Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2022, 12:15 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,038 times

Advertisements

I know this sounds like a stupid question and am probably going to get a lot of flack for asking this question but am I able to bring my own cell phone there?

I have heard of stories where people get their cell phones get stolen. One who got it snatched from him as he was using it on the sidewalk and another who got it stolen from him as someone cut his jeans (the pockets) and then snatched it from him.

Should I be worried?

I'm thinking of leaving my cell phone home and using only my mom's as she is coming with us as well.

Should I leave it here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2022, 06:33 PM

783 posts, read 695,026 times
I went there on vacation before and nothing happened. I'm sure there are some bad stories, but if you want my anecdote, it's fine by my standard.

Old 04-17-2022, 10:11 PM

881 posts, read 922,676 times
Yes, almost everyone has an smartphone and they use it every day on most places.

Old 04-18-2022, 12:34 AM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Not to worry. You will probably be run over crossing the street before your cell phone is snatched. I had no problems with my phone while there. Cell phones are common.

Old 04-18-2022, 01:03 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I know this sounds like a stupid question and am probably going to get a lot of flack for asking this question but am I able to bring my own cell phone there?

I have heard of stories where people get their cell phones get stolen. One who got it snatched from him as he was using it on the sidewalk and another who got it stolen from him as someone cut his jeans (the pockets) and then snatched it from him.

Should I be worried?

I'm thinking of leaving my cell phone home and using only my mom's as she is coming with us as well.

Should I leave it here?
I lived and worked in Peru 2015-2016 and often spent time in Lima and I never had a problem with any crime myself. Like in big US cities, the area you're in and how much late-night activities you engage in will determine your risk of having a crime issue. I would highly recommend you bring your cell phone.

Old 04-21-2022, 07:02 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,598,707 times
You already have enough forewarning that you can take precautions. Don't use it in crowded areas, keep it packed securely. I think you can fit it with a finger loop to hang on more securely.

If you don't plan to use it for local phone calls, a 50-buck tablet may be enough. For calls home, use mytello or the like on your tablet wifi. Mytello bills about $7 for 500 minutes, Peru to US, via wifi, . no hidden charges or signup fee.

Peru has a bunch of places much nicer and safer than Lima.

Last edited by arr430; 04-21-2022 at 07:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas