Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 12:33 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,851,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I agree that for someone moving up who's never been here, one of the more populated areas is a better choice, especially if employment is a consideration. Anchorage is a good central location from which to explore other places and job options, and there's less likelihood of getting "stuck" there because of lack of jobs.

And some people....might say that they've always dreamed of living in a remote cabin, and then when you dig a little deeper, they really don't want to be more than ten miles out. Some people apply lower 48 standards to Alaska when they talk/think about how they want to live.

For some, the culture shock isn't so much the difference between where they currently live and how Alaska actually is, it's the difference between their fantasy and the reality.
And see, this is the type of thing that makes it damn near impossible to explain a place like Alaska over the internet, because you get so many responses saying, "Well, there's really no way to describe it, you just need to come here and see for yourself." And for me, that kinda adds to the excitement and mystique of Alaska. And now I can say that I only have about a year left until it's time to get up to Alaska and see for myself whether this dream can/should become a reality. Despite the user name, I'm no fool. I know when something is bigger than I can handle, and I see no shame in saying, "It's not for me."

Still though, I've pushed my limits, and they are very high when I dig deep. I think most people's limits are, when you get down to it. Based on the variety of personalities and lifestyles represented just on this forum alone, I think the statement, "I could never live in Alaska," is a rather silly one. "Wouldn't want to," now I could understand that one. Some people don't like the cold. And some people don't like adventure either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 04:05 AM

11 posts, read 25,139 times
Just catching up on this thread I started.

Wow. Anchorage Blues. Lots of Alaskans have had them, and many future Alaskans are concerned they might.
It's true. Anchorage is definitely not what most people would think of when they think of AK. It's big, spread out, rather fast paced, and in my opinion ugly. My opinion only.

I must explain however that I Love Alaska. This state and her people have been very kind to me. Gotten to see and do and be a part of very beautiful things here. This is my home. For half my life now as I approach "middle age".(wtf?)

Thank you for the ideas on ways to get out and about. I tend to be a slug after winter, or a big change like leaving southeast and my friends has been. Needing a kick start. I am still looking for a good place to meet a single 42 year old woman who likes to blacktail deer hunt, fly airplanes to goofy destinations, and read for pleasure in Anchorage though. Any ideas? Whatever you do, don't try Craigslist. Ugh. I shoulda known, she couldn't spell Asian correctly.

I digress. Ship, I got your back if and when you show. You need a job, I will try to hook you up. Pretty lame stuff like washing oil off old airplanes, and moving heavy stuff, but let me know if you are needing something. I'll do my best. Appalachian people stick together.

Anchorage, not so bad. Good job, roof over my head, and always a brighter day ahead.

Be safe and have fun. Come on up, the water's fine. Alaska and Alaskans Rock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage