Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2022, 06:16 AM

3,993 posts, read 6,804,337 times

Advertisements

Brazil as an independent nation turns 200 years old today, 7 September 2022.

And, contrary to what happened in other countries in similar occasions, nobody is talking much about it in Brazil. No big festivities, no grandiosity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2022, 06:47 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,141,478 times
Interesting, certainly the bi-centennial in America (1976) was massive. It was also a relatively united time with few major problems.

The Brazilian people deserve a celebration and they deserve much better than the awful, anti-environment fascist Balsonaro.

Old 09-07-2022, 06:59 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,565,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Interesting, certainly the bi-centennial in America (1976) was massive. It was also a relatively united time with few major problems.

The Brazilian people deserve a celebration and they deserve much better than the awful, anti-environment fascist Balsonaro.

Happy Birthday Brazil.....unfortunately, the corrupt Lula option is not much better.

Old 09-07-2022, 07:23 AM

5,767 posts, read 11,384,460 times
Happy Birthday Brazil.

I first visited Brazil over 40 years ago, and have traveled around many parts of the country by land (mainly by bus). Brazil has a stunning variety of cities and natural landscapes, although I have only visited places in the southern half - Brasilia, Bahia, Rio, SP, Belo Horizonte, Goiania, Ribeirao Prieto, Londrina, Foz do Iguacu, Curitiba, Florianopolis, Porto Alegre, and dozens of other places in between.

All politics aside, Brazil is a beautiful country with a lot to be proud of in its 200 years of independence.

Old 09-07-2022, 07:48 AM

100 posts, read 61,206 times
celebrate what? Celebrate the 60.000 homicides per year, the low salaries, the long queue in public health. We don't have any reason to celebrate nothing. The majority of Brazilians are disappointed of their own country. These empty events reflect our discouragement.

Old 09-07-2022, 08:16 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,141,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Happy Birthday Brazil.....unfortunately, the corrupt Lula option is not much better.
Wrong, Lulu was much better. You don't get politics in Brazil (or anywhere frankly) without some corruption. Bolsonaro is governing for only a tiny minority of Brazilians and is depleting Brazil of it's natural resources at an alarming rate.

Old 09-07-2022, 09:17 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,447,228 times
As an outsider who watched from afar, I've always been curious about Brazil. My younger brother spent several months down there and now speaks Portuguese fluently. My brother in law travels down there for vacation at least once a year. And I grew up a huge fan of Brazilian footballers.

It is basically the mirror image of the United States. Similar historical backgrounds with native Indian populations, heavy European immigration and African slavery. Both received their independence around roughly the same time period, and yet the two countries have gone on very different paths to development. I wonder why that is.

Old 09-07-2022, 11:08 AM

10,117 posts, read 14,991,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagomechan View Post
celebrate what? Celebrate the 60.000 homicides per year, the low salaries, the long queue in public health. We don't have any reason to celebrate nothing. The majority of Brazilians are disappointed of their own country. These empty events reflect our discouragement.
Independence should always be celebrated and never used as a protest mechanism for political reasons.

The Ukraine celebrated its independence a few weeks ago and everybody knows now is the worst time for that country. People can say whatever they want, but I'm sure Brazil is not in the same predicament the Ukraine is in right now, which is much worst and they still took the time to celebrate.

Old 09-07-2022, 01:30 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,565,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Wrong, Lulu was much better. You don't get politics in Brazil (or anywhere frankly) without some corruption. Bolsonaro is governing for only a tiny minority of Brazilians and is depleting Brazil of it's natural resources at an alarming rate.
It’s Lula, not Lulu, who benefitted from the rise in commodity prices and WAS convicted of money laundering and corruption charges—though later overturned. Like I said, take your pick—far left vs far right.

Old 09-07-2022, 02:57 PM

3,993 posts, read 6,804,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
As an outsider who watched from afar, I've always been curious about Brazil. My younger brother spent several months down there and now speaks Portuguese fluently. My brother in law travels down there for vacation at least once a year. And I grew up a huge fan of Brazilian footballers.

It is basically the mirror image of the United States. Similar historical backgrounds with native Indian populations, heavy European immigration and African slavery. Both received their independence around roughly the same time period, and yet the two countries have gone on very different paths to development. I wonder why that is.
The US has the best universities in the world, and that's since the 19th century.

Brazil neglected education until the 1990's, when it started to be taken a little more seriously here, but it's still far from reaching an acceptable quality level.

The US has Harvard, Stanford, the MIT, Caltech, UCLA, Princeton, Yale, Cornell, Columbia, Duke...

Meanwhile Brazil had a high illiteracy rate as late as 1990. Our elites in Brazil completelly neglected education until the last years of the 20th century. And it's still not taken as seriously as it should in most parts of the country.

Without education you don't have science, without science you don't have technology, without technology you don't have social and economic development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas