Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2023, 07:29 AM

932 posts, read 503,910 times

Advertisements

I would like to know if anyone here has done this. What countries did you consider? I'm look at Colombia and Ecuador. This is a 3 year plan, so just getting started. Will learn Spanish before going. Would love to know others experience with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2023, 06:12 PM

233 posts, read 231,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Draper View Post
I would like to know if anyone here has done this. What countries did you consider? I'm look at Colombia and Ecuador. This is a 3 year plan, so just getting started. Will learn Spanish before going. Would love to know others experience with this.
A while ago, I started a thread titled "Best 2nd and 3rd tier Latin America cities (life, cost, country)" and listed a few so called second or third-tier cities in Latam to consider. Check it out: https://www.city-data.com/forum/amer...n-america.html

Old 08-10-2023, 02:56 PM

4,594 posts, read 2,315,082 times
My husband and I are on a 3-4 year plan to move out of the country. We are doing a Panama Relocation tour in June 2024. We are trying to learn basic Spanish but we also plan on first going to a more ex-pat area where we can do a soft landing. Honestly, the language is the scariest part. We found out today that Google has ear pods that live translate. This may be a game changer.

Old 08-10-2023, 04:22 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,254,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
My husband and I are on a 3-4 year plan to move out of the country. We are doing a Panama Relocation tour in June 2024. We are trying to learn basic Spanish but we also plan on first going to a more ex-pat area where we can do a soft landing. Honestly, the language is the scariest part. We found out today that Google has ear pods that live translate. This may be a game changer.
That Panama relocation tour looks nice, I would take one I think if wife was interested.

Old 08-10-2023, 06:31 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,296,786 times
Quote:
I see you're in Florida.
Any particular reason why you wish to locate? HCOL? Political climate? These are the reasons many give for leaving.

Old 08-11-2023, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
I see you're in Florida.
Any particular reason why you wish to locate? HCOL? Political climate? These are the reasons many give for leaving.

Yes we are in Florida and we love it here. I have lived here 23 years. But the US is going in a direction that we don't like so I guess you can call it political climate. And the high cost of everything is going to be a challenge in retirement. All of our kids live in the US and that will be the biggest concern but we can certainly fly back once or twice a year and make the rounds to see all of them.

Old 08-11-2023, 07:51 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,296,786 times
Quote:
Yes we are in Florida and we love it here. I have lived here 23 years. But the US is going in a direction that we don't like so I guess you can call it political climate. And the high cost of everything is going to be a challenge in retirement. All of our kids live in the US and that will be the biggest concern but we can certainly fly back once or twice a year and make the rounds to see all of them.
Thanks, I've been to Panama a couple of times but only Panama City. They use US currency so that can be beneficial.

Old 08-13-2023, 07:53 AM

932 posts, read 503,910 times
How does Panama's COL compare to the U.S.? I'm seeing inflation everywhere, even in Colombia. In Colombia I still think you can live well on $49k a year. Totally agree with you on the political climate in America. Thats also why I want out. Well that and the fact I love Latin American culture. My Spanish lessons start next week. I know basic Spanish from high school, but that was many years ago. Still, I have a strong desire to learn it even if I never leave the U.S.

Old 08-13-2023, 06:55 PM

626 posts, read 1,246,404 times
Quote:
As an Ecuadorian, it pains me to advice you not to go at the moment.
Political and social unrest are not suitable. For starters, there will be presidential elections soon and one of the main candidates was murdered/shot a few days ago as he was coming out of a rally. Add that to the crime wave that drug cartels and local gangs have created. The current Ecuadorian President has given up his 4 year mandate (took over in 2021), hence the early elections. It is believed that gangs like the "Choneros", "Lagartos", "Lobos", to name a few, are on cahoots with Mexican Narco Cartels (Sinaloa cartel and CJNG=Cartel Jalisco Nueva) Generación).

My apologies for the OT. I wish you luck and success on your move.

I pray for my people.

My 02. cents.

Old 08-14-2023, 01:49 PM

Quote:
How does Panama's COL compare to the U.S.? I'm seeing inflation everywhere, even in Colombia. In Colombia I still think you can live well on $49k a year. Totally agree with you on the political climate in America. Thats also why I want out. Well that and the fact I love Latin American culture. My Spanish lessons start next week. I know basic Spanish from high school, but that was many years ago. Still, I have a strong desire to learn it even if I never leave the U.S.

You can look it up on various international relocation sites. It is cheaper in your live more frugally and is dependent on where you live. Buy Panamanian food products instead of food imported from the US. I have a budget constructed and all in (all expenses like food, insurance, cell phones, propane, water, healthcare and $1500 for rent (you can find places much cheaper but I wanted to overestimate) looks like 3K per month. That would leave us with a good amount left over to travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas