Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 10:10 PM

10,097 posts, read 14,965,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
On one hand, yes. Stats can be a little deceiving though. I´m not saying this moves the numbers by a large amount, but plenty of dual US-Dominican citizens, or even US Citizens of Dominican ancestry and/or mixed PR/DR, have been moving to Puerto Rico. It´s kind of a happy medium for them to live in a culture much closer to theirs, fly across the Mona Passage on holidays, still make dollars and enjoy the US system, etc. How would those people be counted? They might be left out of here.
On US territory and by US government agencies abroad, such as embassies, US citizenship takes precedence. They are counted as Americans, which is one of the main reasons why the stats for Americans living in the DR is so great.

If anything, the media in PR and DR has been focusing on the ever increasing numbers of Puerto Ricans that are moving to the DR either from PR itself or from the USA. Stories such as the following are well known now. It's in Spanish, but this increasing migration flow of Puerto Ricans hasn't been registered until the beginning of the XXth century when there was a sizable migration flow from PR.

Quote:
Also, where would undocumented people even fall in the list? Are they counted?
I don't know if they are counted or not. Given the large outflow of Puerto Ricans from PR after Hurricane Maria, I think it goes without saying that many the Dominicans that were undocumented there left the island too. In fact, the Dominican embassy and consulates in PR has seen a noticeable growth of Dominican citizens requesting cartas de ruta, which basically is a one way trip back to the DR and paid for by the Dominican government to any Dominican that can show financial difficulties prohibiting them being able to finance a return trip to the DR. This up tick has never before been experienced by Dominican agencies in PR.

Quote:
So Spain still requires visas for Dominicans to visit? That probably indicates to me that many living there ARE documented. Lots of Colombians are going to Europe and just not coming back, ever since the Schengen visa requirements were lifted a few years ago...there´s even rumor of Spain putting the visa requirements back again, they´re not happy with how things are working out.
All European countries require visas from Dominicans to visit and obviously if someone wants to be a permanent residence there. What they do offer for visiting is that if any person has a US tourist visa, they automatically are allowed into the European Union, which includes Spain. Spain does maintain a preference for Dominican immigrants, judging that the Spanish embassy in Santo Domingo practically gives a residency visa to whomever request it, as long that they don't have a penal record or problems with the law. Once in Spain, due to the privilege given to Latinos, two years instead of ten living in Spain are required to apply for Spanish citizenship. Once that is gained, basically the world is easier for traveling.

Dominican citizenship is never lost, dual citizenship recognized with Canada, the US, and Spain; and the children of just one Dominican citizen automatically is granted Dominican citizenship by simply requesting tho+is at the nearest Dominican embassy or consulate, never jeopardizing the other citizenship they gained through birth or other means. In Spain, because citizenship is not automatically given through birth, Children of Dominican parents with no Spanish citizenship are registered in the nearest Dominican embassy or consulate and receive their Dominican papers, including Dominican cédulas, which is an ID card that every Dominican citizen has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 10:24 PM

10,097 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Anyways, to return back to the topic, I think in this respect there is a subset of people that would always find some type of fault on the DR to throw on their shoulders the issue of Haiti as long that Haiti remains in the conditions it currently is in. If it was a mostly white population, they would base their arguments on that in there attempt of blaming the DR for what Haiti has become and then attempting to make the DR "fix it." Currently the bulk of the population is of mixed race, so they attack that. If the population was overwhelmingly black, they would cling to that. If it was mostly East Asians, they would cling to that. It really doesn't matter what the population is, the point is to make Dominicans feel responsible for the situation Haiti is in and then place the responsibility to "fix it" on the DR.

At least, that is how is seen by most Dominicans from all social levels and geography, even by Dominican emigrants. There is a sense that many people think Dominicans are superior to Haitians, but they can't say it. Instead, most Dominicans see this in the actions and opinions of people that want the DR to fix the problem.

The biggest issue is that the DR can't fix it. Its not an issue of will, it simply lacks the ability to fix Haiti. That country needs resources that the DR simply doesn't have.

To put it another way, if Haiti was a normal developing country in this hemisphere, like Jamaica or Ecuador or Paraguay; there would be little to no interest in attempting to make the DR "fix" this neighboring nation.

Old 01-10-2020, 01:56 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
And what does DR gets from Haiti and its friends in the CARICOM? Slander and a campaign of hate, accusations of racism.

then they wonder why lots of Dominicans have strong opinions about Haitians.

And what do you expect when the DR goes out of its way to deprive anyone born in the DR after 1929 of their DR citizenship based on the alleged legal status of the original entrant.

Keeping people from entering and living in a nation illegally is one thing. Stripping people of the only nation that they know is another. And one can only hypothesize as to the motives for this, given that people born in the DR to people also born in the DR clearly aren't Haitian, regardless as to what the DR gov't considers them to be.

To claim that 2 generations of people are "intransit" so aren't DR citizens is a joke.

Old 01-10-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
For many people the problem is the existence of the DR .

I don't know if you know this but the DR is the most low profile of the larger Caribbean nations. Cuba, Haiti, Jamaica and even the Bahamas and Trinidad have a higher profile.

And to most Caribbean people the DR is that country next to Haiti packed with confused people who show up begging for work in their small islands. They don't know what the DR is or what it represents, and I don't think that they much care.

If people know little of the DR to claim that they wish to deny its existence is a bit melodramatic. Many folks think that Punta Cana is somewhere in Mexico, the drama of weird deaths last year being some of the best PR that the DR got.

Old 01-10-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Who told you that ALL the other islands are so dependent on tourism?

Do you know anything about the other islands? Perhaps if you did, you would know that in Trinidad & Tobago ,oil and natural gas account for about 40% of the nation’s GDP.

Tourism is only about 3% of the national GDP.
https://oxfordbusinessgroup.com/trin...o-2017/tourism

And in fact most Trinis pity the islands which are tourist dependent, starting with their partner Tobago. Guyanese ditto.

Old 01-10-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I wonder how some of the Dominicans here feel about the white nationalists who want all Latinos dead, such as the gunman El Paso? He shot those who he believed to be “Latino”. Being “mulatto” makes you no safer than being Black.

Interesting enough most US based Dominicans would be considered "black" in a southern state like TX. So if the gunman was seeking out "Hispanic looking" people they would have been OK. To people like these Dominicans are no different from Beyoncé, or Rihanna.

Old 01-10-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconada View Post
I find this especially true of Americans "you may be mixed but white man still sees you as black" Dont nobody give a f*ck what he think tf

In fact many Latin Americans invest a lot of time in ensuring that they are NOT considered "black". What is interesting is that this especially applies to Dominicans with their Haitianphobia. Juan Pena had to deal with that and I believe the current Miss DR Universe has to fight off accusations that she is "Haitian".

What is really so wrong with being "black". When last I checked it wasn't a disease.

Old 01-10-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

So ask yourself why are you so full of self hatred you weep if someone calls you Black or Native? A person who truly looks white can just say they are white.

"Whiteness" is a prized commodity among Latin Americans. I had a Brazilian friend (in appearance equivalent to a swarthy person from southern Spain) who literally cried for half an hour when parents of a white American girlfriend that he had threatened to disown her if she didn't dump him. He was more upset about not being considered "white" than about the disrespect that her parents showed towards him.

Those Latins who are too dark to be "white" opt for a mixed identity. No one is "Indio" unless they dress up in a shawl, speak Indigenous languages and lives a marginal life. And unless one looks 100% right out of the Congo basin no one is "black", because that is a contagion. This same Brazilian and his Latin American friends called me a white hating racist because I couldn't understand why I should self identify as a "mulato" (yes they used that word). To them being 15% Europe was my get out of being "black" card so I must be really "anti white" not to use it.

Its a sad word that some of these folks live in. So obsessed with trying to get the "white" oligarchs in their nations to accept them. Many of these "whites" being more than 15% black or Indigenous.

Old 01-10-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
It's kind of funny that you made sure your legal status is understood by all. LOL

Generally, most Dominicans know the US has a problem with mass shooting and racial issues..

If I were a Dominican I wouldn't talk too loudly about border issues and the ethnic/racial hostilities that spring from it. Yes we are aware of the fact that some people have been chopped in some DR border regions because others assumed them to be Haitian. The xenophobes in TX will use the same justification for their attitudes towards those who they perceive to be "Mexican" as do Dominicans have towards those assumed to be "Haitian".

And yes Mexicans also use the same "anchor baby" strategies that Haitians use.

Old 01-10-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Careful! A lot of people will become enraged at that assertion. (though true)

Yes just reading that sends many Dominicans into psychiatric care, screaming "I am Dominican, I am not black". This with their negroid features and tight curly hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas