Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2019, 11:04 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,243,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Take it from someone (a born and bred US Citizen no less) trying to move his family back to the States-- the system is f´d up, I mean maddeningly inefficient and bad. I am not fleeing anything so I have no right to complain about my situation, I feel for those seeking asylum or those who have TPS. We can blame this president and that for certain pivots in how immigration law is enforced (see prison camps on the border), but in the end, it hasn´t been right for some time and no one is trying to do anything about it.
Thats right...you are in Columbia correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 02:38 PM

192 posts, read 118,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
I dont think the system is inefficient, i think its working as intended.
they dont want brown people here.

Old 03-01-2019, 02:56 PM

192 posts, read 118,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
The Polish soldiers switched sides and joined with the Haitians, which just goes to show that the Haitians were anti white SLAVE OWNER, not anti white.

And the French? They bullied Haiti to compensate them for the loss of slaves and the loans that Haiti had to incur to do so were only fully repaid in the 40s. And there was a trade embargo against Haiti by slave owning nations determined to see it fail.
well eventually Haiti became somewhat anti white.

The atrocities committed by the Haitians in the Spanish side where 100% racially based.
they specifically targeted white people for execution.

Haitians brought about 10k free american slaves to the Dominican side, during the Haitian occupation, something Dominicans interpreted as an attempt of the Haitians to displace them of their own country.
a form of ethnic cleansing. (the population of DR at the time was about 60k)

The First Haitian constitution banned whites from citizenship or owning land in Haiti, and declared all citizens "black". Lost of white french moved to the Spanish side because of that. ( even some that fought with the Haitians )The ban was later removed.
Haiti once had a good size middle eastern elite, but it has been slowly moving to RD in the last couple of decades.

The earthquake provoked another wave of Haitians mulattoes and whites moving to DR. (along with the thousands of common citizens)
lost on rich Haitians now live in DR and manage their business in Haiti from there.

lots of important Haitians figures currently live in DR: Henri Namphy (died months ago) Guy phillipe (think is in prission?) Michell martelly (famous for his rambunctious parties in his rooftop in Santo Domingo) dozens of Senators, ex-generals, you name it.

The rich Haitian elite has no issue in DR, its the poor.

So there you have it.

Last edited by Snapshoot; 03-01-2019 at 03:05 PM..

Old 03-01-2019, 02:57 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:
Take it from someone (a born and bred US Citizen no less) trying to move his family back to the States-- the system is f´d up, I mean maddeningly inefficient and bad. I am not fleeing anything so I have no right to complain about my situation, I feel for those seeking asylum or those who have TPS. We can blame this president and that for certain pivots in how immigration law is enforced (see prison camps on the border), but in the end, it hasn´t been right for some time and no one is trying to do anything about it.

Please show what Trump has done to make LEGAL immigration harder for people who do not come from the 7 "terrorist" nations. Your family would have had as hard a time under Obama as they do now. I will argue that getting them to Canada isn't any easier. Rich nations don't want people from impoverished countries drowning them out.

At the end of the day if some nations are hell holes its the responsibility of their own people to fix it. If another nation shows compassion, great, but they have no obligation to do so.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
well eventually Haiti became somewhat anti white.

So says Dominican mythology in its desperate need to show that they aren't black. If the Haitians so badly treated the Polish why did they remain in Haiti and even intermarry with black Haitians. The rule I bet was one put in force just after the revolution aimed at preventing white slave owners from re-entering Haiti.

Trujillo tried hard to get whites to settle in the DR. He treated Haitians and even Cocolos badly. What notions do you draw from that?

Trujillo allowed the entry of tens of thousands of black Haitians to cut cane. And then encouraged the stigmatization of these same people as part of a divide and rule. Dominican elites even today hire illegal Haitians, but then whip up anti Haitianism, exending even to those born in the DR, when they see fit. They want cheap Haitian labor but do not want a Haitian presence in the DR.

The fact remains that a mulatto elite, one that identified very much with "whiteness" has ruled Haiti for a long time. Skin colorism is a major issue in that nation, even today. Its the black Haitians who bleach. The mulatto Haitians stay out of the sun as they don't want to get dark. NOT an anti white society from what I see but I understand why certain Dominicans need to tell themselves this.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:08 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,032,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Please show what Trump has done to make LEGAL immigration harder for people who do not come from the 7 "terrorist" nations. Your family would have had as hard a time under Obama as they do now. I will argue that getting them to Canada isn't any easier. Rich nations don't want people from impoverished countries drowning them out.

At the end of the day if some nations are hell holes its the responsibility of their own people to fix it. If another nation shows compassion, great, but they have no obligation to do so.
He´s chipping away at certain things, believe me:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...513-story.html

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/63892822.cms

Read what I said earlier, carefully. I don´t blame Trump for my present situation. I just think that there is something wrong with waiting 18 months to move my wife and daughter here, and it would be nice if my wife could visit her in-laws in the States while the application is waiting. We filed in January, and until it comes in (could be June 2020 or a little before), a lawyer told us that she had best not visit the USA. They have the right to turn her away at the airport, destroy the entire application, and bar her on accusations of immigration fraud. I know the deal so it doesn´t bother me, it´s just a waiting game. They have to approve our case, which makes us "lucky" compared to most people who can and will be denied for various reasons. 18 months. This is what the "priority express" lane of the immigration system looks like. But I´m good, we´re living well out here. My family isn´t split up, thank God.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Hey Slim, good to hear from my fellow exiled New Orleanian. Yeah dude, we´re still here. Moving in June 2020 when everything comes through. This Carnival season marks my 9th consecutive Mardi Gras away from home, so you can imagine that I´m ready to get back for a minute.

Hope you´re well.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
I dont think the system is inefficient, i think its working as intended.
they dont want brown people here.

Most immigrants to the USA are brown. And to immigrate all they need are qualified relatives, no criminal record, and evidence that they will be self supporting. Depending on the nation waiting takes years.

To get to Canada one will also have to be fluent in either English or French, and have the types of skills needed by Canadian employers. Canada selects the immigrants which it wants. Which is why immigrants to Canada are more educated than those to the USA.

The population of the USA is 9X that of Canada and yet its population of undocumented immigrants is 100x. You aren't going to have an easy time living as an undocumented immigrant in Canada.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
He´s chipping away at certain things, believe me:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...513-story.html

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/63892822.cms

Read what I said earlier, carefully. I don´t blame Trump for my present situation. I just think that there is something wrong with waiting 18 months to move my wife and daughter here, and it would be nice if my wife could visit her in-laws in the States while the application is waiting. We filed in January, and until it comes in (could be June 2020 or a little before), a lawyer told us that she had best not visit the USA. They have the right to turn her away at the airport, destroy the entire application, and bar her on accusations of immigration fraud. I know the deal so it doesn´t bother me, it´s just a waiting game. They have to approve our case, which makes us "lucky" compared to most people who can and will be denied for various reasons. 18 months. This is what the "priority express" lane of the immigration system looks like. But I´m good, we´re living well out here. My family isn´t split up, thank God.
Do not be caught up with the anti Trump hysteria because when Obama was deporting millions of people they had nothing to say. When parents were dumped over the border and had to beg friends to pick up their kids in school no comments from that crowd.

Suddenly they want to use the plight of immigrants as a tool against Trump. They also conflate immigrants as those who are undocumented ignoring the entire process of legal immigration. The result being that Trump will make it harder but we will only hear about Guatemalans being stopped at the border because they wish asylum because "they are poor".

I say this as someone who hates Trump, but also hates hypocrisy. Wrong shouldn't depend on who the president happens to be.

the HI-B situation began to bubble up when US employers wanted to replace Americans in certain fields with Indians as they came cheaper and were compliant. There are certainly some abuses there with H1-B visas being issued even though legal residents of the USA exist to perform those jobs. Note that visa is only to facilitate the hiring of foreigners when legal residents aren't available. It isn't meant to be back door immigration.

in the early 80s my mother was sponsored by her sister who was a US citizen. It took her way more than 18 months to be given her interview. When she sponsored me I was here on a student visa. I wasn't allowed to leave the USA during this period or I wouldn't have been allowed back in. My brother, who was a student in Canada, couldn't visit the USA until his green card came through. This was when Trump was still an unknown factor even as a developer.

I say this to say that what you complain about is normal and in fact you are even lucky. There was always bureaucracy and rudeness from what was then the INS. In the 80s if you wanted to create a stampede in a club with many immigrants all you had to so was scream "Immigration" and masses of people trampled each other to escape.

The #1 reason why I became a naturalized citizen was so that I would no longer have to deal with the infamous 26 Federal Plaza where the INS was housed. Getting into that building to see INS was like visiting a prison.

And I can repeat this tale in Canada as well as I also have relatives who live there. Migrating to another country isn't easy as people wanted to control who enters and lives there. Does Colombia allow Haitians to live there just because they want to? NO! They have to go through a process.

Now an issue that needs to be addressed are those people trying to become legal immigrants from places like India, China and Mexico where the wait might be 10 years or more. Clearly some arrangement for those with family connections to the USA can be arranged. In addition the changes in the 90s when trade unions were hostile to immigration, so forced restrictions on legal immigration should be looked at.

Last edited by caribny; 03-01-2019 at 03:48 PM..

Old 03-01-2019, 03:44 PM

Colombia has taken in a million+ Venezuelans, given them work permits, access to public hospitals, etc. Little to no process involved, really. They walked across to Cúcuta, Arauca or Maicao and they were in. It´s an enormously kind gesture in the crazy times in which we live.

I know my situation is damn lucky compared to most. It doesn´t make it any less ridiculous though. I am trying to say that I feel for all these people. What if you had been denied? How would you feel right now? Congratulations by the way for taking that step, being approved and making a life in the US. I love immigrants and wish there were more legal, transparent avenues for them to immigrate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas