Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2010, 08:19 PM

123 posts, read 201,916 times

Advertisements

I am from NJ and here unions are very powerful. They influence elections and everything. I am wondering if the union in Alaska are anywhere near as powerful there? My husband is a union member here in NJ but we want to move to Alaska and am not sure how important the union there is. Is it worth trying to get into the union?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 11:45 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,716,449 times
I dont think they are as powerful and I know you can get a great job without being union (construction wise) but I'm not 100% up to speed with the unions. I know DH has worked construction for the past 10 years here and only been with the union once for like 4 weeks.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:07 AM

27 posts, read 63,465 times
Unions' power is modest at best, from what I've seen so far. It's really no different than on a national scale... various state and federal regulations over the years have filled the void that was the original need for unions (minimum wage, health and safety, etc.). Of course there are still exceptions in some pockets of the country because of an ingrained culture, but I haven't seen that Alaska is in that situation.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:33 AM

In nj its virtually impossible to work at all without a union. even the people at mcdonalds and the grocery store are union employees. we checked out the union website for anchorage and the seem to have a good wage contract but it can be difficult to transfer unions and im just wondering if its worth the effort ya know?

Old 11-17-2010, 11:49 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,716,449 times
I don't know. Sorry. I know DH has gotten work easily and had good wages without the "help" of a union.
I read in the other thread your family is in the plumbing trade. There is work for here that. But one word of caution, DO NOT work for a company called KLEBS.

Good Luck

Old 11-17-2010, 09:19 PM

27 posts, read 63,465 times
Transfer unions? The company is the employer, not the union.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:55 AM

Well techinically his job has an in house union so the union is the job. But as far as transferring unions, one problem (which I am waiting for an answer from the union in AK, but the arent returning my email) is that the union in AK has a 5 year apprenticeship and his union here has a 3 year apprenticeship. We arent sure if he will be considered a journeyman in AK or if he is going to have to be an apprentice again.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:03 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,923,610 times
Alaska has one of the largest union memberships in the nation at about 22%. New Jersey is about 19%. Unions are strong in Alaska but not as vocal as they were during the peak of the pipeline days in the 70's and early 80's. They can influence elections but they do it subtly.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:34 PM

376 posts, read 832,333 times
I work for the state and we are unionized. I know they have helped with a few of my co-workers that had some wage issues. So, I do think there are some areas in which they work aggressively. They help provide good benefits for us. I still have yet to see how the health care plan has yet to affect the union though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage