Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 10:15 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times

Advertisements

I think this is only controversial in the DR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2023, 01:36 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,493,078 times
Beauty pageants are in and out of themselves going to always cause some people to be upset. Not everyone is going to agree with the choices. Personally, I find women like Alessandra Ambrossio and Adriana Lima more stunning than the top 3 of this year’s Miss Universe.

Old 01-17-2023, 04:00 PM

288 posts, read 433,682 times
From what I've seen, the controversy is more in DR, with obvious bias. And Venezuelans also had some opinions. I think it's a big meh overall, and other than some vocal social media posts, overall no one really cares.

Old 01-18-2023, 07:20 AM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Something that wasn't noticeable until it was pointed out here is the reaction of the other misses immediately after Miss DR came in as runner up and the crown went to Miss USA. Apparently, all the misses surrounded Miss DR to console her while Miss USA was ignored. Did they too expected Miss DR to be the winner? Why?

1:10

https://youtu.be/q0_uMxHD0Nk

Old 01-18-2023, 08:26 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,463,233 times
Don't understand the controversy. These are all the same "type" of women. Miss DR looks like that one singer from the girl group P-cat Dolls.

It's cool watching television broadcasts in certain African countries where women don't have to adhere to bland beauty standards. Things that would get a woman labeled in America are acceptable there. Western world, take note. These pageants and their beauty standards are archaic (and I am no one's feminist).

Old 01-18-2023, 11:19 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I think if Miss USA would had been extremely stunning or Miss Venezuela had won, this controversy would not had arisen.
For what it's worth, I think Miss Venezuela and Miss Dominican Republic are both prettier than Miss U.S.A., but to each their own. And no, I don't think Miss U.S.A. is ugly, just that the other two are prettier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
I bet the miss USA was the most woke. Hands down.
Well yeah, "wokeness" by definition involves outrage over first-world problems. Venezuela and the Dominican Republic are not first-world countries, so the people in those countries have actual problems to deal with, including Miss Venezuela and Miss Dominican Republic, who have more than likely seen and experienced those problems themselves.

Old 01-18-2023, 01:10 PM

1,216 posts, read 507,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
For what it's worth, I think Miss Venezuela and Miss Dominican Republic are both prettier than Miss U.S.A., but to each their own. And no, I don't think Miss U.S.A. is ugly, just that the other two are prettier.

Well yeah, "wokeness" by definition involves outrage over first-world problems. Venezuela and the Dominican Republic are not first-world countries, so the people in those countries have actual problems to deal with, including Miss Venezuela and Miss Dominican Republic, who have more than likely seen and experienced those problems themselves.

All of them likely have woke garbage on their Bios webpages etc.

Old 01-18-2023, 05:38 PM

881 posts, read 921,784 times
Miss Universe doesn't have any relevance to be something controversial. It's just a random contest with arbitrary rules.

Old 01-22-2023, 08:32 AM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
It has been a werk since the Miss Universe pageant and what is published today in the Dominican media?

If we go by El Caribe, the title should read like this in English:

"The Miss Universe Didn't Shower Daily"

Quote:
The Miss Universe has revealed that when she was crowned she hadn't wash her hair since January 1. She didn't do it for this interview given to the American media Insider.
Quote:
In the same manner, she confessed that she didn't took daily showers in order to conserve her tan and show her body as perfect as possible.

"I self-tan because I'm naturally pale. When you are in a stage, the lights make you look whiter..."
Quote:
"In reality I felt so dirty when I made it to the finalists."
https://www.elcaribe.com.do/gente/la...e-el-concurso/

Keep in mind that when it comes to personal higiene, Dominicans are very clean with taking multiple showers in one day quite common. Some might think that this is common in the tropics, but I don't know about that given that people from sone tropical countries do have an image among Fominicans of smelling more often that not. It isn't as if there are many tropical people with this image in the DR, for example Puerto Ricans and Cubans don't have that image. In fact, Dominicans tend to be so clean with their bodies, that people from certain nationalities (to avoid controversy they will remain nameless) in Europe and The Americas (to be clear, Americans aren't known for this) are known for having a "funny smell." Of course, for many of them they can't detect the BO, but Dominicans can. There was once a case in a Puerto Plata supermarket on the checkout line as there was an expat couple for a certain country in Europe which will remain nameless and several Dominicans made some not-so-quiet comments complaining of the smell. Hopefulky the couple didn't know Spanish! The major culprit is not taking daily showers and some people from certain countries in Europe think that bathing in the ocean and sea that washes on Dominican beaches is a good reason to not take a proper shower that day. It has come to the level that sone Europeans are known as "very good looking people, but smelly." A story like the one published in El Caribe isn't as innocent in a country where personal higiene is taken seriously (I wish the same seriousness was applied when littering the streets, but I digress.)

Last edited by AntonioR; 01-22-2023 at 08:48 AM..

Old 02-03-2023, 01:49 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,463,233 times
Taking multiple showers a day doesn't mean you won't have a scent. Perhaps it's your incompatibilty with these people that you are smelling. I find it hard to believe Europeans of any ilk would be rejected by Dominicans, but I suppose I could make educated guesses if I cared enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas