Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 01:58 PM

28 posts, read 41,699 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone

I first visited AK in 2008 and I immediately loved it.
I visited again in 2010 and re-confirmed how much I love it.

I spent several weeks in Anchorage/Wasilla working and I met several people who had just recently moved to Alaska.

Initially I thought: "wow! A lot of people are moving here!"

I then wondered if that is really the case.

For those of you who live in AK, what do you expect will happen in Anchorage (in terms of growth) in the next 7 to 10 years?
Ive looked at stats but sometimes its a lot more telling to hear from people who actually LIVE there.

thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 02:34 PM

225 posts, read 402,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
Hello everyone

I first visited AK in 2008 and I immediately loved it.
I visited again in 2010 and re-confirmed how much I love it.

I spent several weeks in Anchorage/Wasilla working and I met several people who had just recently moved to Alaska.

Initially I thought: "wow! A lot of people are moving here!"

I then wondered if that is really the case.

For those of you who live in AK, what do you expect will happen in Anchorage (in terms of growth) in the next 7 to 10 years?
Ive looked at stats but sometimes its a lot more telling to hear from people who actually LIVE there.

thanks in advance.
No offense but, I for one would like to see it shrink. Seems to me that the majority of the people are here for the $$$$$. MHO, I remember as a kid, my dad talking to his freiends and said, " if Alaska becomes a state,it will go right down the toilet" I think he meant outhouse, that's all we had.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskabushrat View Post
No offense but, I for one would like to see it shrink. Seems to me that the majority of the people are here for the $$$$$. MHO, I remember as a kid, my dad talking to his freiends and said, " if Alaska becomes a state,it will go right down the toilet" I think he meant outhouse, that's all we had.
Im not offended by your opinion. Thats ok with me.

Im guessing though by your reaction that you are expecting it to grow?

And when you say 'people are here for the $$$$$' - Isnt it fairly expensive to live in Anchorage when comparing to similar sized cities?

Old 03-13-2011, 02:44 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,726,486 times
I think it's growing. We have a lot of people moving into the city from the villages and since Alaska was one of the few states that was not terribly effected by the recession, people are moving here for jobs.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:47 PM

225 posts, read 402,641 times
Default Money, money, money

If it wasn't for the oil and the mining, you would not see this many people here and it wouldn't be so populated. Right now, I just hope Pebble goes away.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:54 PM

Thanks roadfamily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskabushrat View Post
If it wasn't for the oil and the mining, you would not see this many people here and it wouldn't be so populated. Right now, I just hope Pebble goes away.
Im sorry if I am very clueless about these things, but do people working for oil+mining live in Anchorage? I would think it would grow the more remote areas and not Anchorage so much.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:36 PM

Anchorage seems to be homebase for most people. The mines are usually located far from a town. Take the Pogo Mine up by Delta Junction. It's about 60 miles by air from Delta. Most workers there commute to Fairbanks then catch a flight to the mine. They stay at the mine for 3 weeks on/ 1 week off. I have a lot of friends that have husbands that work on the slope (oil). Prudoe Bay is no place to raise a family. Besides when you are making the kind of money you make on the slope, you can have one heck of a nice house here in Anchorage. I think they have a 2 weeks on/ 2 weeks off schedule.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Anchorage seems to be homebase for most people. The mines are usually located far from a town. Take the Pogo Mine up by Delta Junction. It's about 60 miles by air from Delta. Most workers there commute to Fairbanks then catch a flight to the mine. They stay at the mine for 3 weeks on/ 1 week off. I have a lot of friends that have husbands that work on the slope (oil). Prudoe Bay is no place to raise a family. Besides when you are making the kind of money you make on the slope, you can have one heck of a nice house here in Anchorage. I think they have a 2 weeks on/ 2 weeks off schedule.
Yeah I actually met 2 guys in Kodiak who had similar schedules.

One was originally from Michigan the other was from Fairbanks I believe.

The guy from Michigan did not give me the impression he would stay after his contract was up.

This is what I am wondering about. It seems like with the military, the oil, the mining there is a lot of transient people in/around Anchorage.

Im just curious if this will last.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:17 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,051,614 times
I think it's still growing. Lots of info here:

Current Population Estimates

Old 03-14-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
Yeah I actually met 2 guys in Kodiak who had similar schedules.

One was originally from Michigan the other was from Fairbanks I believe.

The guy from Michigan did not give me the impression he would stay after his contract was up.

This is what I am wondering about. It seems like with the military, the oil, the mining there is a lot of transient people in/around Anchorage.

Im just curious if this will last.

At the rate this state is going with the gas and oil, no, it wont last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage