Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 06:47 PM

630 posts, read 525,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Not even that with certain groups.

For example, 1/16th is enough to enroll in the Eastern band of Cherokee in the US.

Op, you're roughly half Native and a substantial amount of European; so that makes you mestizo as it comes. Claim all of it. DNA companies typically group Portugal and Spain under the broader "Iberian Peninsula" category; you are nearly a quarter of that. Historically, they are pretty much the same people, if I'm not mistaken. Portuguese, as a language, has about a 85% similarity with Spanish, so it probably wouldn't be difficult to learn it when you know the latter.

Few countries in Europe, and in the world, have had consistent borders over 10 centuries the way Portugal and Spain have. So historically they are pretty much NOT the same people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 06:50 PM

630 posts, read 525,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I am one percent Jewish and I still claim Jewish heritage, I am just not religiously Jewish.

I don't see what the big deal is.

I mean if a man can say he is a woman why can't someone with thirteen percent Portuguese lineage say he is Portuguese?

Makes no sense to me.

What's wrong with being Salvadorean, just Salvadorean?

Old 08-19-2019, 11:26 PM

671 posts, read 853,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer2019 View Post
I took a DNA test and the results are that I am 13% Portugal and 10% Spain and 10% England, Wales & Northwestern Europe, and then mixed with others. I am 38% Native American from Central America and 10% Native American- Andean which is the region of Peru, Bolivia, Chile and Ecuador. The Native American percentages don't even say what from specific country or the Native American group. I don't like the fact it's not specific enough. I thought that Spain percentage would be higher than Portugal since it was Spain that invaded my country. Is 13% too low for me to claim I am Portugal? How high does the percentage have to be? If I say I am Native American people will ask from what group, what country, etc... And I don't know the answers to that. Portugal is my highest percentage when it comes to the actual country.
what test did you use if I may ask?

I have never seen Spain and Portugal separated so distinctly. They are often lumped together as "Iberian." I have also never seen Native American delineated with any specificity. There is nothing that you can do to

Your results are not surprising. They are what I would expect.

Don't care about what people will think about the percentages. No government or tribe recognizes the tests.. You are what you are and you can use the results as a jumping point to explore the culture of your ancestors and perhaps do genealogy investigations.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:56 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,891,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post

I have never seen Spain and Portugal separated so distinctly. They are often lumped together as "Iberian." I have also never seen Native American delineated with any specificity. There is nothing that you can do to

Don't care about what people will think about the percentages. No government or tribe recognizes the tests.. You are what you are and you can use the results as a jumping point to explore the culture of your ancestors and perhaps do genealogy investigations.
It depends what region of Spain your family is from these calculators sometimes have difficulty splitting up Galicia and Portugal the reason is the two people have a common origin they were the same people until about 1,000 years ago. Some calculators have difficulty splitting Portugal from France accurately and MyHeritage in particular gives Italian and Sardinian estimates to Portuguese people as well as other's the shared common components are very ancient for most people. They still need to refine these calculators.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:27 PM

166 posts, read 97,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post

Ancestry DNA

Old 08-20-2019, 09:10 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,891,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer2019 View Post
Ancestry DNA
Here is mine for comparison when it breaks down the region you can see I have a strong correlation with Portuguese estimated at 75%-100%, Spanish 0%-19% weaker correlation and dubious, North West Europe 0%-6% this is corroborated by genealogical records from multiple lines but very distant. I have very few matches that don't have documented or suspected Portuguese ancestry and those matches are very distant. The Spaniards I match cluster in Galicia, the Canary Islands and Seville. I have found a handful of people in the early 1500's that connect to those areas of Spain so it makes sense but at this point the 19% estimate of Spaniards is likely closer to 0% unless I see something more convincing.
Attached Thumbnails
El Salvador Ancestry DNA-a1.png   El Salvador Ancestry DNA-a2.png   El Salvador Ancestry DNA-a3.png   El Salvador Ancestry DNA-a4.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas