Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2023, 09:06 PM

8,758 posts, read 9,493,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
Any particular reason for Lima? Other Peruvian cities have a LCOL.
The beauty of the areas I have visited, super clean, the cuisine is some of the best of all the places I have visited thus far, the cooler temps this time of year, it will just be starting to warm up a bit during September. Miraflores' mix of cosmopolitan city with beauty of beach view near Larcomar shopping center and all of the malecon area is breathtaking. The beach itself isn't anything to write home about, but the views at the malecon are spectacular. I really enjoyed my time there and fell in love with the area. I did stay in a few other areas including Barranco, but, I preferred Miraflores. But, on my next visit, after a stop in Lima, I will head further north up the coast to visit the nicer beaches near or in Mancora.

Last edited by TRosa; 08-17-2023 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2023, 10:21 PM

10,296 posts, read 15,160,145 times
The only "problem" that I see about Lima is the overcast days that lasts months. I can't live permanently in a place like that. Many Limeños like that, but they grew up in that. It is what they know since birth. Anyone used to having many sunny days even during the rainy season, getting used to Lima's weather pattern can be challenging, at least if living there permanently. The overcast issue isn't a problem during their summers, its the rest of the year that can be a problem.

It has always been like that, but I don't know how much of that will change with climate change. Increase of the ocean or not, Lima has been ready. lol

Old 08-18-2023, 09:02 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,251,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Draper View Post
I would like to know if anyone here has done this. What countries did you consider? I'm look at Colombia and Ecuador. This is a 3 year plan, so just getting started. Will learn Spanish before going. Would love to know others experience with this.
Im in Brazil. But have been coming here for almost 2 decades. Prior to making it my part time home I was fully entrenched in the culture of the city I parcticularly settled in, and became conversational in the language. Also, I had a robust social circle as support. Im a small business owner as well.

My advice is wherever you choose, frequent as much as you possibly can. Learn the language and local culture, and come with cultural humility. Meet real people and make real friendships. Aalso learn as much about the local bureaurocracy. This is at a high level.

Any other questions post on the board, Ill be glad to assist.

Old 10-17-2023, 02:40 AM

535 posts, read 614,099 times
I lived in Colombia for 3 years, Guatemala for a year, Mexico for a year, back to Colombia for about .5 years before leaving LA for good. You can't really go wrong with any of those, I enjoyed all three. All 3 can be very affordable.

Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM

375 posts, read 579,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The only "problem" that I see about Lima is the overcast days that lasts months. I can't live permanently in a place like that. Many Limeños like that, but they grew up in that. It is what they know since birth. Anyone used to having many sunny days even during the rainy season, getting used to Lima's weather pattern can be challenging, at least if living there permanently. The overcast issue isn't a problem during their summers, its the rest of the year that can be a problem.

It has always been like that, but I don't know how much of that will change with climate change. Increase of the ocean or not, Lima has been ready. lol
You don't get overcast days that 'last for months'.

You get fog in the morning and you get foggy days and 'garua' in the winter but you get some amazing days in Spring/Summer and Autumn - when the sun is out and it's around midday - it's perfect weather, 23 degrees.

And even in the winter you can get nice days, if you want overcast days that last months, try the UK.

Old Today, 09:27 AM

30,766 posts, read 19,421,566 times
I would say Chile, Argentina, and Uraguay in that order. Mexico has some nice areas so I would consider a few spots in Mexico as well.

I lived and worked in Arequipa, Peru which I liked as well. I also liked Miraflores area of Lima.

Old Today, 09:56 AM

10,296 posts, read 15,160,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejarano View Post
You don't get overcast days that 'last for months'.

You get fog in the morning and you get foggy days and 'garua' in the winter but you get some amazing days in Spring/Summer and Autumn - when the sun is out and it's around midday - it's perfect weather, 23 degrees.

And even in the winter you can get nice days, if you want overcast days that last months, try the UK.
The lack of direct sunshine in Lima for much of its time is one of the things many Limeños say they like. Lima is in the tropics (even if the climate isn’t tropical in much of the urban area), so a lot of direct sunshine there is serious business.

Old Today, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The lack of direct sunshine in Lima for much of its time is one of the things many Limeños say they like. Lima is in the tropics (even if the climate isn’t tropical in much of the urban area), so a lot of direct sunshine there is serious business.
It doesn't have a 'lack' of direct sunshine, it suffers from coastal fog which is evident in the morning but clears up around 10 am and you have 'garua' in winter - you get plenty of sunny days in Lima - especially late spring, summer and autumn - even in winter you get sunny days.

What you originally stated - that Lima gets overcast days that 'last months' is just not true.

Old Today, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I would say Chile, Argentina, and Uraguay in that order. Mexico has some nice areas so I would consider a few spots in Mexico as well.

I lived and worked in Arequipa, Peru which I liked as well. I also liked Miraflores area of Lima.
A lot of Lima is very nice, family lives in Jesus Maria and that is a nice barrio with everything there. Arequipa is nice but much prefer Lima.

Old Today, 12:01 PM

30,766 posts, read 19,421,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejarano View Post
A lot of Lima is very nice, family lives in Jesus Maria and that is a nice barrio with everything there. Arequipa is nice but much prefer Lima.
I know there are other nice barrios in Lima, I always stayed in Miraflores when I went to Lima and know they have premium restaurants and bars, etc.

I really like Arequipa, the climate was fantastic. I have a friend where I live now that's from Arequipa and she told me safety has deteriorated a bit in Arequipa. I felt safe in Arequipa myself an had no incidents personally although I knew people that were robbed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas