Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 11:48 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,718,500 times

Advertisements

I'll try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 01:48 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,718,500 times
Where did he cut and paste that old post from?

$122 for a family of 4 to eat? I'd love to see that!

Old 04-08-2012, 08:37 PM

720 posts, read 806,980 times
Default House values have suffered in AK, just not as much

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
I dont know what the rate is but Alaska certainly is not suffering like many other states. And our housing prices have also remained steady over the past 3 years. There is no bubble here.
Home values stalled in Alaska and have gone down in the last five years. They just haven't been hit as hard as other parts of the country. More expensive homes are harder to sell in this economy too, so many homeowners in the more expensive neighborhoods, who bought 5-8 years ago, are either losing money on home sales or not selling homes they do want to sell. It is a buyer's market here too, which is great for buyers because homes are seriously overpriced for the quality here.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:45 PM

19,225 posts, read 16,723,434 times
Quote:
Then why are you arguing about it? CA is vast and there are many different climates in that state, just as there is here in Alaska.
Your posts make little sense.
I had no idea that Alaska has different climates. That's pretty interesting. I haven't been to Alaska so I cannot say whether it's bad or good but, from photos I've seen, it' sure is beautiful!

Old 04-08-2012, 08:56 PM

Default How about some factual info to back up your statements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Surely your joking? Within the next ten years Texas will be overrun by illegals aliens. Their ship is sinking fast along with Arizona.

tigre79 offered some support for his or her point-of-view. How about you do the same regarding your wild claim that problems in AZ, and soon to be TX, are due to being overrun by illegal aliens? Because just your thinking something and saying or writing it doesn't make it so.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:03 PM

This dear moose, a downtown fixture for years, has died since this photo was taken. )<:

Old 04-08-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Texas has a much better Economy then Alaska.
And Alaskans bend over for the oil companies, like serfs, so they can bleed the last bit of oil out of us they can for the highest profit, at our expense, before they wave adios for good and move on without looking back. Alaskans keep voting in toadies who help them do it to us. Too many people here are so fearful of having no jobs they allow themselves to be sucker punched by the oil companies and our elected officials in Juneau. They can't seem to grasp the jobs are going to be gone regardless so if they really want to stay here and have a way to earn a living, they need to support thinking outside the box and moving on to new ventures, while making the oil companies pay us what they pay the peoples of other places they do business, our fair share. As long as that mentality reigns, there are no bragging rights over a rosy future economy for Alaska.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Climate; well if you like 110, yes

Tourist Attractions; if you are into that sort of thing, CA does have a large variety but Alaska has a different and less expensive "tourist attraction" called NATURE.

Educated Folks; honestly, when we lived there, I did not see any more of them in CA then I see here.

Cost of Living; I found to be extremely similar to AK

Schools, in the Bay Area (where we lived) they were awful! Schools in Alaska seem to be doing better then those in CA.
Are you serious? Nothing in Alaska is inexpensive, except for sitting in a public place (since we pay no state or local taxes) staring in to space! You can't just go out in nature here unprepared because it is wilderness. Supplies cost money and everything in Alaska is priced higher than it is in the rest of the country, except for Hawaii. Any help, like guides for instance, is super expensive. Transportation? Expensive! Outdoor gear and clothes? Expensive! Recreational activities? Expensive! Hotels and restaurants? Expensive, even for crap! Get real.

Educated folks? Alaska is below average in our number of college graduates living in the state. Not so for CA.

Schools? Alaska schools are in trouble and we have the highest drop-out rate in the country.

We also have the highest rape and domestic violence rates.

If you want to engage in a bragfest contest at least focus on what is great about Alaska, without having to believe Alaska is as good as or better in every way than every other state.

Know that most, if not all, of what Alaskans value about our state enough to stick it out here are not high up on a list of must-haves for most people in the country. For a vacation maybe, but not when it comes to daily life. That's why people across the globe have descended on CA for the last 70 +years. It is also why we can't say the same about Alaska.

Just because Texans have an unrealistic view of how fabulously great their state is compared to the rest of country doesn't mean we have to do the same.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I am talking about overall. Best climate, scenery, tourist attractions, educated folks.
Best climate: In Alaska, not by a long shot.

Scenery: In Alaska, absolutely.

Tourist attractions: In Alaska, few and expensive.

Educated folks: In Alaska, not that many and they get drowned out by the Palinistas and bible thumpers (we have TX to thank for them).

Old 04-08-2012, 10:26 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,703,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrdr View Post
tigre79 offered some support for his or her point-of-view. How about you do the same regarding your wild claim that problems in AZ, and soon to be TX, are due to being overrun by illegal aliens? Because just your thinking something and saying or writing it doesn't make it so.
??? You must not read the newpaper, watch TV or travel much. Head down to Yuma, AZ and ask anyone that works with ICE what's really happening on the border. Head down to south Texas and try to find a McDonalds where the order taker speaks English. As they say, "the proof is in the pudding"

Also, a very interesting read.

150 Miles of Hell*|*Men’s Journal

Drug smugglers and human traffickers have seized control of a narrow corridor of untamed Arizona desert along the U.S.–Mexico border, turning ranches — and even backyards — into killing fields. A visit to the most lawless place in America.

If you need more info and data then do your own effin' research. I've seen enough 1st hand to convince me that the threat is real and not imagined....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage