Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 02:22 PM

131 posts, read 277,874 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

I am considering a 13 week assignment in Anchorage in January, no I'm not crazy, it's a pretty good paying gig!

Some things I'd like to know:

-any word on Providence hospital?
-are the roads snow covered daily, is it recommened to have 4 wheel drive? I'm not the most experienced driving in snow, but know to go slow, super slow. Are the roads flat or hilly and icy all winter?
-I get there's little sunchine, is it also unbearably cold and windy, or just cold?? I've lived in Chicago and Michigan in the winter, so I'm no stranger to ten degree temps!
-What do people do in the winter?? Are there any places to visit? Like daytrips? I've always wanted to visit Alaska and never thought it would be in the winter. Will I still get to see some things, such as beautiful nature??
-If you were me, where would you want to live?? How are the neighborhoods that are close to the hospital??

Any input appreciated!!!!!!! Thanks alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 03:13 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,922 times
Weather in Anchorage should be similar to that where you have already been. Cold Windy, snowy, icy etc. You name it we get it. Roads here are mostly snowy, and icy. Hills and flats. If you are not well versed in driving in the snow I do recommend a 4x4 or all-wheel drive vehicle. Studded tires are a must have.

What section of Providence will you be working in? I am familiar with the civilian point of view of the L&D section.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:20 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin'bones View Post
Hi everyone.

I am considering a 13 week assignment in Anchorage in January, no I'm not crazy, it's a pretty good paying gig!

Some things I'd like to know:

-any word on Providence hospital?
-are the roads snow covered daily, is it recommened to have 4 wheel drive? I'm not the most experienced driving in snow, but know to go slow, super slow. Are the roads flat or hilly and icy all winter?
-I get there's little sunchine, is it also unbearably cold and windy, or just cold?? I've lived in Chicago and Michigan in the winter, so I'm no stranger to ten degree temps!
-What do people do in the winter?? Are there any places to visit? Like daytrips? I've always wanted to visit Alaska and never thought it would be in the winter. Will I still get to see some things, such as beautiful nature??
-If you were me, where would you want to live?? How are the neighborhoods that are close to the hospital??

Any input appreciated!!!!!!! Thanks alot.
The municipality is pretty good at snow removal. Within 72 hours of a major snow storm they will have all the roads in Anchorage cleared of snow, and a couple days after that all the major intersections will be sanded.

Anchorage winters are closer to Omaha, NE, as far as temperature is concerned. Typically in the +10°F to +20°F range. However, February does tend to get colder. Sometimes dropping to -20°F but usually not for more than a day or two before warming up again. Winter is the second prettiest season of the year, and a lot less crowded.

February is the month-long Fur Rondy celebration in Anchorage. So there will be lots of activities are available. The Iditarod begins March 5, 2011 and will start in Anchorage.

If I were working at Providence, I would be looking to live in the University, Airport Heights, or Campbell Park areas.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:39 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Prov is the big player in town. Very busy. Where will you be working?

Old 11-30-2010, 02:40 PM

131 posts, read 277,874 times
Thanks so much for the input---much appreciation!

I have, however, decided to postpone the Alaska adventure until the weather is better, when I can really explore Alaska's beautiful country-side!! I don't want to miss the best parts if I'm there.

Thanks again for the replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage