy export agriculture, which is the real reason Southern Spain nor Southern Portugal will be reforested.

That and the real estate development doesn’t help. It’s all about money.
That's not true. Most of southern Spain is simply dry, unused land. Almeria, where most of the greenhouses are located, is just a tiny part of Spain, although the ocean of plastic covers looks impressive (in a negative way), of course. The very fact that they use green houses in southern Spain is due to the fact that it is by nature very dry land, not made for agriculture or forests.
Add to the diminishing groundwater climate change and the future for southern Spain looks gloomy...

https://www.biu.com/climate-change-t...n-desert-2100/

Old 08-15-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yeah right. I never saw any in Madrid, Barcelona, Andalucía, or Portugal.

That doesn’t mean there are no electric cars, but they are hardly in danger of being a significant number of cars here.
Their numbers are increasing fast...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas