Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 02:57 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,721,600 times

Advertisements

Looks like Dominican’s own Arajet is poised to give JetBlue some more competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2022, 07:22 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
POP still sees a good mix of passengers from Canada/Europe, but it's typically one Canadian flight per day and another one to Europe.

I'm in Puerto Plata right now actually, the airport is just too small to handle that many major flights in and out per day. I flew into the from Colombia this time into Las Americas, but leave the country on United from POP to Newark and then my final destination after that. Currently this summer United is dominating that even more so than the Miami direct route. In May when I flew down on American, the inbound flight actually was direct from Charlotte to POP, and then went back through Miami. JetBlue during the winter at least had a direct route from JFK to POP open if I remember correctly.

Last edited by the resident09; 08-05-2022 at 08:00 AM..

Old 08-08-2022, 12:18 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Why would an airline mistreat a certain population? It doesn’t make sense. Surely many employees on those routes and manning the desks and hosting on the plane are Dominican themselves. Seems to me they’ll just be shootings themselves in the foot.
Airlines do have images of certain populations and single them out for subpar treatment. AA is equally bad so I do not know what choice Dominicans have. I can expand this beyond Dominicans to Caribbean people on the whole.

Old 08-24-2022, 09:34 AM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Looks like Dominican’s own Arajet is poised to give JetBlue some more competition.
Arajet is a serious attempt in creating a new ultra-low cost airlines in Latin America. It has the backing on many investors including some wealthy Dominican families and the Boston based Bain Capital with I forgot how many billions of dollars just for Arajet. This will be one of the largest investments in the DR's history (without question one of the largest investments in the Caribbean and the largest for any Caribbean airlines). All their airplanes are factory new from Boeing. The first time a Latin American airlines starts with brand new airplanes.

They started to sell their tickets to the first routes (all from Santo Domingo) to El Salvador, Guatemala, Lima (Peru), Mexico and other places that includes Colombia. Later in the year they will also start to fly to the USA. The prices for the routes that will start in September are crazy low. Flights from Santo Domingo to El Salvador and back to Santo Domingo came out for less than US$300 which is unheard of. Prices have gone up because thst was part of an inauguration promotions, but they are still the cheapest in the market. Tickets to places like El Salvador and Guatemala were almost sold out within days of starting their sell, mostly middle class Dominicans that wanted to vacation in these places and the exorbitant prices just to get there prohibited them from doing the trip. With Arajet they took advantage of the low fares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh3ICCS74MM

Some of the airplanes of Arajet spotted about a month ago by an amateur at the Las Americas International Airport in Santo Domingo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulmq8HW67yA

Arajet Takes Flight as The Dominican Republic’s New Ultra-Low Cost Airline
https://www.bloomberg.com/press-rele...w-cost-airline

Arajet, New Airline in Caribbean, Orders 20 737 MAX Jets
https://www.bloomberg.com/press-rele...0-737-max-jets

Arajet Announces Tickets Now Available from US$55 to North, Central and South America and the Caribbean
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/araje...145700854.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sua789v_VdY

Another plus is that their crew are going to be all Dominicans (except the pilots which will eventually be all Dominicans, but as of now they only have one). This is good news for Dominicans with stewardship experience in addition to airplane mechanics, etc as it will create more job opportunities for them. Everyone needs to be fluent in Spanish and English.

Last edited by AntonioR; 08-24-2022 at 09:59 AM..

Old 08-24-2022, 09:46 AM

1,215 posts, read 504,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
POP still sees a good mix of passengers from Canada/Europe, but it's typically one Canadian flight per day and another one to Europe.

I'm in Puerto Plata right now actually, the airport is just too small to handle that many major flights in and out per day. I flew into the from Colombia this time into Las Americas, but leave the country on United from POP to Newark and then my final destination after that. Currently this summer United is dominating that even more so than the Miami direct route. In May when I flew down on American, the inbound flight actually was direct from Charlotte to POP, and then went back through Miami. JetBlue during the winter at least had a direct route from JFK to POP open if I remember correctly.
I think Canadians were the first to popularize travel to DR, POP/N. Coast likely back in the 80's...long before Punta Cana became a destination.

Old 08-24-2022, 10:07 AM

It was Europeans and Puerto Plata was known for attracting Germans as expats.

Old 08-26-2022, 06:44 AM

288 posts, read 433,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post

They started to sell their tickets to the first routes (all from Santo Domingo) to El Salvador, Guatemala, Lima (Peru), Mexico and other places that includes Colombia. Later in the year they will also start to fly to the USA. The prices for the routes that will start in September are crazy low. Flights from Santo Domingo to El Salvador and back to Santo Domingo came out for less than US$300 which is unheard of. Prices have gone up because thst was part of an inauguration promotions, but they are still the cheapest in the market. Tickets to places like El Salvador and Guatemala were almost sold out within days of starting their sell, mostly middle class Dominicans that wanted to vacation in these places and the exorbitant prices just to get there prohibited them from doing the trip. With Arajet they took advantage of the low fares.
This will be an interesting option for middle class Dominicans, and vice versa. I know ES and Guatemala were the only two countries for a long while in C.A. that didn't require tourist visas for Dominicans. There was also the multi layover headache. I had a friend that had to fly into Panama City, then San Pedro Sula just to get to Guatemala through Avianca once. Also shows the growing purchasing power in the region, where these routes make sense.

Old 08-26-2022, 10:41 AM

There is another plus that makes El Salvador popular with Dominicana and is the current Salvadoran president Nayib Bukele is declared fan of the DR like few presidents from other countries have shown. Not only has he mentioned the DR as an example for him in many speeches, he has also done things such as the DR was the first country he visited once he became president of El Salvador and he said in Tweet that he is a fan of the Santo Domingo's baseball team Tigres de Licey among other things. The guy is pro-DR, so that strokes on the right keys for many Dominicans.

Here is the Ambassador of El Salvador in Santo Domingo mentioning in a Dominican radio show how much Nayib Bukele likes the DR (in Spanish).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b4LV4WEXUY

One Dominican that lives in NYC actually made a song about Nayib Bukele. Here he sang his song in some reunion among Salvadorans in the USA (notice the blue and white El Salvador flags).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuhBBGM0o_U

Dominican influencer said she will devote her savings into investing in Surf City, El Salvador. That's how much admiration for that country she has after seeing how much admiration Bukele has for the DR (in Spanish).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr0ghH_CmxY

Regardless of his politics, Bukele has increased Dominican admiration for El Salvador and I will not be surprised if it becomes a popular place to go on vacation among middle class Dominicans in the way right now everyone and their mother is obssessed in doing tourism in Colombia. I can see El Salvador becoming one of the most popular place in Central America for visiting Dominicans.

Last edited by AntonioR; 08-26-2022 at 10:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas